ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 314 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Saw this on another board I visit as a proposed scheduling system for the new ACC. It's a 4-4-4-4 system, 4 permanent opponents and 3 slates of 4 opponents that rotate after home-and-home. Each team would get to play every other in a 6-year cycle. This keeps the conference schedule at 8 games, so the teams with SEC rivals don't lose an OOC game. IT IS NOT PODS, One poster proposed a swap so that NC State gets Clemson and Wake gets FSU to keep the Textile Bowl going. Going to this system also would allow the ACC to keep from having to choose whether UVa or NCSU is UNC's second permanent opponent in 2-7-7 and the resumption of the Duke-Ga Tech. match-up which had been continuous since 1937 until this year.

UVA: VPI, Ga Tech, Cal, UNC
UNC: Carolina 3, UVA
NC St: Carolina 3, FSU
Wake: Carolina 3, Clemson
Duke: Carolina 3, Ga Tech
Ga Tech: Clemson, Duke, UVA, Stan
Clemson: Ga Tech, Miami, FSU, Wake
FSU: Clemson, Miami, NC St, SMU
VPI: UVA, Pitt, Lou, Miami
Miami: FSU, VPI, Clemson, Syracuse
Syracuse: Pitt, BC, Miami, Stan
Pitt: BC, VPI, Cuse, Lou
BC: Lou, Cuse, Pitt, Cal
Lou: Pitt, VPI, SMU, BC
Stanford: Cal, Ga Tech, SMU, Cuse
Cal: Stan, UVA, SMU, BC
SMU: Cal, Stan, FSU, Lou
Let me toss out some thoughts: I really like UVA with Cal, and I think along those lines that Stanford should play UNC or Dook annually. Incorporate that pair right into the heart of the original ACC with an annual rival that is also an Elite school.

Does FSU recruit enough in TX for it to be happy with small private school SMU as an annual rival? FSU boosters and fans will whine about anything, so I would make FSU all but demand to play any of the 3 from out west annually. Plus, the largest number of FSU alums outside FL are in GA, especially round Atlanta. And FSU always has recruited GA heavily. So I think FSU-GT as annual makes very good sense for both FSU and the ACC.

Clemson always has recruited NC very heavily. So I think Clemson would prefer to play either NCSU or UNC annually than to play Miami annually.

I think Miami-SMU makes a great match for TV. Keeping with being in an NFL town, I also like the idea of SMU-Pitt (and they have a classic Cotton Bowl as the basis from which to talk up a new annual game).

There is more developed high school football talent in the DFW metroplex than anyplace else on earth.
That is probably true. I know a couple others can make a good claim, but I would go with DFW.

That is probably true. I know a couple others can make a good claim, but I would go with DFW.
Yes, and if Syracuse played there every other year and made contacts and friends there with the high school football people, they could get some great recruits. Syracuse and BC, though I don't see BC wanting to play SMU every year, need that more than any of the other teams in the ACC because of the lack of high school talent in their regions.

Saw this on another board I visit as a proposed scheduling system for the new ACC. It's a 4-4-4-4 system, 4 permanent opponents and 3 slates of 4 opponents that rotate after home-and-home. Each team would get to play every other in a 6-year cycle. This keeps the conference schedule at 8 games, so the teams with SEC rivals don't lose an OOC game. IT IS NOT PODS, One poster proposed a swap so that NC State gets Clemson and Wake gets FSU to keep the Textile Bowl going. Going to this system also would allow the ACC to keep from having to choose whether UVa or NCSU is UNC's second permanent opponent in 2-7-7 and the resumption of the Duke-Ga Tech. match-up which had been continuous since 1937 until this year.

UVA: VPI, Ga Tech, Cal, UNC
UNC: Carolina 3, UVA
NC St: Carolina 3, FSU
Wake: Carolina 3, Clemson
Duke: Carolina 3, Ga Tech
Ga Tech: Clemson, Duke, UVA, Stan
Clemson: Ga Tech, Miami, FSU, Wake
FSU: Clemson, Miami, NC St, SMU
VPI: UVA, Pitt, Lou, Miami
Miami: FSU, VPI, Clemson, Syracuse
Syracuse: Pitt, BC, Miami, Stan
Pitt: BC, VPI, Cuse, Lou
BC: Lou, Cuse, Pitt, Cal
Lou: Pitt, VPI, SMU, BC
Stanford: Cal, Ga Tech, SMU, Cuse
Cal: Stan, UVA, SMU, BC
SMU: Cal, Stan, FSU, Lou
From a practical standpoint, pairing Syracuse and Stanford does not make sense. There are no direct flights. Half the ACC schools have direct flights to San Fran, including Raleigh, so I think Stanford's rivals should all be schools with direct flights.

I think we should be paired with SMU instead (Syracuse does have a direct flight to Dallas). It would save a lot of money and be a lot easier on the athletes.

And that talent isn't going to SU just because we play SMU in DFW 3 times in 6 years vs only 1x.
You invite recruits and their parents to the game when you play there, personal contact with the coaches and team.

From a practical standpoint, pairing Syracuse and Stanford does not make sense. There are no direct flights. Half the ACC schools have direct flights to San Fran, including Raleigh, so I think Stanford's rivals should all be schools with direct flights.

I think we should be paired with SMU instead (Syracuse does have a direct flight to Dallas). It would save a lot of money and be a lot easier on the athletes.

BC, Pitt, UVA are the three closest schools to us (only 3 within 375 miles). It would be nice to have them and one distance game. I think Miami given our history and current recruiting ties (which take years to develop), makes the most sense. Then GA Tech. Cal and Stanford given the distance and time zone change make the least sense. SMU is stuck in the middle. I want nothing to do with playing FSU which is in Alabama. Or Clemson who is too good.

1. Miami
2. GA Tech
3. SMU
4. Clemson
5. FSU
6. Stanford
7. Cal

You invite recruits and their parents to the game when you play there, personal contact with the coaches and team.

1. It takes years to develop recruiting ties.

2. What you are saying is like Kansas wanting to play UCF every year for Florida recruits. Those kids will want to go to the SEC first, and then the ACC.

BC, Pitt, UVA are the three closest schools to us (only 3 within 375 miles). It would be nice to have them and one distance game. I think Miami given our history and current recruiting ties (which take years to develop), makes the most sense. Then GA Tech. Cal and Stanford given the distance and time zone change make the least sense. SMU is stuck in the middle. I want nothing to do with playing FSU which is in Alabama. Or Clemson who is too good.

1. Miami
2. GA Tech
3. SMU
4. Clemson
5. FSU
6. Stanford
7. Cal
From a Syracuse perspective, I agree. BC, Pitt, UVa and Miami would be ideal.

Pitt and BC are givens.

We have a lot of alums/fans in the DC metro area and we recruit that area hard. UVa would be great for us. It is even a somewhat reasonable drive.

Miami is great for recruiting purposes and again, we have a strong presence with fans and alums close by. Also great for us.

In a situation like this, we are going to get Pitt and BC. Maybe we get one of UVa or Miami. No way we get everything we want. I am sure a lot of schools want Miami and UVa as rivals.

We surely are going to get someone we don't want. That has historically been UL. I suspect it will be SMU now. I would be really surprised if any ACC school without direct flights to San Francisco is made a rival of Stanford or Cal.

If we have to play a school we don't have a strong alum presence or strong recruiting ties to, that is not geographically nearby, SMU makes sense. Now I know SU is targeting students in California and wants to expand its presence there. So maybe the chancellor's office will intervene here and lobby for Stanford for student recruiting purposes. I know we have a lot of monied and influential alums in California too that will probably lobby hard for a California rival for Syracuse.

From a Syracuse perspective, I agree. BC, Pitt, UVa and Miami would be ideal.

Pitt and BC are givens.

We have a lot of alums/fans in the DC metro area and we recruit that area hard. UVa would be great for us. It is even a somewhat reasonable drive.

Miami is great for recruiting purposes and again, we have a strong presence with fans and alums close by. Also great for us.

In a situation like this, we are going to get Pitt and BC. Maybe we get one of UVa or Miami. No way we get everything we want. I am sure a lot of schools want Miami and UVa as rivals.

We surely are going to get someone we don't want. That has historically been UL. I suspect it will be SMU now. I would be really surprised if any ACC school without direct flights to San Francisco is made a rival of Stanford or Cal.

If we have to play a school we don't have a strong alum presence or strong recruiting ties to, that is not geographically nearby, SMU makes sense. Now I know SU is targeting students in California and wants to expand its presence there. So maybe the chancellor's office will intervene here and lobby for Stanford for student recruiting purposes. I know we have a lot of monied and influential alums in California too that will probably lobby hard for a California rival for Syracuse.
Newhouse pulls in a ton of Cali kids. I can see merits.

The athletes will be flying chartered flights most likely so I doubt it matters that much, even for the non rev teams. It matters more for the fans.

1. It takes years to develop recruiting ties.

2. What you are saying is like Kansas wanting to play UCF every year for Florida recruits. Those kids will want to go to the SEC first, and then the ACC.
You have to start somewhere. If the choice SMU or Stanford, I think SMU is better for Syracuse,
Yes absolutely. I think we can recruit the west coast better than texas
How many people do you think will show up for a Syracuse game in Palo Alto?

The athletes will be flying chartered flights most likely so I doubt it matters that much, even for the non rev teams. It matters more for the fans.
For football, I agree. Does SU charter planes for any other sports? Maybe men's basketball for a handful of games?

Still not sure what the plan is for Olympic sports. If there are 4 rival schools for football, I assume that will also be the case for men's and women's basketball.

What about men's and women's soccer? Women's lacrosse? Softball? Volleyball? Tennis?

For football, I agree. Does SU charter planes for any other sports? Maybe men's basketball for a handful of games?

Still not sure what the plan is for Olympic sports. If there are 4 rival schools for football, I assume that will also be the case for men's and women's basketball.

What about men's and women's soccer? Women's lacrosse? Softball? Volleyball? Tennis?

Hoops and lax are all charter.

Interesting article. Looks like Texas and Oklahoma are getting out for free? So much for the B12 GOR and B12 exit fee.

If true, they are forgoing B12 revenue for next year, which makes no sense. They won't be in the conference! Why would they get paid? The B12 got completely hosed.

Also the 4 team addition this year means payouts are divided by 14 vs 10, which is less money for all the schools. So if they paid out $40M last year, this year teams will only get $33M instead (the 4 new teams are only getting $18M and not a full share).

And why would the B12 count that reduced $7M as part of the exit agreement when it is applied to every team?

Also interesting Texas/Oklahoma will miss out on most of the SEC money in year 1. In the ACC, SMU will give up money for several years and Stanford/Cal are taking reduced shares for several years. Same as Oregon/Washington to the B18. But in the B12? They had to give a $2.5M bonus to Colorado to get them to leave the PAC! That should tell you about where the B12 stands.

Yormark isn't looking to be the genius some have made him out to be.

This is interesting if the report is true. The ACC is still 3rd due to it's TV network which the B12 does not have. I think the Pac2 will backfill with MWC teams in a reverse merger for the same reason. They do have a TV network which they own outright and with more teams they could float a "request for proposal" to Fox Sports, CBS Sports, NBC, and ESPN/ABC and go with highest bidder. Whether there will remain a P5 is uncertain. A chart I saw recently however did show a downward trend line for cable and even broadcast TV viewership and upward for streaming so that gravy train will end some time in the future.

Yes, and if Syracuse played there every other year and made contacts and friends there with the high school football people, they could get some great recruits. Syracuse and BC, though I don't see BC wanting to play SMU every year, need that more than any of the other teams in the ACC because of the lack of high school talent in their regions.
Just to focus on the Catholic school thing, I think BC could gain more in recruti9ng from playing Pitt annually than SMU. Lots of Catholic school programs that produce talent within PA and border state OH.

Of course the teams charter, so the direct flights would only be something that would be good for fans who travel,

From a legacy perspective I would like to see our permanent rivals in a 4-4-4-4 (in my best Moses Malone voice) series be BC, Pitt, Va. Tech and Miami (or Louisville). But would be happy swapping out the fourth with SMU.

Of course the teams charter, so the direct flights would only be something that would be good for fans who travel,

From a legacy perspective I would like to see our permanent rivals in a 4-4-4-4 (in my best Moses Malone voice) series be BC, Pitt, Va. Tech and Miami (or Louisville). But would be happy swapping out the fourth with SMU.
For me as someone else said I believe: BC and Pitt are obvious then add UVA as they are close, a solid team with great academics, good recruiting area, alumni in the area, and it would be great for the school to associate with UVA more. Then #4 is either Miami, GT, Stanford, or Cal. I want no part of Louisville at all as they do nothing for SU. Give FSU to someone else too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom