ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 334 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Houston is the fourth largest city population in the country

Once a Cash Cow, Cable TV Is Now Roadkill. Is a Fire Sale Next?

Thought this was an interesting article. I still think the big ten could jettison teams such as a Rutgers or northwestern. If linear cable dies what value do they have?

And the cable companies have become such large conglomerates all they care about is profits, so even as noted in that article, they increase prices and cut entertainment to try to stay profitable and don't even realize that's why people are cutting the cord. People are done with paying more for less, and their answer is to charge more and offer less. No one should be surprised this is happening.

I fully expect that the ACC will make an expansion play in order to increase revenue and hedge against any defections. My two cents is that we add four more schools. Sandiego State, another from Texas with Houston being my choice, Colorado which would be a personal dream school for me and one other school. Other schools that I could see would include Tulane, and of course if we could poach Utah and or the two Arizona school's homerun.
I don’t know SDSU and Tulane really don’t move the needle for me. For now we just have to keep hoping the SEC and B10 don’t make a move for FSU/Clemson. I find it strange that all a sudden neither “wants” them. Maybe it’s a negotiating tactic to drive down payout for first few seasons, or the dream would be that it’s legit, and adding FSU and Clemson doesn’t really add enough to the pie to make each schools shares less? Right now i’m more worried about the B10 making a move to try and get down in the southeast, especially Florida. I’m not sure if it still matters, but neither Clemson or FSU currently have an AAU accrediation. However, ironic as it may be, FSU is projected to have it in 2026, and Clemson recently reveled a program called Clemson Elevate, or something like that, in order to receive their accreditation. Could that be a coincidence?

Anyway, let’s assume best case scenario, which i’m unfortunately pessimistic about at the moment, that the ACC somehow manages to stick together. The 4 schools I would want are WVU, Houston, Arizona, and Colorado. However, I don’t see the ACC raiding the B12, or vice versa, as a legit option at this point. Considering that i really can’t think of 4 schools that would be worth bringing in only to reduce our share of the pie. There’s absolutely nobody with enough name value to make it worthwhile.

I wish the ACC was proactive and went after Houston, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona before the B12 added them. In addition to SMU/Calford, it would have been the perfect fit joining east to west.

I don’t know SDSU and Tulane really don’t move the needle for me. For now we just have to keep hoping the SEC and B10 don’t make a move for FSU/Clemson. I find it strange that all a sudden neither “wants” them. Maybe it’s a negotiating tactic to drive down payout for first few seasons, or the dream would be that it’s legit, and adding FSU and Clemson doesn’t really add enough to the pie to make each schools shares less? Right now i’m more worried about the B10 making a move to try and get down in the southeast, especially Florida. I’m not sure if it still matters, but neither Clemson or FSU currently have an AAU accrediation. However, ironic as it may be, FSU is projected to have it in 2026, and Clemson recently reveled a program called Clemson Elevate, or something like that, in order to receive their accreditation. Could that be a coincidence?

Anyway, let’s assume best case scenario, which i’m unfortunately pessimistic about at the moment, that the ACC somehow manages to stick together. The 4 schools I would want are WVU, Houston, Arizona, and Colorado. However, I don’t see the ACC raiding the B12, or vice versa, as a legit option at this point. Considering that i really can’t think of 4 schools that would be worth bringing in only to reduce our share of the pie. There’s absolutely nobody with enough name value to make it worthwhile.

I wish the ACC was proactive and went after Houston, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona before the B12 added them. In addition to SMU/Calford, it would have been the perfect fit joining east to west.
Neither conference can say they want them...the ACC would sue

Tortious Interference

Eh not really.
sesame street help GIF by PBS KIDS

Once a Cash Cow, Cable TV Is Now Roadkill. Is a Fire Sale Next?

Thought this was an interesting article. I still think the big ten could jettison teams such as a Rutgers or northwestern. If linear cable dies what value do they have?
IIRC, most conferences require like a 3/4 supermajority to expel teams. Once there's a move to do that, the non-bluebloods start thinking about their position and if they're next. Those two get booted and Indiana, Nebraska, and Iowa start to get nervous.

If Notre Dame comes the B1G hat in hand you know Rutgers is getting the boot.
Notre Dame can't go to the B1G until 2036. Their contract/agreement/whatever it's called with the ACC specifies that they must join the ACC if they join a conference for football before the expiration of the GOR.

Last edited:
IIRC, most conferences require like a 3/4 supermajority to expel teams. Once there's a move to do that, the non-bluebloods start thinking about their position and if they're next. Those two get booted and Indiana, Nebraska, and Iowa start to get nervous.
The B1G is not booting anyone, even God’s gift to college football mediocrity, Buttgers.

Sankey, in his remarks at the SEC football pre-season festivities, indicated that his conference did not want to get in the middle of other conferences' legal tussles.
Not that it matters but Greg is pretty close with JB and JW

Notre Dame can't go to the B1G until 2036. Their contract/agreement/whatever it's called with the ACC specifies that they must join the ACC if they join a conference for football before the expiration of the GOR.
I know they have entered into this agreement.

But are there any specified penalties if they should attempt this prior to 2036? Or would it just be lawsuit-driven?

I know they have entered into this agreement.

But are there any specified penalties if they should attempt this prior to 2036? Or would it just be lawsuit-driven?
IIRC, there's an exit fee and there could be TV rights restrictions.

The B1G is not booting anyone, even God’s gift to college football mediocrity, Buttgers.

Absolutely not booting Rutgers. Having Rutgers in conference gives everyone a guaranteed, in conference win every single year. It helps them in their perceived SOS to get to the playoffs.

And the cable companies have become such large conglomerates all they care about is profits, so even as noted in that article, they increase prices and cut entertainment to try to stay profitable and don't even realize that's why people are cutting the cord. People are done with paying more for less, and their answer is to charge more and offer less. No one should be surprised this is happening.
Car makers are doing the same, and they also are far from alone.

WE are in an era in which those who own and control the huge corporations will destroy everything just to keep getting richer. At some point, such people will demand that Big Government force the masses to buy their wares at whatever price they set. And they will call that Capitalism and freedom.

That is human nature.

Absolutely not booting Rutgers. Having Rutgers in conference gives everyone a guaranteed, in conference win every single year. It helps them in their perceived SOS to get to the playoffs.
But that kind of thinking is only done for BT and SEC. If Wake or Dook or BC beats a sound ACC team with a football fan base, the same media that preaches how PSU always stomping Rutgers proves that the top of the BT is simply SUPERB will prattle over and over how the ACC is proven weak because a Dook might win 4 league games.

Not that it matters but Greg is pretty close with JB and JW
Sankey would sell not just them and all of the Syracuse area, but also his grandma for butchering, in order to double his personal wealth and be remembered as the guy who proved even more successfully ruthless than the BT.

It was a surprise to many that ESPN would get 100% of the SEC rights. Part of the SEC demands for ESPN to get them was that the SEC demanded that ESPN not sponsor any other conference network. Like the BT, it wanted to be the One and Only media darling. The problem for ESPN was that it earlier had made a promise to the ACC to sponsor a network. So when ESPN finally delivered on that, the SEC was furious. And that is when SEC relations with the ACC became icy to say the least. Surely you are aware that the SECN is headquartered in Charlotte. Why might that be? The SEC does not have a school located in NC.
And again, this is false.

Well, the SECN HQ in Charlotte is true. But not for the conspiratorial reason you think it is.

And again, this is false.

Well, the SECN HQ in Charlotte is true. But not for the conspiratorial reason you think it is.
Eh, I'll just say it explicitly so people get the point.

In 1994 ESPN bought Ohlmeyer Communications Company, owned by famous media executive Don Ohlmeyer. Prior to that purchase OCC had bought Creative Sports, another media production house. OCC was based in LA. Creative Sports was based in... Charlotte.

ESPN rebranded OCC as ESPN Regional Television and consolidated all operations in... Charlotte.

They did so in... 1996.

All of ESPN's regional production has come from the Charlotte facility ever since. The old "Big East Network" syndicated football and basketball packages? HQ'd from Charlotte.

Needless to say, when ESPN launched the SEC Network it made financial sense to operate the channel out of... Charlotte. Because it would have been expensive, duplicative, and generally stupid to open a brand new production facility in, say, Oxford, Mississippi.

When the ACCN was created it made sense to also operate it from... Charlotte. For the aforementioned reasons.

If ESPN someday launches the Big Sky Network you can be pretty sure it'll operate from... Charlotte.

So yeah, there you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom