ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

i was thinking the same thing lol. ESPN owns the SEC &ACC networks so i was thinking or hoping at least that ESPN would look out for us
Hmmm other than working with the SEC to try to get at least 5/12ths of the SECs gift proposal of an expanded playoff for the SEC

I do not think this has anything to do with merging the conferences. They will still be three separate conferences.
What an alliance would mean is that they would control college football.
If they agreed to only schedule games within the alliance and exclude playing any sec team either in season or bowl games it would cut the sec off at the knees. They would also be incomplete control of how any playoff would be constructed. It would also force ND to join one of the conferences because they could close them out completely.
Probably be the best thing at this time for college sports. It would allow them to eliminate the ncaa.

I do not think this has anything to do with merging the conferences. They will still be three separate conferences.
What an alliance would mean is that they would control college football.
If they agreed to only schedule games within the alliance and exclude playing any sec team either in season or bowl games it would cut the sec off at the knees. They would also be incomplete control of how any playoff would be constructed. It would also force ND to join one of the conferences because they could close them out completely.
Probably be the best thing at this time for college sports. It would allow them to eliminate the ncaa.
Ladies & Gentlemen…aka: The Kaiser Plan.

Thank you very much.

it is the smart move.

the one The Godfather wants…

Not sure what the PAC 12 brings to the table except 10pm games and lots of travel.

If you want to expand and plan for SEC domination I’m all for working with the Big 10 and adding say a Cincy or Memphis over a Washington State or Oregon State.

Heck grab some Big 12 scraps Texas schools like TCU over Cal.

At the end of the day I still say Kansas and Iowa State are announced to the Big10 before the year is over
California is the 6th largest economy in the world and the Pac 12 brings both the LA and Bay Area Markets lock, stock and barrel.

So yeah - it's more desirable than Big 12 leftovers.

File this under: things will happen that none of us will predict.

ALSACs I think you are right about Disney plus. More analysts on street seem to be stressing the end game is the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney will ultimately be packaged together. I didn’t consider the pull them all off cable in the ESPN portion but makes sense.

i wonder how they reconcile the ABC games in that scenario. Do they move more ESPN into abc (even sports center).

Ladies & Gentlemen…aka: The Kaiser Plan.

Thank you very much.

it is the smart move.

the one The Godfather wants…

Dude - again, you were riding my coattails on this. The Kaiser sloppy seconds, day after plan. I talked about this in 3-4 posts the day before you got your internet turned back on.

Yeah ESPN is really paying the ACC a good rate.
Can’t wait for ESPN to throw ACC stuff on ESPN+.

Honestly do you get ESPN basically worked with the ACC to destroy the Big East.
They did the same with the SEC to destroy the Big XII.

Sorry I don’t want to trust an entity that will destroy conferences and will cause change.
This is literally the textbook definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If they vote as a bloc on playoffs and deny the expansion, Texas and Oklahoma moving to SEC becomes kind of pointless. Their move AND an CFP playoff expansion was the long-term double move.
The CFB expansion committee was made up of the SEC commissioner and ND AD along with a few others.

Those 2 were driving the discussions towards expansion. This ESPN-Big XII crap destroyed that.
ESPN won’t get the expansion they wanted and won’t get the extension of rights.

The contract was for 12 years. This is going to be year 8.
ESPN was trying to gobble up a lot more years of this before their plan with the SEC was exposed.
Having the SEC commissioner on the committee was going to help.

Now the CFB won’t expand for 4 years and these rights will go on the market. It means Fox, CBS, NBC, Turner, streaming services anybody can bid on them and they will cost even more.

Espn needs to suffer for the crap they have pulled.

The timing of this announcement about the three league's certainly dovetails nicely with the ESPN "look in" to the ACC contract I am thinking. Hey ESPN you don't want us aligned with the Big and PAC? Hmmm, I think a bump that gets each school up to ~$50mm per should do the trick. Maybe our new ACC Commissioner found some leverage after all?

And I don't trust the B1G anymore than the SEC.
The B1G is not the same B1G.
Jim Delaney was a good commissioner.
Kevin Warren is not.
I don’t trust the Big Ten just because but I sure as hell don’t trust ESPN and SEC.

Dude - again, you were riding my coattails on this. The Kaiser sloppy seconds, day after plan. I talked about this in 3-4 posts the day before you got your internet turned back on.
Too bad.

it’s the Kaiser Plan.

Yes been wanting to get some teams from the pacific coast into the Atlantic coast conference. Finally.

I do wonder if contractual loop holes have been found and conferences can simply disband and reform under new entities to negate current contracts.

B1G Midwest, B1G Atlantic, and B1G Pacific or something of that sort. ACC could name current Big East and AAC teams members as the others depart to still offer product under ACC moniker to fulfill that contract presumably.

The alliance will start out as two things.

A voting block and scheduling. The leagues will vote together and form a majority consensus on playoffs, compliance, NIL, transfer rules ect. The money will come via the scheduling which will feature not only in season match ups but bowl match ups and exclusivity as to non conf games.

Game Set Match.

So good he grabbed Rutgers at the end of the cable box era
Rutgers sucks on the field but they paid for their inclusion into the conference.

NJ has 9 million population.
55% of NJ has cable.
That is 4.95 million.

BTN gets one 1 dollar a month for all cable subscribers by the contract the Big Ten negotiatied under Delaney.
That 5 million dollar a month x12
= 60 million.
So while Rutgers sucks they aren’t losing the Big Ten money.
It’s why the Big Ten took Rutgers over UConn.
Rutgers had more population.
That doesn’t include NYC which Big Ten used YES and Fox to get them a dollar a month there as well.

It’s why Big Ten was somewhat interested in us. NY population would have paid for our inclusion.

One of my all time favorite Syracuse football games was when UCLA visited Arch. As a young kid it was really special seeing a team from California. My all time away game was watching Cuse trounce Michigan in the Big House. National TV and at that time a record crowd. Again special day. I would love to see SU playing Michigan, Ohio State UCLA USC and the other Big and Pac teams. Think it would be fantastic.

Not sure what the PAC 12 brings to the table except 10pm games and lots of travel.

If you want to expand and plan for SEC domination I’m all for working with the Big 10 and adding say a Cincy or Memphis over a Washington State or Oregon State.

Heck grab some Big 12 scraps Texas schools like TCU over Cal.

At the end of the day I still say Kansas and Iowa State are announced to the Big10 before the year is over

If they vote as a bloc on playoffs and deny the expansion, Texas and Oklahoma moving to SEC becomes kind of pointless. Their move AND an CFP playoff expansion was the long-term double move.

It’s definitely about voting as a block. It’s a smart strategic move.
The primary purpose is putting together a voting bloc (40 votes, 41 with ND) to limit what the SEC tries to do. Any extra regular season scheduling and bowl game tie-ins are of secondary importance to not letting the SEC run roughshod over college football. As much as I loved having UVa schedule USC-w, Orygun, and UCLA, our parochial fanbase screamed about not being able to drive to the away games. (Which is why a sizeable chunk of our fanbase wants WVU in the ACC, seriously.) :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom