ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 239 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Honestly, I think the opposite will happen, and the Big Ten will move down the eastern seaboard by adding Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Miami.

It’s also entirely possible if the next media right contract isn’t escalated, some of the bottom feeder schools will get dropped to maintain the average revenue for the more profitable schools. In this scenario, Big Ten schools like Purdue, Northwestern and Rutgers could be in danger. In the SEC, schools like Vanderbilt and Mississippi State could also become available.

Agreed and I painted the scenario in an earlier post. I think whoever moves first on this will win and as dumb as it sounds I'm hoping the SEC moves first and has a desire to add the Northeast Market to their media rights portfolio.....or the Big 10 decides to lock down the entire Northeast.

I don't know the inner workings of the media deals...but as a youtube tv subscriber I have the Big10 net and I have the SEC net but I never watch them, ever. So it's one thing to have the channels it's another thing if people actually watch them. You need viewers to sell advertising.

It seems like the ACC has been dangling in the wind for a decade or more. Was hoping to finally see something happen. I guess we all should have known better.

Was the cancellation just a routine thing? Did UNC change her mind again, that crazy dingbat?

I have no idea what the hell is going on.
You're not the only one. For example--the CEO's of all 15 ACC schools.

Yes, if they are willing to pay the same money without those teams then i would consider it dead weight

Following the bouncing ball in this thread I would think it increases payout for the rest of the conference via the subscriber money increasing and cal and Stanford taking nothing/much less. If there is no benefit to anyone that's a different matter.

It seems like the ACC has been dangling in the wind for a decade or more. Was hoping to finally see something happen. I guess we all should have known better.

Was the cancellation just a routine thing? Did UNC change her mind again, that crazy dingbat?

I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Are the other power conferences done for now or maybe with all this smoke around joining the ACC the Big 12 or BIG has reached out and possibly are reconsidering adding more? Especially if they can help further weaken the ACC?

C'mon Scooch! You are smarter than this.

The SEC clearly covets the Bahamas.

Bermuda is a much better fit for the ACC. We have to act fast before the B12 snatches them up.

C'mon Scooch! You are smarter than this.

The SEC clearly covets the Bahamas.

Bermuda is a much better fit for the ACC. We have to act fast before the B12 snatches them up.
Why can’t the ACC grab schools in Canada and Mexico? Then we can become the NACC (North American Collegiate Conference) haha.

Doesn't it really come down to whether you think the ACC can survive and maintain access to the highest level of competition in its current form less FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA or not? If not, then it needs to expand, and if it needs to expand what options does it have?
I’m not sure that taking third tier Pac 12 schools does anything to address a problem that won’t arise for another 10 years.

Unless Apple TV buys out ESPN.
They will be even more stingy then ESPN. Apple isn't the only company that makes margin on their Smartphones and CE products by accident. Diligent cost management, oppressive contracts with suppliers, the deepest ecosystem globally are why they are successful, not their willingness to spend outlandishly. If they were entering on their own? Maybe, but if they buy ESPN, they will drive down cost as much as possible

I’m not sure that taking third tier Pac 12 schools does anything to address a problem that won’t arise for another 10 years.
My thought is that adding Stanford, Cal, and SMU would position the ACC better to make a move in 3-7 years, whenever the Big 12 contract leaves it weakest to being raided. If you aim for a super conference that includes a western flank, it's hard to see adding it all at once and it's hard to count to six or seven teams without Stanford.

Moves should be made if they are accretive OR if they are neutral or close to it on a pro rata basis and enhance future optionality.

Not sure who's supposedly making threats here.

I see eventual 12 team playoffs as:
4 from B1G
4 from SEC
1 from B12
1 from ACC
Notre Dame (effectively but not automatic)
1 from best of the other conferences (2 if ND has a down year)

Best case after GOR is that a merged B12/ACC keeps 2 auto bids or at least 1. Otherwise, all non-Big 2 will be lumped together and compete for 2 or 3 spots (since ND isn't automatic, just most likely to get one).

My thought is that adding Stanford, Cal, and SMU would position the ACC better to make a move in 3-7 years, whenever the Big 12 contract leaves it weakest to being raided. If you aim for a super conference that includes a western flank, it's hard to see adding it all at once and it's hard to count to six or seven teams without Stanford.

Moves should be made if they are accretive OR if they are neutral or close to it on a pro rata basis and enhance future optionality.

Also IMO those former PAC teams are going to miss playing in and recruiting in California. Which will make it easier to poach them.

I think the move would be Stanford, Cal, SMU now. Then in 4-5 years Houston, Arizona State, and one more to get to 20. The first choice would be pulling a 2012 and taking the cornerstone program Kansas, like what the ACC did to the Big East by taking us. Oklahoma State, Colorado, Utah would be the other options.

Then in another 4-5 years you backfill any lost ACC teams with the leftovers from the B12. Options are the three mentioned before plus Cincinnati, West Virginia, UCF. Maybe USF as well if the ACC loses both FSU and Miami.

If the playoff format is changed from 6 Auto Bids to 5, that would not be remotely surprising, but if they try and change it to fewer auto bids, I hope the Group of 5 conferences sue the crap out of them. There is a valid excuse to drop 1 autobid with the PAC 12 blowing up, but more than that is greedy beyond the normal greed and would be such a slap in the face to the G5, who right now has a seat at the 12 team table

So Scooch, if you were in charge what would you do to add value to the conference?

Actually if the end game is 3 x 24, it won't matter what the ACC does now. In that case the ACC and B12 will eventually merge into one. So it won't mean much to have a leg up. It would most likely impact Wake, SMU, Baylor. Everyone else is likely in one way or the other.

However if the end game is a national all academic conference for the ACC, then moving now is more important. Then you can have Stanford, Duke, maybe Vanderbilt, Rice, maybe Notre Dame, Cal, maybe UVA, Wake, BC, maybe GA Tech, Tulane, maybe Villanova, maybe Miami, maybe SU, maybe Pitt, maybe VA Tech, maybe UConn, maybe NC State, SMU, maybe Clemson, USF. You can also consider Air Force, Army, Navy. A lot of those schools would prefer this over a 24 team merged ACC/B12.

Again I ask, what does adding those schools gain?
Well for starters it would start to establish a national identity for the ACC and show the schools not in the Big 2 conferences that the ACC is serious about being a national player. The ACC doesn't need to add marquee programs to do that but it does need to show it's willing to expand to those markets/time zones and values them. And by having schools in those areas, the ACC has 6-7 years of runway to figure out a long-term strategy that will entice the attractive Big 12 schools that the ACC wants to jump ship to the ACC.

This cycle was the death of the Pac 12. I sincerely believe the next cycle will be the death of the Big 12 or ACC. Although it could end up being a merger which makes a lot of this moot.

Not sure who's supposedly making threats here.

I see eventual 12 team playoffs as:
4 from B1G
4 from SEC
1 from B12
1 from ACC
Notre Dame (effectively but not automatic)
1 from best of the other conferences (2 if ND has a down year)

Best case after GOR is that a merged B12/ACC keeps 2 auto bids or at least 1. Otherwise, all non-Big 2 will be lumped together and compete for 2 or 3 spots (since ND isn't automatic, just most likely to get one).
Why does everybody keep catering to Notre Dame ? Tell them to either make a move or get off the pot.

If the playoff format is changed from 6 Auto Bids to 5, that would not be remotely surprising, but if they try and change it to fewer auto bids, I hope the Group of 5 conferences sue the crap out of them. There is a valid excuse to drop 1 autobid with the PAC 12 blowing up, but more than that is greedy beyond the normal greed and would be such a slap in the face to the G5, who right now has a seat at the 12 team table

The Pac12 still exists, just in a different form. The constitution of the league is not as important as the league existing, which it does. Pac12 would have the same argument as a Group of 5, and would definitely sue.

The Pac12 still exists, just in a different form. The constitution of the league is not as important as the league existing, which it does. Pac12 would have the same argument as a Group of 5, and would definitely sue.
They exist this year, yes, assuming they exist in 2024 with a bunch of MWC teams merged into it, will definitely make for some fine legal action indeed. What a shatshow this all is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom