ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 98 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If wishes were fishes...
A lad can dream can’t he?

Unfortunately I think there next target is Virginia and North Carolina in hope that it sufficiently disables the ACC enough to finally bag the last major fish in the pond Notre Dame.

The administration would be dumb not to look at a contingency plan. If the Big 12 wants to expand its Northeast footprint, they could go to Pitt and boom, magnificent 7 becomes 8, and the ACC is no more.

Better Cuse than Pitt, BC.

Pitt would leave the ACC for the B12..... :confused: even if the GOR didn't exist, which it does....:confused::confused::confused:

Syracuse needs to continue to do well on and off the field as an institution. Micron will help as in 10 years the profile of Syracuse and the surrounding areas will be transformed from a dying city to a vibrant tech hub on the east coast. That is going to help. Bottom line is the GOR will hold for a minimum of 10 more years and during that time Syracuse should improve its standing. In addition, I believe that Congress will step in and put some guidelines in place which will also benefit SU. We have to hope for the long game as today we are on the outside looking in. Third place is a good spot to be in considering the alternatives. If the ACC is to make any move it has to be in a merger with the pac. or some arrangement that provides an increase in revenue for the schools. Nothing else short of ND which isn't going to happen will help.

A lad can dream can’t he?

Unfortunately I think there next target is Virginia and North Carolina in hope that it sufficiently disables the ACC enough to finally bag the last major fish in the pond Notre Dame.
UNC would rather be the furthest team north in the SEC than the furthest team south in the B1G.

Syracuse needs to continue to do well on and off the field as an institution. Micron will help as in 10 years the profile of Syracuse and the surrounding areas will be transformed from a dying city to a vibrant tech hub on the east coast. That is going to help. Bottom line is the GOR will hold for a minimum of 10 more years and during that time Syracuse should improve its standing. In addition, I believe that Congress will step in and put some guidelines in place which will also benefit SU. We have to hope for the long game as today we are on the outside looking in. Third place is a good spot to be in considering the alternatives. If the ACC is to make any move it has to be in a merger with the pac. or some arrangement that provides an increase in revenue for the schools. Nothing else short of ND which isn't going to happen will help.
I said before that the SEC and Big 10 better pay attention to the Golf Merger.
Congress is already starting to state Monopoly, and is asking regulators to check closely.
They have also mentioned that the PGA should no longer be tax exempt
If they are doing this with Golf, imagine the Super Conferences, with no representation in most of the state's.

Penn State cannot be happy. They lose the Ohio State home game in 2025 and get stuck with a 2024 home slate of Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, and Wisconsin. That is an awful home schedule. They also have to fly across country in both 2024 and 2025. And they lose a road game in Maryland in 2024 where half the crowd will be their fans.

You would think that the B16 will go to a 3 + 6/6 model. If that is the case then based on the next two years Penn State is looking at USC, Michigan State, and Rutgers.

By team the protected games the next 2 years:

Illinois- Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue
Indiana- Maryland (?), Purdue, Michigan State
Iowa- Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota
Maryland- Rutgers, Indiana (?), Michigan (?)
Michigan- Ohio State, Maryland (?), Michigan State
Michigan State- Indiana, Michigan, Penn State
Minnesota- Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa
Nebraska- Minnesota, Iowa, UCLA
Northwestern- Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State (?)
Ohio State- Michigan, Northwestern (?), Illinois
Penn State- USC, Michigan State, Rutgers
Purdue- Northwestern (?), Illinois, Indiana
Rutgers- Maryland, Penn State, UCLA (?)
UCLA- USC, Nebraska, Rutgers (?)
USC- UCLA, Wisconsin, Penn State (?)
Wisconsin- Minnesota, Iowa, USC

LMAO Ohio State loses Penn State, don't play USC or UCLA annually, and gets Northwestern yearly?

How the heck does Purdue get that? Why give them Northwestern?

USC got screwed big time. They now have Notre Dame, UCLA, Wisconsin, and Penn State yearly.
Northwestern gets to puff up their stats.

A lot of this will depend on how much money TV/streaming will continue to throw into rights. A lot of this happened because of the exponential fee increases. If that money ever changes or gets reduced we could another shift.

FyICuwtXoAAkc4u
Ah yes, the pageantry of Maryland-Rutgers and Nebraska-Iowa. The tradition just oozes.

What I find most interesting is that Penn State, which has been playing in the B1G for 33 years, has no rivalry with any of the other conference teams important enough to protect. Other than the manufactured Rutgers/Maryland rivalry, the other protected games look accurate even if it ignores the quadrangle of hate that is Wisconsin - Minnesota - Iowa - Nebraska.

I wonder if Penn State was presented with a protected game against Rutgers or Maryland and it said "no thanks" to allow it more flexibility to play the other teams in the league.

What I find most interesting is that Penn State, which has been playing in the B1G for 33 years, has no rivalry with any of the other conference teams important enough to protect. Other than the manufactured Rutgers/Maryland rivalry, the other protected games look accurate even if it ignores the quadrangle of hate that is Wisconsin - Minnesota - Iowa - Nebraska.

I wonder if Penn State was presented with a protected game against Rutgers or Maryland and it said "no thanks" to allow it more flexibility to play the other teams in the league.
Makes sense, a manufactured rivalry with Rutgers doesn’t help them in any way.

Penn State has played Ohio State every year starting in 1993. They have played Michigan State all but 2011-13 since 1993. Maryland is their 4th most played opponent all time, and most played team currently in the B16. Two of those games are no longer yearly for Penn State.

If everyone else has protected rivalries, you are left playing the other teams that do not have protected rivalries. So you end up with de facto protected rivalries.

The B16 contract runs for 6 years. They won't be adding any teams until then. So why not make it easy on yourself and go 3 + 6/6 for the next 6 years and then revisit?

Penn State has played Ohio State every year starting in 1993. They have played Michigan State all but 2011-13 since 1993. Maryland is their 4th most played opponent all time, and most played team currently in the B16. Two of those games are no longer yearly for Penn State.

If everyone else has protected rivalries, you are left playing the other teams that do not have protected rivalries. So you end up with de facto protected rivalries.

The B16 contract runs for 6 years. They won't be adding any teams until then. So why not make it easy on yourself and go 3 + 6/6 for the next 6 years and then revisit?
They want freedom to manipulate the schedule to help ensure the B1G gets two teams in the playoffs each year.

They want freedom to manipulate the schedule to help ensure the B1G gets two teams in the playoffs each year.

They didn't do a good job of it then. They could have easily had...

Ohio State play Indiana 2x instead of Northwestern. Indiana would drop Maryland. That would basically be a push for Ohio State.

Penn State plays Maryland 2x instead of USC, who picks up Northwestern. That is easier for both Penn State and USC. It also is better travel for both.

That simple switch would give Penn State and USC a better shot at the CFB Playoff.

No one knows if 8 is all that is required. I've heard more like 10 schools due to NC law. Also would 8-10 improve their lot in life? No one is jumping to go to the B12 and do 8-10 ACC teams have guaranteed landing spots in the SEC and B1G.

Additionally no friggin way IMHO does a FSU or Clemson really want to play most away games north of the Ohio River. They whine like lil babies already playing Cuse and BC.
Penn State needs to leave the Big Ten!
Time to poach them! That conference is a monstrosity.

No one knows if 8 is all that is required. I've heard more like 10 schools due to NC law. Also would 8-10 improve their lot in life? No one is jumping to go to the B12 and do 8-10 ACC teams have guaranteed landing spots in the SEC and B1G.

Additionally no friggin way IMHO does a FSU or Clemson really want to play most away games north of the Ohio River. They whine like lil babies already playing Cuse and BC.
That is the real question. And I expect the answer is a resounding "NO".

If you google this, there are some people saying dissolution requires a 3/4 member approval and others a simple majority.

I would think the people saying it requires a 3/4 majority are correct, given we know this is what is required to approve expansion in the conference. Syracuse fans know this better than anyone.

It would make no sense to set things up so it is far easier to dissolve the conference than to add a member.

If you google this, there are some people saying dissolution requires a 3/4 member approval and others a simple majority.

I would think the people saying it requires a 3/4 majority are correct, given we know this is what is required to approve expansion in the conference. Syracuse fans know this better than anyone.

It would make no sense to set things up so it is far easier to dissolve the conference than to add a member.

Which is why it is more likely to be 12 schools needed rather than 8 schools.

Also ESPN has incentive to keep the ACC together. They have the main ACC assets cheap. Why would they want to double what they pay those assets, or lose some of those assets to the B16/Fox? In ten years they will have no choice, but until then ESPN is better off with the status quo.

If UNC goes to the SEC, one of the Virginias will go with them.

IMO, there wasn't anyone better with this expansion stuff than Alsacs. I recall him saying often, UNC and UVA by far are the two main players, and if when that day ultimately comes and the writing is finally on the wall, they both will be in the same future respective conference.

If FSWho and Clempsun want more $$$, then the solution is simple: win some championships in the next 10 years. The same goes for other schools winning hoops championships.

When ESPN negotiates wth the ACC to extend the current arrangements, $$$ will go up. It will not match $EC amounts, but it will be closer, as well as provide easier access to the CFP... potentially for 2-3 schools per year. Whining for more $$ to get attention is annoying but understandable. Hopefully, it'll be resolved in 8 years or so. If Loserville wants to leave, who cares. Possibly swap them for WVU. If Maryland wants to come back, that's fine too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom