ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If Wake is ready to step down because a school that size (just ask Rice) simply cannot keep up this game of Big Time football, then I'm all for WVU in the ACC.
A weekend in Winston-Salem is an underrated experience, tbh.

Moravian bakery FTW!!!!

The acc big ten and pac 12 don’t want the sec to decide the future. That’s all. The sec is stronger than all those conferences but the sec isn’t stronger than the acc big ten pac 12 combined. These conferences are trying to make sure the collective good is protected. That’s what this is about

The acc big ten and pac 12 don’t want the sec to decide the future. That’s all. The sec is stronger than all those conferences but the sec isn’t stronger than the acc big ten pac 12 combined. These conferences are trying to make sure the collective good is protected. That’s what this is about
Sorry if already posted. Surprised Wildhack not on the committee, but his ESPN ties might preclude him from this role:

Once the schools/conferences realize that the collective good includes sufficient teams for true nationwide coverage, the conferences can band together for a group negotiation. Obviously there is much more money being left on the table by the conferences, they are merely catching up to what the pro leagues do.

The concept that a regional conference will carry CFB is nonsense. While a few games will garner national attention, most SEC games will not. Who cares when the Mississippi schools pay? Arkansas? Vandy? etc. I think the SEC knows this, too.

Sorry if already posted. Surprised Wildhack not on the committee, but his ESPN ties might preclude him from this role:

Not saying he’s been a bad AD but what has Wildhack done since he’s been in place that makes some people so surprised when he not included on this or that ACC committee?

I haven’t notice a discernible change in the trajectory of our sports programs other than Women’s basketball seems to be at somewhat of a crisis point. Maybe we shouldn’t blame him for that but he is at the wheel. People would have the pitchforks out for Daryl Gross. I guess the protection of alumni status really has its privileges.

Once again it’s not a shot…I’m truly curious as to the list of benefits we’ve received from Wildhack’s time/experience at ESPN.

Not saying he’s been a bad AD but what has Wildhack done since he’s been in place that makes some people so surprised when he not included on this or that ACC committee?

I haven’t notice a discernible change in the trajectory of our sports programs other than Women’s basketball seems to be at somewhat of a crisis point. Maybe we shouldn’t blame him for that but he is at the wheel. People would have the pitchforks out for Daryl Gross. I guess the protection of alumni status really has its privileges.

Once again it’s not a shot…I’m truly curious as to the list of benefits we’ve received from Wildhack’s time/experience at ESPN.
There's a separate thread on this somewhere. Lots of perspectives there. I think the person who mentioned their surprise JW was not included was for the simple reason he was once part of the ESPN world and perhaps may have brought perspective or knowledge in that arena which may have been useful? That is just me guessing though.

There's a separate thread on this somewhere. Lots of perspectives there. I think the person who mentioned their surprise JW was not included was for the simple reason he was once part of the ESPN world and perhaps may have brought perspective or knowledge in that arena which may have been useful? That is just me guessing though.
And that could mean that he is not respected or esteemed enough as an AD by his peers.

And that could mean that he is not respected or esteemed enough as an AD by his peers.
Or it means that since I believe he lead the search for the new ACC Commissioner that they are just rotating responsibilities amongst the ADs? Pretty sure...say 95% sure he led the search committee for the new commish or was on it. Not defending ADJW, just stating I would not read to deeply into him not being assigned as one of the ADs on this new review. My guess is it is pretty standard to rotate the ADs amongst initiatives that crop up so that everyone gets a turn so to speak.

I wouldnt read much into it. What you need to know is that we are very lucky to have him as our AD. He will ensure us a seat at the table as he hold as much if not more respect in the media world than any other AD in the country. JW is as important to SU in this next round as anyone.

Or it means that since I believe he lead the search for the new ACC Commissioner that they are just rotating responsibilities amongst the ADs? Pretty sure...say 95% sure he led the search committee for the new commish or was on it. Not defending ADJW, just stating I would not read to deeply into him not being assigned as one of the ADs on this new review. My guess is it is pretty standard to rotate the ADs amongst initiatives that crop up so that everyone gets a turn so to speak.

John was 1 of 5 ADs on the search committee.

B1G should use this as a Trojan horse to take the 9 schools that fit from the P12 and 9 schools that fit from the ACC. Then you can really squeeze out the SEC both scheduling and financially. You might even be able to get some low hanging SEC fruit to leave for the B1G.

If the three are going to remain separate, they should eventually pool Tier 1/2 TV rights. They could all make more money that way. It would be nice for everyone to play 9 conference games, one OOC vs the other two alliance conferences, and then 1 game however you like (G5, SEC, another Alliance 3). Bowl games they should just play each other, no SEC. The SEC would be left playing the best G5 teams.

It would be hard to have all three have the same number fo teams. ACC has 15 with ND and could easily get to 16 with WV. B1G can easily get to 15 with Kansas, but who they taking for 16? Iowa State? P12 would be a stretch to get to 15. Oklahoma State, Texas Tech Houston? For 16 it is even harder. UNLV, Kansas State?

Well, I don’t know. He was No. 2 in command at ESPN, the very agency they are trying to thwart or stifle. And while at ESPN, he was in change of CFB and CBB scheduling, which appears to be one key component of the panel’s existence. So, he’d have key understandings of scheduling demands, needs, hurdles and non starters for (checks notes) … every P5(4) school.

One side topic. I hope everyone understand that there is an absolute dearth of talent running conferences and athletic departments. Not exclusive to the ACC. It’s a nationwide problem. By my estimation, there are around 12-15 smart, competent Commissioners and ADs. Twenty on the high end.

We happen to likely have one at the helm of the ACC, although the jury is still out. But 98% of the B1G Illuminati would swap Phillips for Warren in a nanosecond.

As for SU, let’s just say Wildhack is comfortably within the top 12-15 that I spoke of. He knows most everyone and is respected universally.

Last edited:
I know less about this stuff than most people over the age of 8. But I know this much: whatever happens from here is not about the fans, schools or even the conferences. It’s about money. Once the NIL dam broke, there is literally nothing to keep the powers that be from just going all in on making fortunes off of CFB. Previously they had to at least appear to be responsible shapers of young men through amateur athletics. Well, that veil was lifted. It’s business time.

Last edited:
In response to this, ESPN could have been looking out for us before all this. We are stuck in a subpar contract with them all the while Clemson keeps showing up in the CFP, and ACC basketball keeps delivering
Well I got to admit Beyond ESPN owning the contract or owning the network I should say beyond that I do not know all that much about the contract the money it pays the conference overtime till it ends, all that I just know that it owns the network and I would think that it has some kind of interest in keeping it going along with the ACC intact

B1G should use this as a Trojan horse to take the 9 schools that fit from the P12 and 9 schools that fit from the ACC. Then you can really squeeze out the SEC both scheduling and financially. You might even be able to get some low hanging SEC fruit to leave for the B1G.

If the three are going to remain separate, they should eventually pool Tier 1/2 TV rights. They could all make more money that way. It would be nice for everyone to play 9 conference games, one OOC vs the other two alliance conferences, and then 1 game however you like (G5, SEC, another Alliance 3). Bowl games they should just play each other, no SEC. The SEC would be left playing the best G5 teams.

It would be hard to have all three have the same number fo teams. ACC has 15 with ND and could easily get to 16 with WV. B1G can easily get to 15 with Kansas, but who they taking for 16? Iowa State? P12 would be a stretch to get to 15. Oklahoma State, Texas Tech Houston? For 16 it is even harder. UNLV, Kansas State?
They could raid the Mountain West, and the remnants of the Mountain West can merge with B12 remnants.

Pac12 could take some combo of Boise State, Colorado State, Nevada, UNLV, Utah State, Fresno State, Hawaii

They could raid the Mountain West, and the remnants of the Mountain West can merge with B12 remnants.

Pac12 could take some combo of Boise State, Colorado State, Nevada, UNLV, Utah State, Fresno State, Hawaii
The Pac definitely does not need any more teams in Pacific Time. The Pac does not need any more teams in Mountain Time except BYU, which the Pac will not take. The Pac needs to play many more games against teams from Central Time and Eastern Time.

If the Pac is going to expand, its top 2 should be Texas Tech and Ok St. If it is going to 16, it should also take 2 of 3 from among KU, K-St, and ISU. The Pac really needs to have a presence in Central Time. If the Pac could swallow its disgust with schools that have a religious tie, it would do well to take TTU, Ok ST, TCU, and Baylor, and go all in on the southwest.

And the Pac really needs to schedule a lot of games versus Big Ten and ACC teams.

Dennis Dodd on this talk of scheduling alliance.

Dodd has hated the ACC for many years, back into the last century. He's an old time Big 8 guy, and he will never get over the fact that the Big 8 had to dissolve for the brand new charted league the Big XII to be born, while the ACC survived. So I find this article interesting. It seems he accepts that if we have 4 Major/Power conferences, the ACC will be one of them. And now that the SEC has killed the Big XII, Dodd realizes that hating and resenting the ACC has been very stupid of him. Now, if the SEC is to be contained, the Big Ten that Dodd has worshipfully admired requires the help of the ACC.

That is an essential point. A BT-Pac alliance can effect next to nothing vis a vis SEC football strength and ability to dominate playoffs. Part of the South must be involved, and that means the ACC.

Very interesting paragraph: "In the TV media rights game, networks are basically paying for Ohio State-Michigan in the Big Ten, a couple of Duke-North Carolina basketball games in the ACC and USC-UCLA in the Pac-12. Everything else is extra baggage. With a four-conference consolidation, the best games would be wrapped in a tighter package."

One thing that Dodd knows that very few other sportswriters either know or will acknowledge is that UNC-Dook is the only basketball rivalry that corresponds roughly with the biggest football rivalries. And if the surviving Major/Power conferences do move to secede from the NCAA Tournament, or else remake it so that they earn much more from it (as they deserve), then the largest hoops programs will see their values grow to TV networks.

That is a key reason that ESPN cannot afford to piss off the ACC.

Jim Phillips must be negotiating deftly with both the BT and ESPN. ACC football needs even more OOC games vs. Brand Name programs. The SEC teams all have long histories of asserting that because the SEC is so much tougher than any other league, SEC teams don't need to play any OOC gams to prove anything to anybody. If ESPN cannot deliver Texas, OU, A&M, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss versus ACC teams, then the ACC needs to work to get series with Rose Bowl Brand Names: Ohio St, Michigan, Mich St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, SC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington.

A UNC-Michigan Home-Away means 1 game on Fox. A UNC-Texas Home Away means both games on ESPN/ABC.

The ACC goal, in order to increase TV viewers, should be for each team to play 2 OOC games per season versus a P4 team. We are more likely to reach that goal in alliance with the BT and Pac than by allowing ESPN to try to ask the SEC to help.

If Wake is ready to step down because a school that size (just ask Rice) simply cannot keep up this game of Big Time football, then I'm all for WVU in the ACC.
No. The conference needs Wake for it's APR, highest of the NC schools. Plus have to have a school that requires the athletes to take real courses.

Dennis Dodd on this talk of scheduling alliance.

Dodd has hated the ACC for many years, back into the last century. He's an old time Big 8 guy, and he will never get over the fact that the Big 8 had to dissolve for the brand new charted league the Big XII to be born, while the ACC survived. So I find this article interesting. It seems he accepts that if we have 4 Major/Power conferences, the ACC will be one of them. And now that the SEC has killed the Big XII, Dodd realizes that hating and resenting the ACC has been very stupid of him. Now, if the SEC is to be contained, the Big Ten that Dodd has worshipfully admired requires the help of the ACC.

That is an essential point. A BT-Pac alliance can effect next to nothing vis a vis SEC football strength and ability to dominate playoffs. Part of the South must be involved, and that means the ACC.

Very interesting paragraph: "In the TV media rights game, networks are basically paying for Ohio State-Michigan in the Big Ten, a couple of Duke-North Carolina basketball games in the ACC and USC-UCLA in the Pac-12. Everything else is extra baggage. With a four-conference consolidation, the best games would be wrapped in a tighter package."

One thing that Dodd knows that very few other sportswriters either know or will acknowledge is that UNC-Dook is the only basketball rivalry that corresponds roughly with the biggest football rivalries. And if the surviving Major/Power conferences do move to secede from the NCAA Tournament, or else remake it so that they earn much more from it (as they deserve), then the largest hoops programs will see their values grow to TV networks.

That is a key reason that ESPN cannot afford to piss off the ACC.

Jim Phillips must be negotiating deftly with both the BT and ESPN. ACC football needs even more OOC games vs. Brand Name programs. The SEC teams all have long histories of asserting that because the SEC is so much tougher than any other league, SEC teams don't need to play any OOC gams to prove anything to anybody. If ESPN cannot deliver Texas, OU, A&M, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss versus ACC teams, then the ACC needs to work to get series with Rose Bowl Brand Names: Ohio St, Michigan, Mich St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, SC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington.

A UNC-Michigan Home-Away means 1 game on Fox. A UNC-Texas Home Away means both games on ESPN/ABC.

The ACC goal, in order to increase TV viewers, should be for each team to play 2 OOC games per season versus a P4 team. We are more likely to reach that goal in alliance with the BT and Pac than by allowing ESPN to try to ask the SEC to help.
There is a lot to like about your post. I'd like to understand the ACC's strategy for how this can increase team revenue short of ESPN jacking up our payout before 2036 - if what the ACC is doing pisses off ESPN. As a long term global approach - I like it.

Well, I don’t know. He was No. 2 in command at ESPN, the very agency they are trying to thwart or stifle. And while at ESPN, he was in change of CFB and CBB scheduling, which appears to be one key component of the panel’s existence. So, he’d have key understandings of scheduling demands, needs, hurdles and non starters for (checks notes) … every P5(4) school.

One side topic. I hope everyone understand that there is an absolute dearth of talent running conferences and athletic departments. Not exclusive to the ACC. It’s a nationwide problem. By my estimation, there are around 12-15 smart, competent Commissioners and ADs. Twenty on the high end.

We happen to likely have one at the helm of the ACC, although the jury is still out. But 98% of the B1G Illuminati would swap Phillips for Warren in a nanosecond.

As for SU, let’s just say Wildhack is comfortably within the top 12-15 that I spoke of. He knows most everyone and is respected
Well that didn’t answer my question but ok.

Take classes? Who the hell cares about that? This is college athletics, not like real college.
I am unable to give your post a “Like” even though I appreciate the accuracy of the sarcasm. It’s just too depressing. But you’re right. In the era of NIL, no one cares if classes are a part of college football except a few of us old farts.

The SEC cannot stand alone. The ACC cannot stand alone. The B1G cannot stand alone. The PAC can barely stand, so they cannot stand alone.

The issue for the B1G is that they have no serious following in the southeast and much of the east coast. Premier games may garner some interest out of the region but few people care about Purdue/Wiscy or Minnesota at Iowa.

The issue for the SEC is they have no northeastern or midwestern fan base. Sure, a few premier games will get watched but most SEC games are not garnering a following.

The ACC has the east coast but no midwestern and limited southern fan bases (Florida, yes, but nothing west of FL.)

The PAC has limited interest in its own region and little elsewhere.

The conferences must band together like the pros and negotiate a huge deal with several networks and equal payouts to all the schools. That is the only way to preserve the game long term.

If only 30-40 schools make this "final cut" for the "one power league", CFB will cease to exist as we know it and people will not watch. People watch college sports because of personal connections, unlike the pros.

ESPN had best play nice with the ACC on the next "look-in" or the ACC/B1G/PAC alliance could crush them by limiting them to SEC and possibly locking them out of extra OOC games. The SEC, having several big names can name only one champion each year. For OU and UT to have a significant presence means they have to displace other teams. Otherwise, OU and UT will become irrelevant in the SEC. The number of conference wins and losses remains equal, for each win there is a loss.

The SEC and ESPN should have strengthened the SEC/ACC relationship many years ago, locking elite football and basketball into one alliance. ESPN got greedy and played games. It will be interesting to see what they do now.

Last edited:
I am unable to give your post a “Like” even though I appreciate the accuracy of the sarcasm. It’s just too depressing. But you’re right. In the era of NIL, no one cares if classes are a part of college football except a few of us old farts.
Count me as an old fart who thinks classes and academic performance should remain a part of college athletics.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom