ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 333 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Buffs could not win in the Pac and they drew no good TV numbers in the Pac. Utah proved a great addition for the Pac and Colorado proved a dud.
Colorado was on 6 straight losing seasons in the Big 12 when they joined the Pac 12 - so I'm sure they weren't drawing good TV numbers for the Big 12 either. What was expected was that being in a stronger conference would drive more revenue for them, and with more investment into the program they could improve and then drive better TV numbers. Obviously that didn't happen. But when they joined the Pac 12 it seemed like a lifeline to them to regain their 90's form, and I'd be willing to bet that most folks never expected to see them in the Big 12 again.

Why would the ACC want multiple teams in one area of Texas? Especially, when those three teams are all private universities with small enrollments? If the ACC is going further into Texas, from a recruiting perspective, I would think that being in a separate area like Houston would make more sense. From a streaming perspective, a larger public school like University of Houston would likely also garner more eyeballs as well. The only benefit of TCU would be as a travel partner.
Houston is the number 1 school that would be an accretive addition in Texas for the acc

Never happen with Cougar High.
The decision makers are the school presidents and chancellors. Agree, they will not want to be associated with Houston.

If UVa and UNC leave, maybe.

The decision makers are the school presidents and chancellors. Agree, they will not want to be associated with Houston.

If UVa and UNC leave, maybe.
It’s unfortunate because now is the time to be forward thinking. Sitting on hands and hoping established brands would join got the ACC to where it is now.

The ACC could be head and shoulders ahead of the Big 12 now but the Big 12 was willing to be more creative, even though it was out of desperation, and now they’re established as a firm competitor to the ACC for #3, especially if FSU and Clemson leave.

The ACC has been held back by ESPN. On this board, I and others talked about the ACC adding up to 7 Pac schools,,,, ands indeed the ACC was trying to do that as well as trying to make an OOC scheduling deal with her Pac. ESPN refused to allow the ACC to add more than 4 schools. And while the ACC tri0ed to figure how to woo Washington nd Oregon with Cal and Stanford, thus no Utah, or AZ schools, the BT swept in and took Washington and Oregon, which were certain that ESPN simply would never fund the ACC to make such moves because that would upset the SEC.
None of this is true.

It’s unfortunate because now is the time to be forward thinking. Sitting on hands and hoping established brands would join got the ACC to where it is now.

The ACC could be head and shoulders ahead of the Big 12 now but the Big 12 was willing to be more creative, even though it was out of desperation, and now they’re established as a firm competitor to the ACC for #3, especially if FSU and Clemson leave.

I am fine with the ACC not wanting to compromise academically. It is something that can keep the left behinds together long term. I know having a conference of like minded schools is a novel idea nowadays.

I feel like Houston is the Rutgers of Texas. Shiny potential but something that won't ever be realized. IMO Baylor would be the best ACC fit if you only take one. TCU if you want another.

If the ACC is to stay together I think it would be best to have 5 teams each in the West, Plains, South, Atlantic, and Northeast. You can at least somewhat keep traditional opponents in play.

Colorado was on 6 straight losing seasons in the Big 12 when they joined the Pac 12 - so I'm sure they weren't drawing good TV numbers for the Big 12 either. What was expected was that being in a stronger conference would drive more revenue for them, and with more investment into the program they could improve and then drive better TV numbers. Obviously that didn't happen. But when they joined the Pac 12 it seemed like a lifeline to them to regain their 90's form, and I'd be willing to bet that most folks never expected to see them in the Big 12 again.
Of course not, because nobody expected the Pac to get murdered.

And you re making my point about the lack off real value, value that lasts, off Colorado. Back in the days when Arizonans AZSt wear still in the WACm Cool,.orado was the only school located in MST in a Major conference. So for many people living there it was a default team to watch on TV. But Colorado lost whatever that was worth as soon as the Wildcats and Sun Devils were in the Pac. Colorado joining the Pac only highlighted the fact that even Utah, upon joining. aMajor conference, surpassed Colorado in ability to draw fans.

I am fine with the ACC not wanting to compromise academically. It is something that can keep the left behinds together long term. I know having a conference of like minded schools is a novel idea nowadays.

I feel like Houston is the Rutgers of Texas. Shiny potential but something that won't ever be realized. IMO Baylor would be the best ACC fit if you only take one. TCU if you want another.

If the ACC is to stay together I think it would be best to have 5 teams each in the West, Plains, South, Atlantic, and Northeast. You can at least somewhat keep traditional opponents in play.
You are correct about Houston - unless it gets into the SEC.

But you are wrong your equal regionalism. Just because places are on a map does not mean enough people living there care about CFB to have even 1 school from that region. Much less the same number as regions that do watch CFB in large numbers and do reduce a lot of top players.

Holy Cross is actually the most 'traditional' opponent of BCM, and that matters much less than Zero in keeping the SCC alive and reasonably competitive at the top.

On the other hand, large school Cincinnati is Louisville's most played rival in both revenue sports, is located in a TV market that dearly loves CFB and produces very large number to top players. So that rivalry can matter positively for the ACC. As can having the Backyard Brawl. And rivalries among TX schools.

Houston is the number 1 school that would be an accretive addition in Texas for the acc
I assume you say that because of its student body size. Texas Tech is also a large state university, and in the 3 big sports (football, basketball, and baseball) it has been better overall with definitely more proven fans overall. Perhaps best of all, the TV market with the largest number of TTU alums is DFW. And while West TX is sparsely populated, having a state school that is THE state school for its region of itsbstate matters.

I assume you say that because of its student body size. Texas Tech is also a large state university, and in the 3 big sports (football, basketball, and baseball) it has been better overall with definitely more proven fans overall. Perhaps best of all, the TV market with the largest number of TTU alums is DFW. And while West TX is sparsely populated, having a state school that is THE state school for its region of itsbstate matters.
Actually TTU would work well with SMU. The caveat is I'd don't think any B12 school is realistic until 2030 or so.

Academics aren't great but aren't horrible either

The downside: Texas Tech is in Lubbock and is remote. However by airplane they would be the closest school to CalFord.

Matt Brown is a journalist and unlike Greg Swaim and most B12 charlatans actually gives opinion as opinion.

He is usually behind a paywall...free article below

The thing I don’t understand with the idea of a big donor stepping in and paying the $500 million exit fee…

Why not just give the $500 million to the school, that offsets the 30 to 50 million less (spread out over 10-15 years) they think they’re entitled to. And have more success in the ACC? Tells me #1, it’s not going to happen. And#2 it’s just about ego.

Actually TTU would work well with SMU. The caveat is I'd don't think any B12 school is realistic until 2030 or so.

Academics aren't great but aren't horrible either

The downside: Texas Tech is in Lubbock and is remote. However by airplane they would be the closest school to CalFord.

If the ACC makes an exception IMO Tech is the better choice over Houston right now. Things can change by 2030 though.

Matt Brown is a journalist and unlike Greg Swaim and most B12 charlatans actually gives opinion as opinion.

He is usually behind a paywall...free article below

So, this guy reads our board, writes an article and gets paid for it. We need a cut and I am for it going to SU NIL funds.

It is amusing how many on here saw what was really at stake and how FSU was merely throwing a tantrum knowing they had little chance beyond embarrassing the ACC to the point of getting rid of FSU. Alford is a joke and should be canned immediately. The FSU BoT should be replaced for agreeing with the most amateur AD in all of college sports. Anyway, rant over.

You are correct about Houston - unless it gets into the SEC.

But you are wrong your equal regionalism. Just because places are on a map does not mean enough people living there care about CFB to have even 1 school from that region. Much less the same number as regions that do watch CFB in large numbers and do reduce a lot of top players.

Holy Cross is actually the most 'traditional' opponent of BCM, and that matters much less than Zero in keeping the SCC alive and reasonably competitive at the top.

On the other hand, large school Cincinnati is Louisville's most played rival in both revenue sports, is located in a TV market that dearly loves CFB and produces very large number to top players. So that rivalry can matter positively for the ACC. As can having the Backyard Brawl. And rivalries among TX schools.
The Keg of Nails is the Louisville-Cincinnati trophy, 54 games.

I don't think they would take both AZ schools. Not sure that it makes sense to.

IMO the dream would be to add San Diego State, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Baylor plus one other. Then you could have:

Stanford, Cal, San Diego State, Arizona State, Utah
Colorado, Kansas, SMU, Baylor, X

Where X could be UNLV, Arizona, TCU, Iowa State but then you might need to shift the divisions around (move Utah over) depending on who you take.
SDSU fits academically, unsure about the others.
Could change name to the All Coast Conference.

If the ACC makes an exception IMO Tech is the better choice over Houston right now. Things can change by 2030 though.
Texas Tech owns west TX and the panhandle. They have a fairly significant amount of Alumni in the TX big Metros.

This definitely felt made up and Woad is an ACC apologist so it tracks...
Made up what? You think that there ACC office was not trying to get ESPN to allow the ACC top take enough Pac members to lure Washington and Oregon? Even that bunch is not so dumb as to pass up that opportunity. Are you aware that talks between ACC and Pac go back years, to when there was a-possibility that the two might share a network? Are you aware that before SC and UCLA left, the ACC had been talking won the Pac about honestly doing what The Alliance promised via OOC scheduling?

Have you simply failed to see how ESPN has treated the ACC over the past 6-7 years? As soon as FSU w left out of the Playoffs, ESPN was ready with all kinds of people to explain why that decisions made sense, and al of them were about the bACC being weak. And except for the specific, there was nothing new about that. ESPN growing sleights against the ACC have included basketball. ESPN has maybe half of the Big 12 broadcasts, but ESPN more than Fox has been chirping incessantly over the past few years about the greatness of Big 12 basketball, usually while dumping on ACC basketball.

Have you seen none of that?

It was a surprise to many that ESPN would get 100% of the SEC rights. Part of the SEC demands for ESPN to get them was that the SEC demanded that ESPN not sponsor any other conference network. Like the BT, it wanted to be the One and Only media darling. The problem for ESPN was that it earlier had made a promise to the ACC to sponsor a network. So when ESPN finally delivered on that, the SEC was furious. And that is when SEC relations with the ACC became icy to say the least. Surely you are aware that the SECN is headquartered in Charlotte. Why might that be? The SEC does not have a school located in NC.

Made up what? You think that there ACC office was not trying to get ESPN to allow the ACC top take enough Pac members to lure Washington and Oregon? Even that bunch is not so dumb as to pass up that opportunity. Are you aware that talks between ACC and Pac go back years, to when there was a-possibility that the two might share a network? Are you aware that before SC and UCLA left, the ACC had been talking won the Pac about honestly doing what The Alliance promised via OOC scheduling?

Have you simply failed to see how ESPN has treated the ACC over the past 6-7 years? As soon as FSU w left out of the Playoffs, ESPN was ready with all kinds of people to explain why that decisions made sense, and al of them were about the bACC being weak. And except for the specific, there was nothing new about that. ESPN growing sleights against the ACC have included basketball. ESPN has maybe half of the Big 12 broadcasts, but ESPN more than Fox has been chirping incessantly over the past few years about the greatness of Big 12 basketball, usually while dumping on ACC basketball.

Have you seen none of that?

It was a surprise to many that ESPN would get 100% of the SEC rights. Part of the SEC demands for ESPN to get them was that the SEC demanded that ESPN not sponsor any other conference network. Like the BT, it wanted to be the One and Only media darling. The problem for ESPN was that it earlier had made a promise to the ACC to sponsor a network. So when ESPN finally delivered on that, the SEC was furious. And that is when SEC relations with the ACC became icy to say the least. Surely you are aware that the SECN is headquartered in Charlotte. Why might that be? The SEC does not have a school located in NC.

Can we confirm...

bcd26519-1a35-4f1e-8a67-938fb084f1b5_text.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom