ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 201 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

With all of these changes to college sports, many of which are perceived as negative by fans, and the push away from cable and to streaming, it seems like there's a very really chance the bubble bursts in the next decade.

And, by the way, that might actually help Syracuse. Fair weather fans will stop watching and only the most loyal fans will pay for streaming platforms and continue to care/spend money. I believe Cuse has one of the more loyal fanbases, relatively speaking. Super inflated numbers for top football programs would fall because a lot of those numbers are people just tuning in for a big, well-advertised or prime time game. Just a thought -- honestly not sure if I'm correct or not.
Sign me up for what ever streaming service broadcast su sports. It currently is how I determine my streaming service to ensure I get the acc network.
I could care less about any of the other conferences streaming networks unless it’s broadcasting an su game. This will continue in the future.

Gainesville would not allow Florida State to join and they would not get pounded. There are programs right now that they'd beat the breaks off of.
Yeah I am not sure I am ready to anoint FSU is back. Last year they finally played decent again in how long? Put together a few back to back and then sure but one season doesn't mean things are great again.

Yeah I am not sure I am ready to anoint FSU is back. Last year they finally played decent again in how long? Put together a few back to back and then sure but one season doesn't mean things are great again.
It appears that they are clearly using nil and the transfer portal to their advantage. Question is will it be sustainable for them. One simple fix to nil is require all nil deals be reported to the ncaa. If there is a failure to report then bring real sanctions against the school.

So it appears Syracuse is a YES Vote for Cal, Stanford, and SMU

While no official Vote has been taken (because you don't call for a vote unless you know the outcome of it), 4 schools are against it (FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA) and that would shoot this down. So it appears that Cal, Stanford, and SMU to the ACC is DOA

I was also listening to a BIG 10 podcast yesterday and they said when the Big 10 does go to 20, it won't be west coast teams it will be 2 ACC teams. And they said it won't be FSU/Clemson as they are SEC schools, so this would make sense if UNC/UVA have had backroom talks with the Big 10 and there is something brewing there.

A few things:

It really stinks that the four teams that are most likely to bounce first are blocking this expansion.

So they can continue to act in this manner in order to apply pressure to wreck the ACC or try to gain leverage to leave on terms that might be financially viable. But what's most likely is that the GOR will do it's job and we'll be in this marriage of convenience without any change to try to wait and see.

Also, adding those three teams makes those four teams' votes worth less as a % of the conference, so they would have less power.

I'll say a final thing, too - the ACC has been un-serious about become a national player as a conference since they kept their headquarters in North Carolina, even after moving. If they were serious, it would have been in NYC, the conf tourney for bball would have been at MSG as well.

But it's a southern conference that took in other schools to stabilize but didn't have the right leadership or plan to grow to take on the B1G or SEC or whatever, and now we're here.

I know being a Syracuse fan, I don't really have a leg to stand on since they took us in when the ships were sinking. And we have the GOR, which may be long enough to see the ESPN/Fox money start to dry up as the media landscape continues to change which will throw things into another spiral.

At the end of the day, I want to be able to compete for a bball national title and at least have an entertaining football team. We haven't been even outside title contenders since McNabb anyway. I'm used to it.

I want Stanford, Cal (although the need someone to drop a half bill to pay off their debts) and SMU.

I don't think Notre Dame joining the ACC would really change anything. The TV contract would still be well below the B1G/SEC which is what is driving the ACC exit.

The expected new TV contract for ND FB is around $60M. If they joined the ACC wouldn't that at best be valued the same? Which means every school would get around $2M more. Meanwhile ND would get just over half what they do now.

Gainesville would not allow Florida State to join and they would not get pounded. There are programs right now that they'd beat the breaks off of.
They have a top 5 recruiting class coming in, whether that's sustainable or not remains to be seen.

I'm not sure about UF. I get the logic, but you're either an FSU, UF, or Miami fan. There's not a lot of overlap.

Interesting that Duke and UNC are out of alignment. I always considered them a block - akin to Cal/‘Ford and USC/UCLA. Guess not.

Also a little surprised UVA was a no and Miami a yes. I would think UVA would love affiliating with Cal and Stanford.

It definitely is Game of Thrones out there. All so silly. Money, Money, Money. It happened to the Olympics during my lifetime. Now CFB. Naked capitalism - in academia. Silly.

Maybe we will end up with one, 64 team conference - with 4 divisions. Seems like total consolidation is the inevitable result? Mirroring industry? (Can’t advance shareholders interests without endless mergers and acquisitions). But I digress.

Those 4 schools just played their hand. The problem is VT and NCS are laying in the weeds for an SEC invite while Miami is waiting on the Big 10.

Interesting that Duke and UNC are out of alignment. I always considered them a block - akin to Cal/‘Ford and USC/UCLA. Guess not.

Also a little surprised UVA was a no and Miami a yes. I would think UVA would love affiliating with Cal and Stanford.

It definitely is Game of Thrones out there. All so silly. Money, Money, Money. It happened to the Olympics during my lifetime. Now CFB. Naked capitalism - in academia. Silly.

Maybe we will end up with one, 64 team conference - with 4 divisions. Seems like total consolidation is the inevitable result? Mirroring industry? (Can’t advance shareholders interests without endless mergers and acquisitions). But I digress.

Yep...a green wedding this time.

One of our board gurus from Texas (who may have passed on) said on many occasions that the ACC offered Texas the deal that ND got before it was offered to ND.

Hoo’s what’s the scuttlebutt in Charlottesville - you guys gone to the B1G as soon as it’s possible?

The problem with the 64 team conference idea is that it presupposes some governing authority leading that vision. With 3-4 groups just trying to gobble up as much power and money as they can I can’t see the end game being that clean.

I don't really get how $15-20M a year to a state school means more to said state school, than rivalries and FANS and STUDENT ATHELETES. Maybe a private school with more limited resources. Even apparently the King of the conference is ready to sell out. The Carolina Way.

Didn’t the SEC tell Texas A&M they wouldn’t make Texas a member? SEC does what it wants to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom