ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If the ACC breaks up we should look to create a Northeast conference. No reason to be in a conglomerate.

From the original Big East non B1G/SEC we have Miami, VA Tech, SU, BC, Pitt, WV, UConn, Temple. Add to that Army and Navy for football only to create a 10 team conference. For all other sports add St Johns and Georgetown to allow for 10 teams. That gives you the entire Northeast for both FB and BBall. We have a history with all of these schools and it is easy road trips for fans and player families.

If Miami and/or VA Tech end up in the B1G/SEC then replace them with 1-2 from UCF, USF, ECU, JMU, Duke. I want nothing to do with Wake, Louisville, Cincinnati, Liberty, the B12, or the P12.

Edit

So an example schedule

Football
Year1
Home Pitt, UConn, Navy, Duke
Away WV, BC, Army, Temple, USF

Year 2
Home WV, BC, Army, Temple, USF
Away Pitt, UConn, Navy, Duke

BBall
Both H & A
Pitt, UConn, Duke, WV, BC, Temple, USF, Georgetown, St Johns.
Agreed. Saw this on Twitter somewhere. Honestly, the most logical for everyone involved with the exception of Maryland and Rutgers. But something like this would be awesome for all involved.
E5D31608-20DB-4965-B0D0-6A53F02C4FC7.jpeg
356F23D6-FC11-4E89-ABF9-A6A39B3C3A81.jpeg

Unfortubately That's a terrible football conference that likely would not have a sniff of any kind of automatic bid.

First there are no auto bids. Second we are talking the apocalypse. That conference is likely the 4th best. The champ will make the playoffs. Third that is a heck of a BBall conference.

I will trade a little less money to be in a northeast centric conference where our FB and BBall can thrive, we play a round robin schedule in both sports, and we play our traditional rivals. That sounds a lot better than being in a national B12 conference where we play mid level programs and have to fight off 20 other teams.

First there are no auto bids. Second we are talking the apocalypse. That conference is likely the 4th best. The champ will make the playoffs. Third that is a heck of a BBall conference.

I will trade a little less money to be in a northeast centric conference where our FB and BBall can thrive, we play a round robin schedule in both sports, and we play our traditional rivals. That sounds a lot better than being in a national B12 conference where we play mid level programs and have to fight off 20 other teams.
it will be substantially less money like aac range

it will be substantially less money like aac range

Than who? The B1G/SEC? Sure but so will being in the B12. Our choice is a Frankenstein B12 making new P12 type of money or being in a Northeast centric conference making old type of AAC money. Both suck.

Its a pointless argument either way, no way Notre Dame would join, no way Maryland and Rutgers would join, no way would UCF or WVU would join. The money those schools would lose would be enormous. the difference between Big 12 and AAC money is significant and growing larger every year. I miss the old Big East conference as much as anybody but those days are dead, and they are never coming back. The ACC needs to figure out how to add revenue its that difficult and that simple.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN PREACHING!

I think to make it work you would need a 2nd Texas team. Not enough presence there. So add UTSA and one of UNLV/Boise to that so both sides have 14 teams.

That being said this is a short term bandaid. The money will still be well behind the B1G/SEC. Teams will still look to leave.

Also as with the Mikey T proposed Big East and ACC merger, why take on the entire P12? The ACC said hey we only want the good Big East teams, see ya. So if the P12 schools are willing to merge with the ACC, why wouldn't the ACC just take the Top 4-6 P12 options? Why add all those mouths to feed when they do not pull their own weight?

I think to make it work you would need a 2nd Texas team. Not enough presence there. So add UTSA and one of UNLV/Boise to that so both sides have 14 teams.

That being said this is a short term bandaid. The money will still be well behind the B1G/SEC. Teams will still look to leave.

Also as with the Mikey T proposed Big East and ACC merger, why take on the entire P12? The ACC said hey we only want the good Big East teams, see ya. So if the P12 schools are willing to merge with the ACC, why wouldn't the ACC just take the Top 4-6 P12 options? Why add all those mouths to feed when they do not pull their own weight?

I just don't see how logistically it would work with 4 or 6 western teams. WAY too much travel to fill a schedule.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN PREACHING!

I agree. But I think those are the wrong schools to add. I still believe they should add 4 schools. Kansas, Oklahoma St, BYU, Houston.

Pod 1- Oregon, Oregon st, Washington, Washington st

Pod 2- Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona state

Pod 3- Utah, Colorado, Byu, Kansas

Pod 4- Oklahoma st, Houston, Louisville, Pitt?

Pod 5-ACC

Pod 6-ACC

Pod 7-ACC

That would make 7 pods of 4. You play your pod (3) teams. And rotate two other pods a year. That gives you 11 games of inventory. You get threw the entire conference in 3 years. You then schedule 1 out of conference game a year, a layup. Stop scheduling the SEC and Big 10. But you don’t have these cupcake games and every game brings ratings.

Than who? The B1G/SEC? Sure but so will being in the B12. Our choice is a Frankenstein B12 making new P12 type of money or being in a Northeast centric conference making old type of AAC money. Both suck.
any leftover league of pac 12 big 12 and acc teams will make near current rate

Is this Frankenstein conference really that bad? This would be the catastrophic scenario should the SEC and Big Ten raid the best ACC and PAC schools (if Duke and UNC split they will seek Ivy membership)

Nations East
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Wake Forest
UCF

Nations Plains
Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Houston
Baylor
TCU

Nations West
Arizona
Arizona St
California
Oregon St
Washington St
BYU
Utah
Colorado

Last edited:
any leftover league of pac 12 big 12 and acc teams will make near current rate

It wouldn't because the good brands would be gone.

So you rather make maybe $10M more per year (that is a big stretch), have your teams travel across the country, have no shot at making the football playoffs, and put your BBall team at a competitive disadvantage vs the Big East? IMO it isn't worth the chump change.

We are talking about being with the likes of...

B12 West
Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Utah

B12 North
Iowa State, Kansas State, Colorado, Oklahoma State

B12 South
Baylor, TCU, Houston, Texas Tech

B12 East
Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF, Memphis

Sorry but that group of schools isn't making a whole lot of money. So why add to that...

B12 Northeast
WV, Pitt, SU, BC

vs a true Northeast conference playing a round robin schedule?

Is this Frankenstein conference really that bad? This would be the catastrophic scenario should the SEC and Big Ten raid the best ACC and PAC schools (if Duke and UNC split they will seek Ivy membership)

Nations East
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Wake Forest
UCF

Nations Plains
Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Houston
Baylor
TCU

Nations West
Arizona
Arizona St
California
Oregon St
Washington St
BYU
Utah
Colorado

I see 3 separate conferences there. So why not break off and bring in UConn and Temple over Wake? There is no reason to be in that monstrosity.

These Frankenstein conferences especially one that does not include SEC or Big 10 schools would be a financial disaster. At the end of the day for schools that want to compete for with the BIG and SEC is to make between 80-100 million like the BIG and SEC schools are, if you have 24 teams in a conference no way that will ever happen. So when that cant happen you need to form a conference that can make the gap digestible. First no Big 12 school is leaving anytime soon, they in fact are looking to expand further to shorten that gap, the ACC needs to be proactive and see if adding schools such as Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford close the gap to make it worth it. ND is never ever joining the ACC, and as structured ESPN gets some of ND's games, they certainly don't want to risk them going to FOX half time. I think Only 1 of three things can happen

1. ACC does nothing and conference dissolves when GOR expires or when its financially possible for certain schools to pay the fine and leave.
2. Find schools who may add enough value to make it good enough for nobody to leave.
3. unequal revenue sharing and the top teams make significantly more then bottom schools and the bottom schools just eat it.

The new playoff structure ensures that ND remains an independent basically forever. It was a masterstroke by the SEC to keep thm out of the B1G. ND is more than willing to max out in the 5 vs. 12 game if it lets them remain an independent. The money they get from their TV contract plus their pro-rated payment from the ACC for their other sports gives them enough money to do what they want given their large income from ND-branded gear.

The new playoff structure ensures that ND remains an independent basically forever. It was a masterstroke by the SEC to keep thm out of the B1G. ND is more than willing to max out in the 5 vs. 12 game if it lets them remain an independent. The money they get from their TV contract plus their pro-rated payment from the ACC for their other sports gives them enough money to do what they want given their large income from ND-branded gear.
Most importantly, it allows the the facade of competing for championships while not doing enough to win any. It’s a fundraising venture

When the ACC implodes when the GOR expires, it’ll be over for SU FB as far ever being relevant nationally again.

the acc isnt imploding anytime soon, espn has a vested interest in keeping us 3rd
I used to think this. But they really don’t. They have us signed through 2036. They know they don’t have to do anything until that date gets closer. That is 12 years away. Why would they need to do anything for the ACC. It’s already locked in and cheap compared to everyone else. SEC is there baby

I used to think this. But they really don’t. They have us signed through 2036. They know they don’t have to do anything until that date gets closer. That is 12 years away. Why would they need to do anything for the ACC. It’s already locked in and cheap compared to everyone else. SEC is there baby
of the 3 other power 5 conferences they want us 3rd for now, eventually some will go to sec but not for a number of years

The ACC is done. People here are in denial. We need to schedule the B10 more. And make more Midwest friends.

The ACC is done. People here are in denial. We need to schedule the B10 more. And make more Midwest friends.
Eh, maybe. Too many eyeballs on the coasts to abandon the teams there.

The sky is falling but I think no one is safe. Big schools want to be paid more. Just because SEC and BIG are paying highest doesn’t stop their top teams from demanding same unequal payouts at some point.

Why would Ohio st want to subsidize Rutgers forever if Clemson pulls this off? I think we could be seeing the rumblings of an mlb like situation where there is a national tv deal and then a separate valuation for localized tv deal for potentially cupcake games. I fail to see how this won’t impact everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom