ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 296 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

This is what cracks me up above all else. The media companies that pay the conferences for rights are taking in anywhere from $5 to $15 BILLION a year, but the schools are fighting a death match over $20-30 million. They're all so incredibly dumb.
Yep. If they all (let's say old P5) banded together they'd have more bargaining power. The media companies like that it's a fractured mess.

Hey Dickey...

If the ACC dissolved, and your precious Duke ended up playing ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane every year, would things matter then?

Hey DickyV...they aren't student-athletes anymore. They have NIL and are paid employees. Sports are their job; it's their major. Part of their job involves travel.

If an athlete doesn't want to travel, drop down a level, don't get NIL, and play sports in a small-time regional Division II conference. If you want to play big boy sports, you will get paid, and you have to travel.

Everyone wanted athletes to be paid, well they are. And now it's an arms race for schools to get as much money to pay the athletes (or set up and drive collectives for the athletes to be paid) to have the best teams. And part of that is getting more TV money and conference re-alignment.

Welcome to College sports minor league sports in 2023! Stop crying about the past; get on board with the new way of the world.

Wait a SEC. The other guy said UNC put the ACC on "notice ". Why isn't he really saying what is position is? UNC chicken schiiit.
Well he doesn’t say “he” voted against it. Effectively whether he personally wanted it or not he had to vote against it.

Mmmmhmmmm.

Quoting the great philosopher, Rasheed Wallace, "As long as somebody 'CTC,' at the end of the day I'm with them. For all you that don't know what CTC means, that's 'Cut The Check."

Y'all can go. Just cut the check for leaving early, set up the direct deposit for the tv money and we'll send our band there to send you off.

Y'all are one Saban retirement away from Dabo jumping and y'all convincing yourself that you have the next Dabo on staff.

I really enjoy your posts GBO. I really like Clemson fans. But y'all keep talking like you're Regina George in Mean Girls and you aren't even Gretchen Weiners.
This redeems this entire goatshow of a thread.

Hey DickyV...they aren't student-athletes anymore. They have NIL and are paid employees. Sports are their job; it's their major. Part of their job involves travel.

If an athlete doesn't want to travel, drop down a level, don't get NIL, and play sports in a small-time regional Division II conference. If you want to play big boy sports, you will get paid, and you have to travel.

Everyone wanted athletes to be paid, well they are. And now it's an arms race for schools to get as much money to pay the athletes (or set up and drive collectives for the athletes to be paid) to have the best teams. And part of that is getting more TV money and conference re-alignment.

Welcome to College sports minor league sports in 2023! Stop crying about the past; get on board with the new way of the world.
Everyone doesn't get NIL. Far from it. That's why you have Arik Gilbert breaking into a vape shop for $1600 of merch and players at Iowa and Iowa State gambling knowing they can go to prison.

With the additions of these 3 quality academic schools, is there any chance that the conference could find/create research funding through a member collaboration to generate academic revenue streams, kind of like the AAU? I ask because if academic funding could be created i would imagine the Presidents at FSU, UNC & Clemson would have to think hard and long about leaving if/when the time comes

Everyone is talking about the travel issue, but that should primarily be just a problem for Stanford/Cal. The other schools could theoretically just make 1 California road trip a year (at most) if they schedule them back-to-back as they should.
I think it is a larger cost issue for the non-revenue sports. Maybe they could bunch all the non-revenue sports (soccer, field hockey, track, lacrosse, tennis, volleyball, etc) scheduling together and make just two charter flights a year.

Last edited:
Stanford does have a lacrosse team. Could see where they could be THE west coast school of choice for above average academically Lax recruits.

Everyone doesn't get NIL. Far from it. That's why you have Arik Gilbert breaking into a vape shop for $1600 of merch and players at Iowa and Iowa State gambling knowing they can go to prison.
Your missing the forest from the trees. Bigger picture, the landscape has changed. And the college sports world has changed.

IF you don't get NIL, point is you CAN though. And because of that, more travel is involved.

Nobody is forcing any 18, 19, or 20 year old to play college sports. They know what they are signing up for and the travel involved. Don't sign up and complain about it after the fact.

May sound harsh, and cruel but literally its reality. Dick Vital wants it to be 1985 again and to romance what college sports "was". It's like, bro, look around those days are dead and buried and ain't coming back. Even using the term student-athlete is kind of outdated.

Well you sure complain with the best of them FRANKIE. What is your alternative solution to this? The ACC dying on the vine in 2036?
Whoa...you misread me. I'd happy with this move. I think I was just saying I wish we could have brought in more PAC schools before the PAC was raided.

Edit- Now I am thinking you mistook me from FRANKIE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom