ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 313 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Saw this on another board I visit as a proposed scheduling system for the new ACC. It's a 4-4-4-4 system, 4 permanent opponents and 3 slates of 4 opponents that rotate after home-and-home. Each team would get to play every other in a 6-year cycle. This keeps the conference schedule at 8 games, so the teams with SEC rivals don't lose an OOC game. IT IS NOT PODS, One poster proposed a swap so that NC State gets Clemson and Wake gets FSU to keep the Textile Bowl going. Going to this system also would allow the ACC to keep from having to choose whether UVa or NCSU is UNC's second permanent opponent in 2-7-7 and the resumption of the Duke-Ga Tech. match-up which had been continuous since 1937 until this year.

UVA: VPI, Ga Tech, Cal, UNC
UNC: Carolina 3, UVA
NC St: Carolina 3, FSU
Wake: Carolina 3, Clemson
Duke: Carolina 3, Ga Tech
Ga Tech: Clemson, Duke, UVA, Stan
Clemson: Ga Tech, Miami, FSU, Wake
FSU: Clemson, Miami, NC St, SMU
VPI: UVA, Pitt, Lou, Miami
Miami: FSU, VPI, Clemson, Syracuse
Syracuse: Pitt, BC, Miami, Stan
Pitt: BC, VPI, Cuse, Lou
BC: Lou, Cuse, Pitt, Cal
Lou: Pitt, VPI, SMU, BC
Stanford: Cal, Ga Tech, SMU, Cuse
Cal: Stan, UVA, SMU, BC
SMU: Cal, Stan, FSU, Lou

Last edited:
Saw this on another board I visit as a proposed scheduling system for the new ACC. It's a 4-4-4-4 system, 4 permanent opponents and 3 slates of 4 opponents that rotate after home-and-home. Each team would get to play every other in a 6-year cycle. This keeps the conference schedule at 8 games, so the teams with SEC rivals don't lose an OOC game. IT IS NOT PODS, One poster proposed a swap so that NC State gets Clemson and Wake gets FSU to keep the Textile Bowl going. Going to this system also would allow the ACC to keep from having to choose whether UVa or NCSU is UNC's second permanent opponent in 2-7-7 and the resumption of the Duke-Ga Tech. match-up which had been continuous since 1937 until this year.

Clemson: Tech, Miami, FSU, Wake

We have a winner

If the Carolina 3 get to keep each other, their 4th games should have more travel.

Duke vs Stanford seems like a natural rivalry to try to create. Then send 1 more out west and the other two to the north.

That gets us back where we should be playing Miami, Pitt, and BC every year and Stanford is a good 4th.

As long as UNC is totally protected. Those in-state roadies and trips up to Charlottesville are going to be a terrible strain for them. Might be best if we allow them to play 7 home conference games annually. They can certainly rotate home-and-home with Duke. Maybe sign a deal with Uber and save some money on the bus.

This 7-1 arrangement is totally "legal" per the initial ACC Charter, penned in 1953, in historic and picturesque Greensboro. Just ask the official ACC curators, who can be reached at their offices in the Dean Smith Center if you have any further questions.

2x7/7 cannot happen. It is math.

If you scroll back a few pages 4x4/4/4 has better options in this thread.

Edit

I will also add that the current 3 perms aren’t likely to change. Maybe a few but not many. First they were chosen for a reason. Second people are lazy, easier to just add one more for everyone.

Edit II

Last edited:

Was this proposed by a Syracuse alum or a VPI alum? IT'S FANTASTIC!

I think VPI loves this plan too.

I see two oddball matches in here:
Clemson-Wake
BC-Louisville

I'd switch it to be:
Clemson-Louisville
BC-Wake

Just so I understand: all teams play outside their "4" once every 3 years. 6 years is for home and away cycle. Right?

EDIT to also change NC State:

NC State-FSU
Clemson-Wake
BC-Louisville
>>change to:
NC State-Clemson
BC-Wake
Louisville-FSU

Last edited:
Was this proposed by a Syracuse alum or a VPI alum? IT'S FANTASTIC!

I think VPI loves this plan too.

I see two oddball matches in here:
Clemson-Wake
BC-Louisville

I'd switch it to be:
Clemson-Louisville
BC-Wake

Just so I understand: all teams play outside their "4" once every 3 years. 6 years is for home and away cycle. Right?

EDIT to also change NC State:

NC State-FSU
Clemson-Wake
BC-Louisville
>>change to:
NC State-Clemson
BC-Wake
Louisville-FSU
It's from the Ga Tech board so probably one of their fans, hence they play Stanford each year instead of having Duke play them.

Correct, You play those 4 every year and a slate of 4 home-and-home, then switch to a second slate for H&H, and then the third. You'd have played the entire conference H&H at least once over the 6-year cycle.

If the Carolina 3 get to keep each other, their 4th games should have more travel.

Duke vs Stanford seems like a natural rivalry to try to create. Then send 1 more out west and the other two to the north.
I know Stanford played at Duke about 10-11 years ago as I was in Chapel Hill that weekend.

AD John Wildhack had said that SU would not be playing a west coast team every year in football but maybe 2 or 3 times every 5 years.

Sorry, there is NO reason why FSU-Syracuse should be paired now or forever.

Why was FSU and SU paired with 3 + 5/5? Why would that change with 4 + 4/4/4? I agree we shouldn't be paired but FSU wants a Northeast team as a perm. So either BC or SU gets stuck there.

These are the current 3 perms. I doubt much will change for this. We are more likely to see one team added to each.

BC- Miami, Pitt, SU
Clemson- FSU, GA Tech, NC State (add Wake?)
Duke- UNC, NC State, Wake (add GA Tech?)
FSU- Clemson, Miami, SU (keep SU or add BC?)
GA Tech- Clemson, Louisville, Wake (add Duke?)
Louisville- GA Tech, Miami, UVA
Miami- BC, FSU, Louisville (add Pitt?)
UNC- Duke, NC State, UVA (add Wake?)
NC State- Clemson, Duke, UNC (add Wake?)
Pitt- BC, SU, VA Tech (add Miami?)
SU- BC, FSU, Pitt (just don't add Louisville)
UVA- Louisville, UNC, VA Tech
VA Tech- Pitt, UVA, Wake (add Miami?)
Wake- Duke, GA Tech, VA Tech (add Clemson, UNC, NC State?)

That is your starting template. There won't be a lot changed from those. The bold are the games that I think definitely stay. Then you will need to add some of the teams to Cal, Stanford, SMU.

Wow. This is a big deal. Bristol is not an easy place to get to, so that means whatever talent that's left will have to move to Connecticut or commute everyday from the NYC metro.

If I were going to pick for SU I would want BC, Pitt, UVA, Miami. I think athletically we have a lot in common with UVA. Plus it is a drivable trip. If we can't get Miami I would go for GA Tech. VA Tech would be my alternate to the UVA.

Teams I do NOT want to see yearly: Cal, Stanford, SMU, FSU, Clemson, NC State, Wake, Louisville. We don't need long trips every other year, and we don't need too hard a schedule. I wouldn't mind UNC or Duke but both will want other teams besides SU.

BC Pitt Miami and Stanford is perfect. Cal as a backup. I dont want anything to do with SMU

You really want 4 trips to San Fran every 6 year vs only 2 trips?

If I were going to pick for SU I would want BC, Pitt, UVA, Miami. I think athletically we have a lot in common with UVA. Plus it is a drivable trip. If we can't get Miami I would go for GA Tech. VA Tech would be my alternate to the UVA.

Teams I do NOT want to see yearly: Cal, Stanford, SMU, FSU, Clemson, NC State, Wake, Louisville. We don't need long trips every other year, and we don't need too hard a schedule. I wouldn't mind UNC or Duke but both will want other teams besides SU.
There is more developed high school football talent in the DFW metroplex than anyplace else on earth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom