ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 118 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I made a mistake for BBall, as I forgot Notre Dame. If the ACC took 6 PAC schools, that would make 21 ACC BBall teams. So you either need to move to 22 games (2 protected rivals that you play 2x each year instead of 1), or you need a rotation where you play 16 teams only 3x total over 4 years. I would prefer the former and I would think ESPN would as well.

The only thing that makes sense is Notre Dame and West Virginia for the ACC. Having ND, Miami, Clemson, and FSU solidifies things.

Plus with 16 you can do a 3-6-6 schedule for football where Cuse annually plays WVU Pitt and BC.

ND is never coming to join the conference. Not being a jerk but it’s not worth mentioning the value they’d bring. They’ll never join the ACC

I agree with this.

The cable box model is dying, and sports are moving in a different direction with distribution.

The Colorado thing screams Coach Prime wanting to recruit Texas and nothing more than that.

I would have agreed with this until recently and it may still prove to be true long-term. But I know a significant amount of people that have gone back to cable or are considering it. There’s nothing more annoying then having cable and being able to watch almost everything you needed to in one spot. Then leaving cable and especially in the last 6 months, you need 5+ subscriptions to things to get the same content.

So I only point this out, out of long term curiosity. Cable may still die but cutting the cord hasn’t been as easy/great of an idea as some people anticipated, especially if people are watching a wide range of sports and other things.

The ACC is vastly superior to the Big 12 in terms of football product and football powers, plus likeminded highly competitive academic institutions. There’s no contest there. Remember it’s college presidents that make these decisions. Why would any of these schools choose the Big 12? What’s the appeal?

Also, the PAC schools would give the ACC Network valuable product for Pacific time zone TVs and for the 11pm hour during basketball season, etc.
Unfortunately our current Commissioner is as bad as the last one.
He sits on his hands as the World turns around him.
We need a forward thinking Commissioner who wants to improve our product.

Unfortunately our current Commissioner is as bad as the last one.
He sits on his hands as the World turns around him.
We need a forward thinking Commissioner who wants to improve our product.

Guess you didn’t read the article.

Here’s what I want to see. Take the best PAC schools and form a division within an expanded ACC conference. Notre Dame would not be required to join the conference for football, but would be required to play 7 games annually while the rest of the conference plays 10 games.

Let Arizona, Arizona State and UConn go to the big 12 conference. Oregon State and Washington state to the mountain west conference

ACC Conference

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame
Miami

Virginia
Virginia Tech
Duke
North Carolina
NC State

Louisville
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida St

Stanford
Cal
Oregon
Washington
Utah

Last edited:
I feel like SMU would be better for Big 12 than UConn or Memphis. Would create a natural rivalry in DFW with TCU.

I would have agreed with this until recently and it may still prove to be true long-term. But I know a significant amount of people that have gone back to cable or are considering it. There’s nothing more annoying then having cable and being able to watch almost everything you needed to in one spot. Then leaving cable and especially in the last 6 months, you need 5+ subscriptions to things to get the same content.

So I only point this out, out of long term curiosity. Cable may still die but cutting the cord hasn’t been as easy/great of an idea as some people anticipated, especially if people are watching a wide range of sports and other things.

I love my FiOS and always laugh at the cord-cutting threads here and the hoops people go through to attempt to save a few dollars. But that's just me...

Cable subs are dying though (nevermind Direct TV), and the whole Bally's Sports thing with MLB (and the Angels and Nats not being able to sell b/c of suspect TV deals)...so dunno! :)

I think College conferences create a vacuum. Teams leave the BE, and Villanova becomes a powerhouse. Texas and OK leaving for the SEC simply opens the road for sone other B12 team to step up.
WVU after Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East.

Here’s what I want to see. Take the best PAC schools and form a division within an expanded ACC conference. Notre Dame would not be required to join the conference for football, but would be required to play 7 games annually while the rest of the conference plays 10 games.

Let Arizona, Arizona State and UConn go to the big 12 conference. Oregon State and Washington state to the mountain west conference

ACC Conference 4+ (2/2/2)

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame (6+Stanford )
Miami

Virginia
Virginia Tech
Duke
North Carolina
NC State

Louisville
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida St

Stanford
Cal
Oregon
Washington
Utah

Would never happen. Clemson and FSU are not playing 10 ACC games and their SEC rival every year. Also they rather play rotating SEC OOC games than play newly added PAC teams. The conference games need to stay at 8.

Will Phillips and the ACC also be as negligent as the PAC 12 leaders and school presidents in not pursuing expansion and moving aggressively to become the third best conference? The ACC must outflank the Big 12.
Really good pieces from the Athletic:

“Think about just how many things the Pac-12 had to get wrong over those 13 years to arrive at this precarious moment where it may soon be down to just nine members. Think about the fact that just two summers ago, after powers Oklahoma and Texas bolted the Big 12, new commissioner George Kliavkoff and his league presidents felt no need to grab a TCU or Houston when either would have come crawling in a nanosecond.”

Last edited:
What you are missing is that the haves as you call them don't want out. They want more money. If the ACC could add teams that would accept a lower payout than the existing members, it could work. Other than Florida State NC and Virginia i don't see any ACC teams that add value to either the SEC or the Big and that is questionable.
Um Clemson. But no way a big name like Oregon or UW will take less money and those are the names that would move the needle. Even then, Clemson, FSU etc want $80 mil not $45 mil or whatever an increased ACC payout would be

ND is never coming to join the conference. Not being a jerk but it’s not worth mentioning the value they’d bring. They’ll never join the ACC
Yep they will stay independent until at least 2036, then either stay that way or go Big 10

Yep they will stay independent until at least 2036, then either stay that way or go Big 10
I mentioned them in jest. I agree.

The entire reallignment this time around is a game of musical chairs in a nursing home. No one is really winning anything here. Even teams "left out" will move around again. Those who move to the Big 12 ultimately will leave for the BIG/SEC.

it's all a gigantic bag of farts at this point. wake me if the BIG/SEC expand or someone has the ballz to leave the ACC right now. Those would prompt me to lower my monacle.

Otherwise this is all performative nonsense.

Adding Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, Utah, Stanford, and Cal would increase the ACC's avg attendance and increase the gap between the ACC and the B12. The ACC would also be adding 2 FB brands that are better than anything in the B12. On top of that 3 decent FB brands. Decent BBall across the board. Two very good academic schools. Five new states and three pretty big markets. It also gives the opportunity for ACC after dark on ESPN and the ACCN.
Exactly.

And while Oregon, Washington, and Stanford have some hope that perhaps the BT might offer later, the only way even 6 Pac schools can stay together in a Major conference is with the ACC. The 6 you name are, all things considered, the most valuable, with Arizona 7th.

That might be the only move the ACC can make that can solidify us as the clear 3rd wealthiest and powerful league. And we could be as good was any on he fields and courts off any sport, even having a shot to roughly SEC football.

The All Coast Conference idea is brilliant. That would be incredible. And I’d be happy living in PHX.

As an aside - don’t be so sure ASU is coupled with UA. The gap between the two schools is widening considerably. ASU has incredible and visionary leadership. UA is getting left behind in many respects. Just like Tucson is fading (No spring training anymore, stagnant economy, etc.) and PHX rising.

At what point does a conference stop being a conference. To me anything over 16 teams is unmanageable. If every team participates in a conference tournament for hoops or other sports you’re talking 5 days. Dilutes rivalries and familiarity with opponents.

ACC missed its opportunity with Cincinnati. They would have happily joined before the B12 invitation came. Decent sized market with a history for the former Big East members and a built in rivalry in the making with Louisville. Had they been offered you make a run at WVU with several potential backups.
Would have pushed basketball and other sports besides football to 17, but don’t know how to get around the ND conundrum

Arizona draw more fans to games than ASU for football AND more viewers on TV than ASU. Not sure why this myth persists otherwise. Far better get than ASU if you are choosing one (though I doubt they split)

That plus the fact that AZ hoops is by far the best program of the 4 revenue programs.

I still don't think they split in the end tho.

Last edited:
Adding Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, Utah, Stanford, and Cal would increase the ACC's avg attendance and increase the gap between the ACC and the B12. The ACC would also be adding 2 FB brands that are better than anything in the B12. On top of that 3 decent FB brands. Decent BBall across the board. Two very good academic schools. Five new states and three pretty big markets. It also gives the opportunity for ACC after dark on ESPN and the ACCN.
Wonder if there's a way to quantify $ value of ACC after dark because I think that's a real thing.

I think ACC should think outside the box, the goal is to become the 3rd best conference and close the revenue gap of the top 2. My dream scenario would be add UW, Oregon, Stanford and Cal to get into the state of California, then Add Georgetown, St. John’s, Villanova and Gonzaga for Hoops only. Best basketball conference and a huge TV footprint for Football. Pipe dream but would be awesome, ACC basketball tourney back in the Garden.

I think ACC should think outside the box, the goal is to become the 3rd best conference and close the revenue gap of the top 2. My dream scenario would be add UW, Oregon, Stanford and Cal to get into the state of California, then Add Georgetown, St. John’s, Villanova and Gonzaga for Hoops only. Best basketball conference and a huge TV footprint for Football. Pipe dream but would be awesome, ACC basketball tourney back in the Garden.
You want to add all these programs to have a better basketball league but you leave UConn out? Ya got to give the devil his due man.

Arizona draw more fans to games than ASU for football AND more viewers on TV than ASU. Not sure why this myth persists otherwise. Far better get than ASU if you are choosing one (though I doubt they split)

That plus the fact that AZ hoops is by far the best program of the 4 revenue programs.

I still don't think they split in the end tho.

Um, that website says ASU gets 6,651 more per game on a 5 year avg.

Pretty sure I have seen the same for TV, ASU has been higher on avg.

Um, that website says ASU gets 6,651 more per game on a 5 year avg.

Pretty sure I have seen the same for TV, ASU has been higher on avg.
Right but ASU is trending down in both cases.

Either way, they are really very comparable in both. The idea of this massive swell of audience from this massive Phoenix market is fantasy. PHX is a pro sports town. I don't think "market" is the swing factor on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom