ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 332 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If we got those 3, then I can see one of the following; TCU, Colorado, or Houston. TCU would match up well with SMU but Colorado would give the ACCN another state and more $$$.
TCU and SMU are huge rivals going way, way back to Southwest Conference days. The play the Iron Skillet Game (just about) every year.

Colorado would be a no-brainer
Why? Is CO known as a state that is in love with college sports or with NFL, MLB, and NBA? Does CO produce large numbers of top recruits? Does UofCO have lengthy ties with Cal or Stanford, or even with Utah, Arizona and Arizona St? Did Colorado Buffs football sit among the top of Pac TV viewers or toward the bottom?

UofCO spent the last year of its days in aPac that was not dead man walking convincing Utah, Arizona,d Arizona Set to leave the the Big 12, its previous home. Before that it had been in the Big 8 since about 1948. So why would Colorado even entertain the ACC unless the Big 12 already were as dead as the Pac had been when Cal and Stanford joined the ACC?

TCU and SMU are huge rivals going way, way back to Southwest Conference days. The play the Iron Skillet Game (just about) every year.
And having both of the only two Major conference schools that are located in the entire DFW TV market could prove HUGE for both ACC recruiting and TV viewers.

If we got those 3, then I can see one of the following; TCU, Colorado, or Houston. TCU would match up well with SMU but Colorado would give the ACCN another state and more $$$.
Look at the company earnings reports this Q. Paramount and Warner Brothers Discovery wrote down their linear TV networks by billions of dollars. Disney's linear network earnings were down almost 25% y/y. ESPN's domestic earnings from were down 9% y/y. The ACCN revenues have peaked with the addition of Texas and California as homes of ACC schools and then revenues are going to decay with cord cutting like all linear channels. In the long run, the ACCN will have to rely on brands as sports moves to streaming, yet the ACC grabbed SMU? Short term thinking again by the ACC.

Look at the company earnings reports this Q. Paramount and Warner Brothers Discovery wrote down their linear TV networks by billions of dollars. Disney's linear network earnings were down almost 25% y/y. ESPN's domestic earnings from were down 9% y/y. The ACCN revenues have peaked with the addition of Texas and California as homes of ACC schools and then revenues are going to decay with cord cutting like all linear channels. In the long run, the ACCN will have to rely on brands as sports moves to streaming, yet the ACC grabbed SMU? Short term thinking again by the ACC.
But much better that adding BC. Why? First, players matter greatly, and while New England produces almost none of merit, DFW is filled with them. Second, unlike any ACC school, SMU has billionaire and multi-milioanore alums who will donate the Big Bucks to their schools for sports, especially football. And that matters a great deal. Third, it is a fact that DFW is a TV market overflowing with CFB fans, which means that any school located in the DFW Metroplex that is in a major conference has the potential to become a large TV draw.

#s 1 and 2 above are why adding TCU to SMU in the ACC would be a very good move.

And while we are on that subject of DFW, Baylor is located in nearby Waco, which is just barely out of the DFW TV market, and the TV market largest number of TTU alums is DFW. So adding both those as well would squarely place the ACC as being as much the Home league for DFW as is the SEC with UT and Aggie and OU.

The smartest move by both Fox and ESPN would be to combine the Big 12 and ACC. Then add a USF, Oregon St, Washington St, Memphis, and San Diego St.
Then break it down into regional divisions, you have the entire country covered, and can add any extra schools if they fit.
And that would pretty much eliminate any state or federal lawsuits or anti-trust rules.

Why? Is CO known as a state that is in love with college sports or with NFL, MLB, and NBA? Does CO produce large numbers of top recruits? Does UofCO have lengthy ties with Cal or Stanford, or even with Utah, Arizona and Arizona St? Did Colorado Buffs football sit among the top of Pac TV viewers or toward the bottom?

UofCO spent the last year of its days in aPac that was not dead man walking convincing Utah, Arizona,d Arizona Set to leave the the Big 12, its previous home. Before that it had been in the Big 8 since about 1948. So why would Colorado even entertain the ACC unless the Big 12 already were as dead as the Pac had been when Cal and Stanford joined the ACC?
denver is a large market

In the long run, the ACCN will have to rely on brands as sports moves to streaming, yet the ACC grabbed SMU? Short term thinking again by the ACC.

You're not wrong, but it was a needed sacrifice to get the Calford deal done. There really wasn't a better alternative and the ACC is better off now than if those teams weren't on board.

denver is a large market

So iS NYC. The question is, does that market care about CFB beyond the bandwagon aspect. In 2-3 years nobody in Denver is going to care about Colorado state.

So iS NYC. The question is, does that market care about CFB beyond the bandwagon aspect. In 2-3 years nobody in Denver is going to care about Colorado state.
i dont agre

denver is a large market
So is Boston. That will never deliver viewers.

Ive lived in that Denver TV market. Back when Colorado football was still getting ranked. Other than the 50K who would usually pack into Folsom, almost nobody else cared much about Buffs football, which was MUCH bigger than Buffs basketball.

I'd take 9 Big 12 schools before taking Colorado: Utah, Arizona, Arizona St, TCU, TTU, Baylor, Houston, WVU, Cincinnati.

Added PTZ inventory has value, but I'm not sure it would be enough to justify these two.
There is no potential value to the ACC in any way to having Oregon ST and/or Washington St. Not even for just Cal and Stanford. They do not even partly focus recruiting on those areas. They are not major rivals for them. They add no numbers to the ACC, no top recruiting areas. I hate not for them but now they belong in the MWC. I think the only way the Big 12 would want them is if the ACC can take at least 3 schools from the Big 12.

There is no potential value to the ACC in any way to having Oregon ST and/or Washington St. Not even for just Cal and Stanford. They do not even partly focus recruiting on those areas. They are not major rivals for them. They add no numbers to the ACC, no top recruiting areas. I hate not for them but now they belong in the MWC. I think the only way the Big 12 would want them is if the ACC can take at least 3 schools from the Big 12.
I don't disagree. The point was that there is only one way in which they could possibly add net value. I don't ever see it happening. Best of luck to them, of course.

ACC could of added teams that were mentioned and didn’t I don’t see how that changes all of a sudden

Which teams are you referring too?
I assume he was talking about Arizona, Arizona State, TCU, Utah, Baylor, Houston, Cincy, West Virginia

If they could add BYU go for it

I assume he was talking about Arizona, Arizona State, TCU, Utah, Baylor, Houston, Cincy, West Virginia

If they could add BYU go for it
Unfortunately the ACC was too dysfunctional last year.

ACC could of added teams that were mentioned and didn’t I don’t see how that changes all of a sudden
The ACC has been held back by ESPN. On this board, I and others talked about the ACC adding up to 7 Pac schools,,,, ands indeed the ACC was trying to do that as well as trying to make an OOC scheduling deal with her Pac. ESPN refused to allow the ACC to add more than 4 schools. And while the ACC tri0ed to figure how to woo Washington nd Oregon with Cal and Stanford, thus no Utah, or AZ schools, the BT swept in and took Washington and Oregon, which were certain that ESPN simply would never fund the ACC to make such moves because that would upset the SEC.

This is all very fluid. Things change. I’m sure no one thought they’d see Colorado back in the Big 12 again.
Buffs could not win in the Pac and they drew no good TV numbers in the Pac. Utah proved a great addition for the Pac and Colorado proved a dud.

But much better that adding BC. Why? First, players matter greatly, and while New England produces almost none of merit, DFW is filled with them. Second, unlike any ACC school, SMU has billionaire and multi-milioanore alums who will donate the Big Bucks to their schools for sports, especially football. And that matters a great deal. Third, it is a fact that DFW is a TV market overflowing with CFB fans, which means that any school located in the DFW Metroplex that is in a major conference has the potential to become a large TV draw.

#s 1 and 2 above are why adding TCU to SMU in the ACC would be a very good move.

And while we are on that subject of DFW, Baylor is located in nearby Waco, which is just barely out of the DFW TV market, and the TV market largest number of TTU alums is DFW. So adding both those as well would squarely place the ACC as being as much the Home league for DFW as is the SEC with UT and Aggie and OU.

Why would the ACC want multiple teams in one area of Texas? Especially, when those three teams are all private universities with small enrollments? If the ACC is going further into Texas, from a recruiting perspective, I would think that being in a separate area like Houston would make more sense. From a streaming perspective, a larger public school like University of Houston would likely also garner more eyeballs as well. The only benefit of TCU would be as a travel partner.

This is a pretty decent FB division:

West (8) - SW + PAC
Arizona
Arizona St.
Baylor
SMU
TCU
Cal
Stanford
Utah

Others - Colorado, Houston, San Diego St., UNLV, Oregon St., Washington St.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom