ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 182 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

because the teams available didnt move the bottom line significantly and it takes 2 to tengo
Again, it’s not about moving the bottom line significantly. It’s about stability and securing the ACC’s spot as the third best/highest revenue conference. The ACC didn’t/doesn’t need new additions to add significant new revenue. They just need them to maintain the per school payout. The Big 12 extracted a promise from Fox that if they added Colorado, each team will still receive $31 million or whatever in television revenue per year. They’re basically just maintaining the status quo but stabilizing. That’s what the ACC should have done. If the Big 12 could do that with crappy Colorado, the ACC could have done that by adding Washington, Oregon, Utah, Arizona and ASU, etc. UW and UO are very good football brands.

omfg, again, it’s not about moving the bottom line significantly. It’s about stability and securing the ACC’s spot as the third best/highest revenue conference. The ACC didn’t/doesn’t need new additions to add significant new revenue. They just need them to maintain the per school payout. The Big 12 extracted a promise from Fox that if they added Colorado, each team will still receive $31 million or whatever in television revenue. They’re basically just maintaining the status quo but stabilizing. If the Big 12 could do that with crappy Colorado, the ACC could have done that with Washington, Oregon, Utah, Arizona and ASU, etc.
No they couldn’t, OU and UW didn’t want the ACC and the other 4 wanted the Big 12. The end.

Unless the Big 10 wants them. And they are willing to pay $120 million plus forfeit their TV money for 13 years. Besides all that, have fun you whiny we have been good for one year and are now acting like we are Alabama jackasses

If Big 10 takes them they will get the same $30M deal as UW and Oregon. That would be stupid for them to take.

No they couldn’t, OU and UW didn’t want the ACC and the other 4 wanted the Big 12. The end.
No, wrong again. The ACC leadership and our school presidents failed to prepare and act and couldn’t agree on expansion moves, even though they had a year or two to figure it out. The rumors about the Four Corner schools and UW and Oregon have been out there for a year. But the ACC didn’t have a coherent and aggressive expansion plan because they couldn’t agree on a way forward after Texas and Oklahoma bolted the Big 12. That was the time to act, when the Big 12 was down to 8 fairly weak schools. It was certainly the time to act as soon as USC and UCLA announced last summer that they would leave the PAC 12. Big 12 commish Yormark had a vision and executed it perfectly. Our guy Phillips didn’t and sat idly by. And the ACC presidents sat on their hands while all these moves got made. The ACC could have stabilized by taking the Big 12 leftovers and moving into the Midwest or opening up a west coast flank before the Big 12 did. Instead, the ACC leaders did nothing.

Disagree. You have 2 of your oldest rivals in with you (assuming now that Pitt would also be in) You have great academic institutions that will do things the right way. There won’t be scandals with recruits and strippers.

Maybe it isn’t perfect but I like playing in a league with peer institutions at great locations that everyone respects. This league would get good, not great TV revenue and would be very good at Olympic sports.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some public schools that get left out of the Big 2 also end up joining. Maybe UNC and UVA decide they want to do college sports the right way, and make their athletes go to class and graduate.

And who knows, maybe even UConn finally finds a home here.
It sounds like 4 teams may leave,just rumors, but UVA, UNC, Clemson FSU are all wanted by both the B1G and the SEC. So, probably 4 schools brought in to fill the content. Sounds like Stanford, Cal, SMU and I believe our old friends and rivals, UCONN.

Wrong.
No I am not wrong. Why the hell would those teams go to a conference that can’t negotiate a new deal for 13 years instead of a conference that is way closer geographically and has more future flexibility with TV deals? Again, I am not defending Phillips and the school presidents in general but with the exception of Colorado, all of those other schools didn’t even want to leave the PAC 12 until they saw the crappy Apple deal. Except for UW and Oregon who either wanted the Big 10 or wanted to stay

No I am not wrong. Why the hell would those teams go to a conference that can’t negotiate a new deal for 13 years instead of a conference that is way closer geographically and has more future flexibility with TV deals? Again, I am not defending Phillips and the school presidents in general but with the exception of Colorado, all of those other schools didn’t even want to leave the PAC 12 until they saw the crappy Apple deal. Except for UW and Oregon who either wanted the Big 10 or wanted to stay
The ACC pays more.

Washington and Oregon didn’t get a B1G invite till last minute.

Utah and ASU didn’t want the B12 but had no choice.

If the ACC was pushing since USC/UCLA, it may have worked. But we don’t know maybe the ACC was and those schools held out for TV $ hope that never came.

The ACC pays more.

Washington and Oregon didn’t get a B1G invite till last minute.

Utah and ASU didn’t want the B12 but had no choice.

If the ACC was pushing since USC/UCLA, it may have worked. But we don’t know maybe the ACC was and those schools held out for TV $ hope that never came.
They pay more now but when new deals are negotiated they won’t be the case, especially for the Big 10. Again, no one wanted to leave except Colorado and when the Apple deal was revealed then they decided they had to go and in all 5 cases the ACC would have been last on their lists

Wow, I’m at a loss. The ACC is just so inept. I really had high hopes for Phillips. Thought he was a great hire, but the vision of him and the ACC leaders have been abysmal.

You add 2 teams on the West Coast that were left at the curb by the Big10 and Big 12? It made sense if there was a small pod out there with traveling partners. At this point, it makes 0 sense.

People keep saying the schools that went to Big12 and Big10 didn’t want the ACC? Have you been paying attention? The first report of ACC actually meeting to discuss taking 6-7 PAC schools was on Friday afternoon when everyone was already committing to everyone!!!

The ACC once again had no foresight and was behind the 8 ball. Now, they feel desperate and they are going to add teams just to add teams. This will never work. And SMU? This is all a sick joke. SEC adds Texas and Oklahoma. Big10 adds Houston, UC, UCF, BYU. Then Big 10 adds USC, UCLA. Then Big 12 works hard continuously and finally snags Colorado. Big 10 grabs UW and UO when they beg because of the bad contract. So Big 12 then responds and grabs UA, ASU, Utah.

ACC finally decides to call a meeting and discuss expansion. LETS GRAB THE LEFTOVERS!!! 14 teams off the board, now is the time to go fishing!!!!

This is college sports. We aren’t the IVY league. We are not here to celebrate and give money for the acedemic side of things. This isn’t an Academic Decathalon. It’s high major sports and the ACC continues to do things small and slow. This conference is on life support and there is no one to blame but itself and its lack of foresight. Imo the ACC looks even worse with these reports and if they do go ahead and add these teams. It would have been better if they just sat out and said this was the plan, and look to the expand in 2031 when the Big12 contract hits the market. There is a very good chance the Big12 will not sign a good contract. No big time programs and all the networks will be looking to get SEC and Big 10. The money will dry up and the Big12 should be ripe for the picking.

The ACC has two to four or five schools (not counting ND) that would get snapped up quickly by the B1G or $EC in a minute. The Big 12 has no one like that. They’re capped. Comparing the two doesn’t really match up. Even if we took KU and TCU or whoever a year ago our financials don’t change.

The time for the ACC to do something innovative would’ve been years ago when the world was more flat. Get Texas, that type of thing.

They pay more now but when new deals are negotiated they won’t be the case, especially for the Big 10. Again, no one wanted to leave except Colorado and when the Apple deal was revealed then they decided they had to go and in all 5 cases the ACC would have been last on their lists
No one wanted to leave except for Colorado. But guess who kept poking their head around and reaching out to the conference? That’s right, it was the Big 12. They caused enough drama that the PAC started to fall apart. Maybe something the ACC should have worked harder at? The fact that the ACC was finally scheduled to meet Friday night to discuss expansion plans isn’t concerning? They were outplayed and left behind. They were too late to the game.

Have you seen the projections for the ACC? They will be much higher after the year 2026. Big 12 has no flagship programs to hang their hats on. When they come up to needing a new contract everyone will be fighting for Big10 and SEC. They won’t won’t to sign Big12 to a big deal and lose money necessary to bid on these other conferences.

Wow, I’m at a loss. The ACC is just so inept. I really had high hopes for Phillips. Thought he was a great hire, but the vision of him and the ACC leaders have been abysmal.

You add 2 teams on the West Coast that were left at the curb by the Big10 and Big 12? It made sense if there was a small pod out there with traveling partners. At this point, it makes 0 sense.

People keep saying the schools that went to Big12 and Big10 didn’t want the ACC? Have you been paying attention? The first report of ACC actually meeting to discuss taking 6-7 PAC schools was on Friday afternoon when everyone was already committing to everyone!!!

The ACC once again had no foresight and was behind the 8 ball. Now, they feel desperate and they are going to add teams just to add teams. This will never work. And SMU? This is all a sick joke. SEC adds Texas and Oklahoma. Big10 adds Houston, UC, UCF, BYU. Then Big 10 adds USC, UCLA. Then Big 12 works hard continuously and finally snags Colorado. Big 10 grabs UW and UO when they beg because of the bad contract. So Big 12 then responds and grabs UA, ASU, Utah.

ACC finally decides to call a meeting and discuss expansion. LETS GRAB THE LEFTOVERS!!! 14 teams off the board, now is the time to go fishing!!!!

This is college sports. We aren’t the IVY league. We are not here to celebrate and give money for the acedemic side of things. This isn’t an Academic Decathalon. It’s high major sports and the ACC continues to do things small and slow. This conference is on life support and there is no one to blame but itself and its lack of foresight. Imo the ACC looks even worse with these reports and if they do go ahead and add these teams. It would have been better if they just sat out and said this was the plan, and look to the expand in 2031 when the Big12 contract hits the market. There is a very good chance the Big12 will not sign a good contract. No big time programs and all the networks will be looking to get SEC and Big 10. The money will dry up and the Big12 should be ripe for the picking.

ACC reached out after the Colorado news broke, the remaining Pac 12 teams essentially had no interest. Hence the comment from the ASU president about teams from his schools having to travel to Syracuse. The 4 corner schools tried to hold onto the Pac 12 until the bitter end and only left after Oregon and Wash bolted.

Looks like ESPN just grabbed some needed cash flow.
IMG_2083.jpeg

Last edited:
No one wanted to leave except for Colorado. But guess who kept poking their head around and reaching out to the conference? That’s right, it was the Big 12. They caused enough drama that the PAC started to fall apart. Maybe something the ACC should have worked harder at? The fact that the ACC was finally scheduled to meet Friday night to discuss expansion plans isn’t concerning? They were outplayed and left behind. They were too late to the game.

Have you seen the projections for the ACC? They will be much higher after the year 2026. Big 12 has no flagship programs to hang their hats on. When they come up to needing a new contract everyone will be fighting for Big10 and SEC. They won’t won’t to sign Big12 to a big deal and lose money necessary to bid on these other conferences.
The drama was caused by George K and his idiots botching the TV deal. To be clear, I think the ACC is a solid conference right now but I truly believe no matter what, the PAC 12 teams would have only gone to the ACC if they had no other P5 options. What are the ACC projections after 2026 by the way?

ACC reached out after the Colorado news broke, the remaining Pac 12 teams essentially had no interest. Hence the comment from the ASU president about teams from his schools having to travel to Syracuse. The 4 corner schools tried to hold onto the Pac 12 until the bitter end and only left after Oregon and Wash bolted.

I do not remember seeing anything. Where did you see this reported or is this inside information?

Only thing I saw was this on Friday that fired me up because it was already too late.

“The ACC was reportedly considering adding five-to-seven schools from the Pac-12 before the Big Ten and Big 12 swooped in and put the Pac-12 on life support.

Ross Dellinger of Yahoo Sports reported ACC officials "were scheduled to meet" Friday night to further discuss the conference's expansion plans after the Big Ten added Oregon and Washington and the Big 12 accepted Arizona State, Arizona and Utah as new members.”

I did not see any other reports about ACC speaking with PAC teams.

What's about North Dakota St to the ACC? They've been good. Sending guys to the league.

I do not remember seeing anything. Where did you see this reported or is this inside information?

Only thing I saw was this on Friday that fired me up because it was already too late.

“The ACC was reportedly considering adding five-to-seven schools from the Pac-12 before the Big Ten and Big 12 swooped in and put the Pac-12 on life support.

Ross Dellinger of Yahoo Sports reported ACC officials "were scheduled to meet" Friday night to further discuss the conference's expansion plans after the Big Ten added Oregon and Washington and the Big 12 accepted Arizona State, Arizona and Utah as new members.”

There were several tweets and reports that the ACC had reached out prior and kicked around adding different amounts of teams. There was also a comment by I believe the ASU Prez or AD laughing about if he had to send teams to Syracuse.

The reports of the ACC talking with the PAC have been going in for months, plenty of threads here on it. Seemed kinda crazy at the time

Is this bad for FSU?

It sounds bad.

I know I am stupid. But I just looked it up and I still don’t understand what "pro rata" means. Can somebody explain "pro rata" so a dummie like me can understand it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom