ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 297 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Your missing the forest from the trees. Bigger picture, the landscape has changed. And the college sports world has changed.

IF you don't get NIL, point is you CAN though. And because of that, more travel is involved.

Nobody is forcing any 18, 19, or 20 year old to play college sports. They know what they are signing up for and the travel involved. Don't sign up and complain about it after the fact.

May sound harsh, and cruel but literally its reality. Dick Vital wants it to be 1985 again and to romance what college sports "was". It's like, bro, look around those days are dead and buried and ain't coming back. Even using the term student-athlete is kind of outdated.
Very elitist and boomer take. It's the only way some of them can afford to get a formal education thanks to the sins of a previous generation. While degrees are holding less and less weight, taking on little to no debt > paying full freight at a D2, D3 or NAIA school.

I'd like to see the ACC add six more teams just to keep the party going.

I know the reasons why it won't happen, but I'd love for it to be Cincy, WVU, UCF, Houston, Tulane, and Navy.

With the additions of these 3 quality academic schools, is there any chance that the conference could find/create research funding through a member collaboration to generate academic revenue streams, kind of like the AAU? I ask because if academic funding could be created i would imagine the Presidents at FSU, UNC & Clemson would have to think hard and long about leaving if/when the time comes
This is variable I think most are overlooking. Yes, college athletics don’t have much to do with academics anymore (if they ever did), but we shouldn’t completely dismiss this angle. This is one of the paths to making the ACC viable long term. Don’t underestimate the power of the academic side within these institutions. Every so often they flex their muscles too and the results could be surprising. The ACC needs to up their game in the cross-pollenization of academic resources for member institutions.

This is shameful RIP ACC.

Feel terrible for the non revenue athletes of ours being treated like puppets now they have to go to California for games. I’m furious and think the university is pathetic for bowing down to Cal Berkeley and Stanford. Invite Colgate too while we’re at it.
cry me a river, they were already going to have to travel a bunhc , these 3 won't mean that much more

Many athletic departments across the country are already in the red. What's a little more debt?
NC State has nowhere to go unlike UNC.

This is a dead conference walking. It's a matter of when. These schools may feel confident enough to give up the GOR and pay the buyout.
Wrong on so many levels. These schools can't come anywhere near being able to afford paying off the GOR for years to come. If they could have, they would have. They can't. As far as the conference being dead man walking, what would you have said about the Big 12 just two short years ago? There is a lot to happen between the time these schools can go and where everyone will be at that time. And no one, not me. Not you. No one, knows what the landscape will look like when that time comes.

Haven’t caught up yet. But just spitballing numbers. This does not include ACC network price for California or Texas increasing. Which could be substantial.

Syracuse received roughly 40 million last year. With projections only expected to increase over the next several years.

Based on this last years numbers and early reports, Stanford and cal will get 30% for 7 years. That is 12 million for them, 28 million for ACC per team.

SMU is going 9 years with no payment!!! That’s 40 million to the ACC.

Obviously some will be taken off the top for traveling costs. But that is roughly 96 million dollars the ACC has to split up among the other members not including any ACC network money that the ACC owns 50/50.

I’m still not totally on board with this plan/teams. But I’m not sure what FSU, Clemson, UNC can complain about. They just significantly upgraded the dollar value of the media contracts.

They are annoyed because they are out numbered and the traveling. But they kept saying how they needed more money. Well now they have access to it.

The ACC just fixed its scheduling and now we are going to a market where the MLB and NFL are fleeing from. 2 teams there 1 horrible market worse than Boston and BC in terms of CFB/CBB popularity.

It was 10 years ago we played a 'road' NCAA tournament game against Cal in San Jose and they had literally no home court advantage and fan support.

Everyone will mock the ACC too because of its name 'Atlantic' conference playing games on the Pacific makes every member institution look pathetic.
The Giants are looking to flee the Bay area? The 49 ers? Golden Sate Warriors? I have no strong feelings either way about this move. But for either side to think this is a disaster or it is a life saver, seems silly to me.

Very elitist and boomer take. It's the only way some of them can afford to get a formal education thanks to the sins of a previous generation. While degrees are holding less and less weight, taking on little to no debt > paying full freight at a D2, D3 or NAIA school.

This. Of course, it’s always about the revenue producing sports, just as it’s always been. The Olympic sports are just brought along.

The NCAA is a cartel and it’s a sham. And god willing, we’ll see a better system in its place soon.

Haven’t caught up yet. But just spitballing numbers. This does not include ACC network price for California or Texas increasing. Which could be substantial.

Syracuse received roughly 40 million last year. With projections only expected to increase over the next several years.

Based on this last years numbers and early reports, Stanford and cal will get 30% for 7 years. That is 12 million for them, 28 million for ACC per team.

Obviously some will be taken off the top for traveling costs. But that is roughly 96 million dollars the ACC has to split up among the other members not including any ACC network money that the ACC owns 50/50.

I’m still not totally on board with this plan/teams. But I’m not sure what FSU, Clemson, UNC can complain about. They just significantly upgraded the dollar value of the media contracts.

They are annoyed because they are out numbered and the traveling. But they kept saying how they needed more money. Well now they have access to it.
KC may have made the most important point. The GOR is based on revenue. And the revenue just got bigger. Even if the profit didn't.

Honestly I would not reward UNC, FSU or Clemson a single cent extra. They tried to sabotage the larger group. That should cost them.

More, yes. But not enough. It's never enough.

This. Of course, it’s always about the revenue producing sports, just as it’s always been. The Olympic sports are just brought along.

The NCAA is a cartel and it’s a sham. And god willing, we’ll see a better system in its place soon.
I don't know if I would be optimistic about that last part. What comes next might be worse. I fear it will be.

Obviously the bag man showed up at the NC State President's house.

I hope the ACC is able to add 3 of the below in 5 years to get to 20 before the 3 babies leave. Then when teams leave you can backfill with the best availables.

Arizona State, Colorado, Kansas, Utah, or one of Houston, Baylor, TCU

I heard the president found a dead wolf in his bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom