ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 93 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If the SEC is sticking with an 8-game schedule and at the same time guaranteeing that every team plays every opponent twice in every 4-year cycle, the setup must be only one regular every-year opponent.

1/7/7. That means playing some traditional opponents only every other year--at home, once in 4 years.

Last edited:
That is so SEC. Going 4-0 and at worst 3 and 1 OOC playing patsies puts them in a great position to have a plethora of teams, not schools mind you, in the Top 25. It reminds of a talented 18 year old playing against average 13 year olds to look cool. So much talent and yet they still have to manipulate the voting $ystem.
If the SEC is sticking with an 8-game schedule and at the same time guaranteeing that every team plays every opponent twice in every 4-year cycle, the setup must be only one regular every-year opponent.

1/7/7. That means playing some traditional opponents only every other year--at home, once in 4 years.

I think this is just a band aid while they continue working on the 9 game schedule for 2025, as the release says 2024 only

I see your point but UConn is a huge turn off for the "football" schools in the ACC and I'm not sure anyone in the PAC moves the needle for them.
The football schools like Florida State and Clemson are trying to fight a fight that they’ve already lost. They need to focus on shoring up the ACC as the third best conference against the Big 12 and PAC 12. The Big 10 and SEC will continue to rake in the most revenue by far. The ACC just needs to do whatever it can to increase the pot to stay ahead of the Big 12 and PAC 12.

Last edited:
The B12 won't get the most valuable P12 schools, so why should the ACC add them? We wouldn't be keeping them away from the B12.

I think the only realistic move the ACC can make is a BBall move. Will the FB schools agree to that? Will ESPN make it worth it? If the ACC added 2 all sport and 3 BBall to get to 16/20 and kill off the Big East, would it add money?

So add UConn, USF (assuming you cannot get Cincy, WV, or UCF), St Johns, Villanova, Georgetown.
A number of college sports reporters have pointed out that any new additions to the ACC don’t necessarily have to net the conference a lot more money. They just need to be a net neutral. The point of expansion is to block the Big 12 from becoming the third best/highest revenue conference and to shore up basketball and football as best we can. This is what a number of administrators in the ACC have been arguing, including during the conference meetings, so it’s not me just saying this. We have to outflank the Big 12 and PAC 12.

A number of college sports reporters have pointed out that any new additions to the ACC don’t necessarily have to net the conference a lot more money. They just need to be a net neutral. The point of expansion is to block the Big 12 from becoming the third best/highest revenue conference and to shore up basketball and football as best we can. This is what a number of administrators in the ACC have been arguing, including during the conference meetings, so it’s not me just saying this. We have to outflank the Big 12 and PAC 12.
its really us or the big 12 as the pac 12 is a zombie walking. If our members stay together we will be safely third, but if there are defections it may end differently. We have to wait for the actual pac 12 deal to close so that the changes can start as they are the schools in the cross hairs this time. Id think by this time next year there will be additional movement as the bigten can't leave usc and ucla on an island out west.

its really us or the big 12 as the pac 12 is a zombie walking. If our members stay together we will be safely third, but if there are defections it may end differently
This is my opinion. Yes, ACC and Big 12 are neck and neck right now. But, ACC hasn't been raided yet; it's even, with Big 12 having lost the teams it was likely to lose.

This is my opinion. Yes, ACC and Big 12 are neck and neck right now. But, ACC hasn't been raided yet; it's even, with Big 12 having lost the teams it was likely to lose.

right now it isnt really even, our contract was so bad in the beginning, it is reported that we are even or slighly behind, but year to year we are slighly ahead especially once the big 12 loses there sweetheart sugar bowl deal with the sec.

Need to grab the only 2 players left on the east coast, USF and Uconn, and see if we can get UCF, and Cincinnati to pull a TCU, and join the ACC instead of the Big 12.
That would effectively make the ACC the 3rd league with a good shot at joining the Big 2.

Need to grab the only 2 players left on the east coast, USF and Uconn, and see if we can get UCF, and Cincinnati to pull a TCU, and join the ACC instead of the Big 12.
That would effectively make the ACC the 3rd league with a good shot at joining the Big 2.
The money isn't there for those type of additions

I’m With you on this. I think they need to be more proactive.

I’m With you on this. I think they need to be more proactive.
As for saying the money isn't there, ESPN needs to protect their investment, which is the ACC.
The more great football, and basketball games produced by the ACC brings money to ESPN.
They also have half interest in the ACC channel.

Add:
UConn, Navy, UCF, USF, Cincy, WVU

Pods:
Pitt, WVU, Cincy, Louisville
Cuse, Navy, UConn, BC
Wake, Duke, UNC, NC State
Clemson, Ga Tech, Va Tech, Virginia
FSU, Miami, UCF, USF

Add:

Pods:
Cuse, Navy, UConn, BC
FSU, Miami, UCF, USF

The ship has sailed on adding UCF, Cincy, WV. The ACC dropped the ball.

FSU wouldn't want to add more Florida schools, even if it is what is best for the conference.

Without divisions we could pull off a 15 team league by adding UConn. If ESPN deems them worth it.

Also the ACC should look into adding St Johns, Villanova, Georgetown. ESPN does not own those assets. Would killing off the Big East from Northeastern BBall and having the ACC dominate that region provide any bump for the rest of the schools?

I think those are the only realistic potential moves. And they might not even be worth doing.

The funniest thing about this ongoing conference expansion thread is its title.

I’m waiting to see a post where we make more money with these scenarios. The whole thing is an internet game of Risk.

I’m waiting to see a post where we make more money with these scenarios. The whole thing is an internet game of Risk.
You really think there’s more money for Syracuse other than the ACC? If the conference explodes in the next 10 years, Syracuse will be looking at a lower pay day than what they’re receiving now. Unfortunately, that’s the reality of conference realignment for a small northern private school not named Notre Dame.

We would need to revisit this thread in 2036.

I'm just curious how the ACC, B1G, Pac-12 alliance is working out. Don't seem to hear much about it these days, except for when I see the title every time I open this thread.

You really think there’s more money for Syracuse other than the ACC? If the conference explodes in the next 10 years, Syracuse will be looking at a lower pay day than what they’re receiving now. Unfortunately, that’s the reality of conference realignment for a small northern private school not named Notre Dame.

No I’m saying adding these scrub schools is a net negative .

We would need to revisit this thread in 2036.

I'm just curious how the ACC, B1G, Pac-12 alliance is working out. Don't seem to hear much about it these days, except for when I see the title every time I open this thread.
Well, Warren (B1G) stabbed the other 2 in the back, then exited, stage left.

I'm just curious how the ACC, B1G, Pac-12 alliance is working out.
Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF

Add:

Pods:
Cuse, Navy, UConn, BC
FSU, Miami, UCF, USF
The ACC already has enough representation in Florida. There is no reason to add UCF and USF. I would not mind adding UConn. I also think that Tulane would be an interesting addition, if for no other reason, fun road trips.

I would live to see a stronger Northeast presence, but there really are not that many attractive teams (I hated the hybrid concept in the Big East and would be disappointed if the ACC adopted basketball only schools). The real problem is that there is not many, if any, attractive options. Current FBS schools in the Northeast not in the ACC:

Maine - None;
New Hampshire - None;
Vermont - None;
Massachusetts - UMass (Indy)
Rhode Island - None;
Connecticut - UConn (Indy);
New York - Army (Indy), SUNY-Buffalo (MAC);
New Jersey - Rutgers (B1G); and
Pennsylvania - Penn State (B1G), Temple (AAC).

I just do not see how Army (or Navy) would really move the needle athletically for the ACC. Out of Buffalo, Temple, or UConn, UConn really is the only school of the three that has some national brand recognition, albeit for basketball.

Adding Cincy and BYU make sense for XII. I am less sold on adding another Texas school in Houston or UCF. But even those schools might make sense. Its discussions with UConn and Gonzaga and whoever looks desperate.

The ACC already has enough representation in Florida. There is no reason to add UCF and USF. I would not mind adding UConn. I also think that Tulane would be an interesting addition, if for no other reason, fun road trips.

I would live to see a stronger Northeast presence, but there really are not that many attractive teams (I hated the hybrid concept in the Big East and would be disappointed if the ACC adopted basketball only schools). The real problem is that there is not many, if any, attractive options. Current FBS schools in the Northeast not in the ACC:

Maine - None;
New Hampshire - None;
Vermont - None;
Massachusetts - UMass (Indy)
Rhode Island - None;
Connecticut - UConn (Indy);
New York - Army (Indy), SUNY-Buffalo (MAC);
New Jersey - Rutgers (B1G); and
Pennsylvania - Penn State (B1G), Temple (AAC).

I just do not see how Army (or Navy) would really move the needle athletically for the ACC. Out of Buffalo, Temple, or UConn, UConn really is the only school of the three that has some national brand recognition, albeit for basketball.

Adding Cincy and BYU make sense for XII. I am less sold on adding another Texas school in Houston or UCF. But even those schools might make sense. Its discussions with UConn and Gonzaga and whoever looks desperate.

Unless you only go to 15, there is no one to pair with UConn that makes both ACC schools and ESPN happy. Memphis is likely the best candidate and they aren't a good choice. ACC dropped the ball IMO on adding one or more of WV, Cincy, UCF. Now they are stuck at 14 until the end of the GOR, while the B12 is gaining steam.

Unless you only go to 15, there is no one to pair with UConn that makes both ACC schools and ESPN happy. Memphis is likely the best candidate and they aren't a good choice. ACC dropped the ball IMO on adding one or more of WV, Cincy, UCF. Now they are stuck at 14 until the end of the GOR, while the B12 is gaining steam.

My suggestion was former SEC football champion Tulane. From an institutional standpoint, it fits much better than Memphis (a private school with very good academics). From an athletics standpoint, it would need to step up though and continue to compete for championships in the watered down AAC and get its basketball up to snuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom