ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

The ACC has no one to blame but themselves. They should have gotten rid of Swofford when Pitt and Syracuse joined. They never should have signed the additional GOR.
Should have dissolved the league then, and let all the schools go wherever they could.

The ACC has no one to blame but themselves. They should have gotten rid of Swofford when Pitt and Syracuse joined. They never should have signed the additional GOR.
Should have dissolved the league then, and let all the schools go wherever they could.

We owe the ACC everything financially. You are right. Swofford screwed the schools looking to jump up to the big 2. But he REALLY helped us stem the tide for the 25 years or so from 2011 to 2035. They should put a BoJangles statue outside of Manley in honor of John Swofford.

ASU and Arizona are not splitting. 100%.

Oregon and OSU...may. Not likely, but not 100%. But I follow Arizona and that rivalry and the way the schools interconnect. Geographically, there is a mutual need there.

The ACC's proactive move is reaching out to the PAC 12 now and saying hey. Let's create a 24.5 team, 2 division mega conference that owns the coasts, minus LA for now. East division will likely be 14 teams for football, west division 10. Every year teams play 6 teams in their division, 4 in the other.

The ACC and PAC 12 schools need to come to grips with reality. These conferences are done when it comes to any chance to be top tier again. This is about creating a package that is good enough to command reasonable TV money and also will firmly establish it right behind the 2 big conferences along with the B12.

The caveat here is...I admittedly don't know if this prevents Clemson, FSU, Oregon, and Washington from leaving.

I don't think absorbing the entire P12 would make a difference. You are basically proposing 2 separate leagues with a small scheduling agreement that shares TV.

Plus why take the dead weight of Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State? That is a big problem IMO for the ACC, B12, and P12. Too much dead weight.

Nothing is going to bring the P little 3 conference teams close to the P big 2 conference teams. That is coming to grips with reality. No combo of those 36 schools is going to make a significant difference from where they currently are. You are going to have B1G/SEC then a huge gap.

If you grabbed the best of the ACC, B12, P12 you still have that huge gap with the B1G/SEC. But you could create a big gap between the leftovers, MWC, and AAC. IMO it shouldn't be about trying to catch the B1G/SEC but instead trying to kill off and clearly separate from the B12, P12, MWC, AAC. So the B1G/SEC then a P1 then a G7.

Without adding any teams to the ACC, add the PAC 12 to the ACC network for late night programming. They get additional exposure and ESPN gets more eye balls resulting in more revenue for the ACC. I‘m sure the two leagues and ESPN can work something out.

FSU greedy truth is that’s all this is about and it’s basically ruined college sports FSU didn’t start it but ACC doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

There's only 1 solution.

Abandon the football program, and beg the Big East for forgiveness.

You guys like Jalapeno Bacon Mac & Cheese, right.

Dear God Save Me! I feel like I'm in the middle of Hot Tub Time Machine 2 and have been transported back to 2003 when we got cut out of that ACC expansion. Remember those days with the Dude and Frank the Tank? Every imaginable & unworkable super conference - from the All Private Conference to the All Schools Which Begin with an "S" - were proposed. Now, we're at it again!

The simple truth is that we landed in the best conference for us and the energy should be directed towards solidifying the conference and making it a place that flourishes on its own. We have a reasonably geographically based conference composed of solid and prestigious (save maybe one or two) academic institutions that in one way or another cover the major cities of the east coast (with a couple exceptions). We may never compete with the minor league teams that populate the Big (Can't Count Past) 10 or the self-proclaimed SEC-ond to None Conference, but we can establish a brand that can be both entertaining and and succeed.

It's human nature to look to someone else for salvation when that path really begins and ends with us alone.

Peace!

The Acc needs to get its act together quick, i am not super concerned with FSU leaving because the legal costs and GOR are pretty iron clad. If it wasn’t then Clemson and FSU would have already left, furthermore ESPN has already spent a ton on the SEC why would they spend more in order to collapse ACC which they own the rights to for over a decade. It seems there either needs to be unequal revenue sharing which more than half the league would be against or they need to work out a deal to expand and earn more revenue. But they have to be proactive, and not let the Big 12 get their choice first.

The problem is that their media partner, ESPN, is actively undermining the stability of the ACC by paying them so much less than they pay the other leagues who they broadcast.

If ESPN just paid everyone equally, all this instability - which is not any good for the actual athletes - would just go away, and we would have more rational, more regionally-appropriate groups of conferences.

The Acc needs to get its act together quick, i am not super concerned with FSU leaving because the legal costs and GOR are pretty iron clad. If it wasn’t then Clemson and FSU would have already left, furthermore ESPN has already spent a ton on the SEC why would they spend more in order to collapse ACC which they own the rights to for over a decade. It seems there either needs to be unequal revenue sharing which more than half the league would be against or they need to work out a deal to expand and earn more revenue. But they have to be proactive, and not let the Big 12 get their choice first.
Not only that...they have fiduciary responsible for the ACCN...which makes $$

Last edited:
Florida State news is interesting.

When Conference Realignment occurs, generally it is out of the blue when its all but finalized.

This isn’t the case. This tells me this was strategic on 2 fronts:

1- Someone come help us break the GOR. We can’t figure out a way and need all hands on deck.

2- ACC, you better do something now before the PAC signs an agreement and figure out a way to get us more money. We need to see more action out of the commissioners office.

Florida State news is interesting.

When Conference Realignment occurs, generally it is out of the blue when its all but finalized.

This isn’t the case. This tells me this was strategic on 2 fronts:

1- Someone come help us break the GOR. We can’t figure out a way and need all hands on deck.

2- ACC, you better do something now before the PAC signs an agreement and figure out a way to get us more money. We need to see more action out of the commissioners office.
Fair.

C36EA4B1-3039-4B14-9B2D-0B7B129FDEB4.jpeg
All I know is for Syracuse the unequal pay wouldn’t be great, but it would destroy us either. And if the conference breaks up we have value to land maybe Big 12?

View attachment 225403 All I know is for Syracuse the unequal pay wouldn’t be great, but it would destroy us either. And if the conference breaks up we have value to land maybe Big 12?
This would be a great move to mind f the SEC and B1G elite schools who are full of themselves. Alabama would tell Vanderbilt that they want it based on viewership lol. Ohio State would tell Northwestern the same.

Over time, we know these schools will do anything to maintain their egos

View attachment 225403 All I know is for Syracuse the unequal pay wouldn’t be great, but it would destroy us either. And if the conference breaks up we have value to land maybe Big 12?

Thanks for sharing. Assume hoops viewership and ACC network state distribution would have to be taken into account too where we would make up ground and be above 36.1. Bottom 30% would fund the top 15%, not much different than corporate America bonus distribution. That 4 of the bottom 5 are NC which shows why this will be difficult to pass

If the ACC breaks up we should look to create a Northeast conference. No reason to be in a conglomerate.

From the original Big East non B1G/SEC we have Miami, VA Tech, SU, BC, Pitt, WV, UConn, Temple. Add to that Army and Navy for football only to create a 10 team conference. For all other sports add St Johns and Georgetown to allow for 10 teams. That gives you the entire Northeast for both FB and BBall. We have a history with all of these schools and it is easy road trips for fans and player families.

If Miami and/or VA Tech end up in the B1G/SEC then replace them with 1-2 from UCF, USF, ECU, JMU, Duke. I want nothing to do with Wake, Louisville, Cincinnati, Liberty, the B12, or the P12.

Edit

So an example schedule

Football
Year1
Home Pitt, UConn, Navy, Duke
Away WV, BC, Army, Temple, USF

Year 2
Home WV, BC, Army, Temple, USF
Away Pitt, UConn, Navy, Duke

BBall
Both H & A
Pitt, UConn, Duke, WV, BC, Temple, USF, Georgetown, St Johns.

Last edited:
Swofford was more concerned about hooking his son up and giving away media rights that to get out of it he had to sell the farm and sign the contract until 2036 or whatever. This entire issue is Swofford’s fault. And the NC contingent allowed this to happen. Phillips better start making some moves. The guy hasn’t done anything sense he took over. I have been extremely disappointed in his leadership.

Swofford was more concerned about hooking his son up and giving away media rights that to get out of it he had to sell the farm and sign the contract until 2036 or whatever. This entire issue is Swofford’s fault. And the NC contingent allowed this to happen. Phillips better start making some moves. The guy hasn’t done anything sense he took over. I have been extremely disappointed in his leadership.

What issue? What moves?

Swofford's locked FSU and Clemson into the ACC. That is the only thing keeping the ACC as a P3 conference. There is NOTHING that Phillips can do to catch the B1G or SEC. There will always be a big gap. Adding teams for the sake of adding teams does not bring stability. It also won't keep Clemson, FSU, UNC in the ACC past the current deal.

I would LOVE to hear these things the ACC should be doing.

What issue? What moves?

Swofford's locked FSU and Clemson into the ACC. That is the only thing keeping the ACC as a P3 conference. There is NOTHING that Phillips can do to catch the B1G or SEC. There will always be a big gap. Adding teams for the sake of adding teams does not bring stability. It also won't keep Clemson, FSU, UNC in the ACC past the current deal.

I would LOVE to hear these things the ACC should be doing.
The ACC’s only move of relevance is to convince Notre Dame to join as a full-time member. Would love to see them paired with either Vanderbilt or Kansas.

The ACC’s only move of relevance is to convince Notre Dame to join as a full-time member. Would love to see them paired with either Vanderbilt or Kansas.
Personally, I would love to trade Vanderbilt for NC State. ESPN owns the media right for both conferences

Let's say the ACC wanted to get to 18 teams. The best the ACC could do IMO is adding Oregon, BYU, Washington, Stanford.

Adding those 4 teams isn't going to significantly bump up the ACC payout. There still will be a huge gap with the B1G/SEC. So if those conferences came calling you would not see FSU, Clemson, UNC, Oregon, Washington, BYU hesitate to leave.

Also why would Oregon, Washington, BYU, Stanford pay exit fees so they could maybe make $10M more per year but have to travel across the country to play conference games? It isn't worth it.

Here are the candidates for ACC expansion IMO...

Top Markets
1. Temple
2. TCU
3. Stanford
4. Houston
5. Arizona State
6. Washington
7. USF
8. Colorado
9. UCF
10. Oregon

Top Fanbase Sizes IMO (based mainly on attendance)
1. BYU
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. Iowa State
5. Texas Tech
6. West Virginia
7. Oklahoma State
8. Utah
9. Arizona State
10. Kansas State

Top Brands IMO
1. Oregon
2. BYU
3. Washington
4. Oklahoma State
5. Utah
6. TCU
7. West Virginia
8. Kansas
9. Baylor
10. Cincinnati

No combo from that is going to make the ACC TV contract jump significantly.

Last edited:
If the ACC breaks up we should look to create a Northeast conference. No reason to be in a conglomerate.

From the original Big East non B1G/SEC we have Miami, VA Tech, SU, BC, Pitt, WV, UConn, Temple. Add to that Army and Navy for football only to create a 10 team conference. For all other sports add St Johns and Georgetown to allow for 10 teams. That gives you the entire Northeast for both FB and BBall. We have a history with all of these schools and it is easy road trips for fans and player families.

If Miami and/or VA Tech end up in the B1G/SEC then replace them with 1-2 from UCF, USF, ECU, JMU, Duke. I want nothing to do with Wake, Louisville, Cincinnati, Liberty, the B12, or the P12.

Edit

So an example schedule

Football
Year1
Home Pitt, UConn, Navy, Duke
Away WV, BC, Army, Temple, USF

Year 2
Home WV, BC, Army, Temple, USF
Away Pitt, UConn, Navy, Duke

BBall
Both H & A
Pitt, UConn, Duke, WV, BC, Temple, USF, Georgetown, St Johns.

Unfortubately That's a terrible football conference that likely would not have a sniff of any kind of automatic bid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom