ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

The money to free Oklahoma and Texas early is going to be crazy. Guessing twice as much and that would be for every year they leave early.

The money to free Oklahoma and Texas early is going to be crazy. Guessing twice as much and that would be for every year they leave early.
Their getting on the SEC gravy train, they hit paydirt.

Seeing the list of teams going to the AAC makes you wonder, why? None of those programs are quality. They already have a TX school, do they really need to add 3 more? Especially when none of those add value? They already have teams in FL and NC, is there really value in adding more? Maybe you add 2 teams as 8 is on the small side but why go to 14? Wouldn't a 10 team league with a true round robin in both sports be better than a 14 team league?

Look at the fanbases they are adding (2019 / 2021 attendance)

Charlotte 12,300 / 13,300
Florida Atlantic 17,600 / 18,825
North Texas 21,350 / 16,650
Rice 22,200 / 18,600
UAB 24,725 / 25,625
Texas San Antonio 19,900 / 26,650

App State, Marshall, Southern Miss, and Troy have better fanbases than most of those teams, yet get left out?

IMO they should have added UAB and UTSA only.
I honestly think the Sun Belt Conference jumped to the top of the G5 heap this offseason. They made some savvy moves.

I honestly think the Sun Belt Conference jumped to the top of the G5 heap this offseason. They made some savvy moves.

So Miss made sense. I think the other 3 teams move the conference geographically. If they had added Florida International and Middle Tennessee instead it fills the map better. Or they could have gone to 16 by taking these 2 schools, adding Western Kentucky, and not taking Old Dominion. That would have given the league a team in every state. Pretty easy to make pods too.

North- Marhsall, JMU, WKU, MTSU
East- App State, Coastal Carolina, GA St, GA So
West- Texas St, ULM, Louisiana, Ark State
South- USA, USM, Troy, FIU

800px-Sun_Belt_states_map_updated_2016.svg.png

The MAC might be the only conference at this point that makes sense geographically.

1654958090307.png

Edit

Also going to 16 might have killed off CUSA as well. So less competition for G5 TV money. Would LA Tech, ODU, and UTEP have stuck together? Those 3 are nowhere near each other. Adding Jacksonville St, Liberty, NM St, and Sam Houston St doesn't really help to bridge the gap. And it would only be a 7 team league.

If I were a fan of one of those schools I would want to be in a conference that made sense for non football sports, and then be Indy for FB. LA Tech, ODU, UTEP, NM St, Liberty, UConn, and UMass can all play each other as Indies. Then get paid via 3 P5 games, add in 2 G5s, and finally an FCS. That would only be 5 home games but financially it is best for your program.

Edit II

Actually I think the members of CUSA might have voted to dissolve, that way they don't pay exit fees. It was a 14 team league leaving 5 behind. That isn't enough votes to dissolve. But had it been only 3 being left behind, would that have gotten it done? Over 75% would have voted Yes.

Last edited:
So Miss made sense. I think the other 3 teams move the conference geographically. If they had added Florida International and Middle Tennessee instead it fills the map better. Or they could have gone to 16 by taking these 2 schools, adding Western Kentucky, and not taking Old Dominion. That would have given the league a team in every state. Pretty easy to make pods too.

North- Marhsall, JMU, WKU, MTSU
East- App State, Coastal Carolina, GA St, GA So
West- Texas St, ULM, Louisiana, Ark State
South- USA, USM, Troy, FIU

800px-Sun_Belt_states_map_updated_2016.svg.png

The MAC might be the only conference at this point that makes sense geographically.

View attachment 217694

Edit

Also going to 16 might have killed off CUSA as well. So less competition for G5 TV money. Would LA Tech, ODU, and UTEP have stuck together? Those 3 are nowhere near each other. Adding Jacksonville St, Liberty, NM St, and Sam Houston St doesn't really help to bridge the gap. And it would only be a 7 team league.

If I were a fan of one of those schools I would want to be in a conference that made sense for non football sports, and then be Indy for FB. LA Tech, ODU, UTEP, NM St, Liberty, UConn, and UMass can all play each other as Indies. Then get paid via 3 P5 games, add in 2 G5s, and finally an FCS. That would only be 5 home games but financially it is best for your program.

Edit II

Actually I think the members of CUSA might have voted to dissolve, that way they don't pay exit fees. It was a 14 team league leaving 5 behind. That isn't enough votes to dissolve. But had it been only 3 being left behind, would that have gotten it done? Over 75% would have voted Yes.
I believe middle tennessee declined to join after months of negotiations

Might as well put this here.

That get them to 8 wins in the SEC?

Probably not.

If he succeeds at Texas then I’ll believe he’s a generational talent right off the bat.

That get them to 8 wins in the SEC?

Probably not.

If he succeeds at Texas then I’ll believe he’s a generational talent right off the bat.

My first thought too. If he can get Texas to the CFP then he's gonna be a HOF player.

Texas is not really a pro passing game school. Somewhat strange choice.

You show this like this is a bad thing. No longer any stigma w/ giving out bags, its actually an asset. Guaranteed he’s got a boatload of UTexas NIL deals lined up!
All due respect but this is how the game is played now, how the big boys do it. SU either starts to “get it” or we get left behind.

You show this like this is a bad thing. No longer any stigma w/ giving out bags, its actually an asset. Guaranteed he’s got a boatload of UTexas NIL deals lined up!
All due respect but this is how the game is played now, how the big boys do it. SU either starts to “get it” or we get left behind.
Where did I say it was a bad thing?

This particular family doesn't need NIL money, or shady bags or whatever we're doing these days. This might be the most "pure" QB recruitment at the top of the class you'll be likely to see

There is a difference between "family" money and Arch Manning's money. College NIL means he no longer needs to ask mom and dad from some spending money. It probably was not the primary reason he chose Texas, but I have to believe it played into the decision.

There is a difference between "family" money and Arch Manning's money. College NIL means he no longer needs to ask mom and dad from some spending money. It probably was not the primary reason he chose Texas, but I have to believe it played into the decision.
Has anyone ever done less with more ever than Texas? They are Premier school in the best state for football talent. You couldn't ask for a better place to live than Austin and other than that one title with Mack they have won next to nothing.

Texas is not really a pro passing game school. Somewhat strange choice.

Chris Simms did OK at Texas. He got paid for 7 or 8 years in the NFL.

Flush the whole thing then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom