ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 251 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

They’ve been waiting years/decades for this opportunity and are saying basically a small tailgate can have enough juice to float the program thru 9 figures (granted over 7 years) like most people would throw down to cover beer (I know I’m exaggerating a bit here).

You think they’re all of a sudden going to go short-term now?

No way. First, it’s not breaking them. Second, the conference money will be coming. Third, this is built into their being. This isn’t some investment into a wacky cousin’s gourmet fluff and nutter sandwich shop. This is Gilbert and Sullivan-level sense of duty. And now the stigma is gone. Shackles are off. And they’re in a power conference.

This same donor said (and this noted in the comments), in response to the AAC charging them $18M to leave, “SMU can just tell them to pound sand and leave. We’re leaving. Send us the bill. Hasta la vista.”
We shall see, talk is cheap.

They’ve been waiting years/decades for this opportunity and are saying basically a small tailgate can have enough juice to float the program thru 9 figures (granted over 7 years) like most people would throw down to cover beer (I know I’m exaggerating a bit here).

You think they’re all of a sudden going to go short-term now?

No way. First, it’s not breaking them. Second, the conference money will be coming. Third, this is built into their being. This isn’t some investment into a wacky cousin’s gourmet fluff and nutter sandwich shop. This is Gilbert and Sullivan-level sense of duty. And now the stigma is gone. Shackles are off. And they’re in a power conference.

This same donor said (and this noted in the comments), in response to the AAC charging them $18M to leave, “SMU can just tell them to pound sand and leave. We’re leaving. Send us the bill. Hasta la vista.”
I’d go ham on luring an A-list coach with a crazy offer.

This SMU coming into the ACC reminds of the episode of Seinfeld where the major leagues were going to start playing interleague play and the Yankees first team was going to be the Astros. The Boss makes Costanza the point man to contact the Astros organization. Houston sends up some exec's, probably old SMU frat guys, to New York to meet with George and they go to a bar to begin an exchange and the first thing they say is, "George, do you drink?".
You Stanford son’s of bitches, you Cal bastards

SMU will be a like an NFL Pro team but without the salary cap. Absolutely HUGE money will be thrown at that football program now.
You mean like Texas? All that money really helped them become an NFL pro team.

Would people rather travel a bit more or
Have the ACC conference be dead and buried in a few years when teams consider leaving? I’d give the four that want to consider leaving most
Of the money if they sign another GOR
Past the one currently signed that they aren’t leaving the ACC
I think we are going to travel "a bit more" and still have 4 schools leaving as soon as they can. As I have said I get this move but I think it does nothing to secure the future of the ACC. UNC, FSU and Clemson are leaving as soon as they can.

As I said 100 pages ago, Alabama, Auburn, OSU, Michigan, if they can get $15-20/month out of 2M fans + potential ad revenues, why wouldn't someone pickup that streaming option? 120M ea. for football in just subscription fees, ad revenues that could account for another 3/4 per sub to pay for maintenance costs/announcers? It is attractive at the top, it becomes less so as you work your way down the chain.

I think we are going to travel "a bit more" and still have 4 schools leaving as soon as they can. As I have said I get this move but I think it does nothing to secure the future of the ACC. UNC, FSU and Clemson are leaving as soon as they can.

Wouldn't them leaving (exit fees) be enough to make up TV or the like losses for many years?

edit: 3 teams leave and have a 3/5 compromise thus 300 mill each?

Last edited:
There’s one direct each way, every day. I use it for my family fairly regularly. It’s an early flight down, and an evening flight back up north. It’s a really nice flight actually.

Hopefully if this goes through they add one more because it'll be tougher for people like you to get tickets if teams are travelling, correct?

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF
To bring this thread full circle... apparently the "alliance" between the ACC, Pac 12 and B1G is that the B1G and ACC will acquire six Pac 12 teams.

Good work, everyone.

Wasn’t sure about this when it was first reported but getting into Texas and California for media and recruiting helps. Another personal positive is that living on the west coast it gives me more opportunities to go to games. I try to get back to Syracuse once a year. With adding teams in Texas and California I can watch 2 possibly 3 games a year in person. Never miss a game on tv.

Hopefully if this goes through they add one more because it'll be tougher for people like you to get tickets if teams are travelling, correct?
I would hope, but I don’t know. This flight is never booked up very far out. And it’s usually, astonishingly enough, cheaper to fly (nonstop) than it is to buy many others with connections. I would assume the increase in travel between the two cities may cause American to look at another flight, or maybe another airline to start one. But I also have no idea how many gates Hancock has available or whether it makes business sense to stop another connection to make a new one from SYR to DAL.

Changing topics, after living on the west coast and now Texas, I’d selfishly love to be able to watch a local Cuse game with my kids.

You mean like Texas? All that money really helped them become an NFL pro team.
All of that money will make SMU very competitive in the ACC. They will buy players, coaches, and facilities that we can only dream of unfortunately. NIL changes the game and brings back the old SWC way but legally now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom