ACC Schedule Talk | Syracusefan.com

ACC Schedule Talk

Very good article...sounds like he'll be a Yes for MSG for hoops...despite his political answer. The VTech fans really don't remember MSG (think they went once for a cup of coffee) but he remembers it from Cincy.

The ACC would be 9 games already save for the Notre Dame issue.

He mentions the ACC network and Olympic sports. ESPN3 is going to start doing SU Olympic sports next fall, produced by Newhouse students.
Nice!

Thanks Orangeyes! That was a good read. I think he sums up the pros and cons of a nine game schedule. I like the thought of an eight game plus one with the SEC.

He mentions the ACC network and Olympic sports. ESPN3 is going to start doing SU Olympic sports next fall, produced by Newhouse students.

Always wondered why SU didn't "employ" it's broadcast students to get more of it's Olympic sports on the airwaves. They already are doing broadcast quality material daily in class and it helps the school and the resume of these students.

Always wondered why SU didn't "employ" it's broadcast students to get more of it's Olympic sports on the airwaves. They already are doing broadcast quality material daily in class and it helps the school and the resume of these students.
For me, this is the biggest perk of a conference-owned network.

Spending a lot of time in Cincy I heard a lot about him on the sports radio stations, etc. I think he is a very smart man and will do a great job at VT.

I remember the CUSE game at Cincy a couple of years back and he was walking through the upper decks talking to the fans. Have you guys ever seen DG to do this?

I think VT found a winner in Whit.

Maybe at a private school DG has to grease the wheels of the donors.

Spending a lot of time in Cincy I heard a lot about him on the sports radio stations, etc. I think he is a very smart man and will do a great job at VT.

I remember the CUSE game at Cincy a couple of years back and he was walking through the upper decks talking to the fans. Have you guys ever seen DG to do this?

I think VT found a winner in Whit.
I've spoken with Doc Gross numerous times. He's always willing to talk to fans.

The VMI may have folksy charm but I'll take the CEO success Gross has had and is having running a hell of a sports program at SU.

Can't click the link, what else did this AD say about the scheduling? I don't like the SEC idea but I understand the need for it due to FSU/Clemson/Louisville and GT's rivals there.

I watch a lot of streaming video of Clemson Baseball games. A lot of them are produced right there on campus and
the picture quality is pretty amazing. I'm sure this sort of thing is in place at most of the schools in the league. It bodes
well for the future of the ACC network.

I watch a lot of streaming video of Clemson Baseball games. A lot of them are produced right there on campus and
the picture quality is pretty amazing. I'm sure this sort of thing is in place at most of the schools in the league. It bodes
well for the future of the ACC network.
Just curious why Clemson has no softball team?

Probably because they have Golf. And although they have phased out swim they still have diving.
Duke & Miami are the other two that don't have it. Guess we shouldn't feel ashamed to be the only non baseball playing member.

Duke & Miami are the other two that don't have it. Guess we shouldn't feel ashamed to be the only non baseball playing member.

Wake doesn't have softball either. They have Golf also. Tiger Woods niece played on the team.

SU has 7 mens sports and 11 womens for a total of 18 vs Dukes 13 men's & 14 women's for a total of 27 sports

Over the years we have dropped 10 sports baseball, boxing, men's golf, men's gymnastics, rifle, swimming & diving, men's tennis, water polo & wrestling.

I've spoken with Doc Gross numerous times. He's always willing to talk to fans.

Talk to fans yes Dr Gross will but the only time I have been up close to him is in or near the VIP area(s). Upper deck for Dr Gross isn't happening.

I think Dr Gross is a good man and doing a solid job (minus GRob) but he isn't at the level I saw from Whit Babcock at UC and maybe he doesn't need to be. I would say we are on a lot more solid footing than UC and don't need to shake as many hands and kiss as many babies to get fans to support the program.

We finally got around to adding women's golf this year and we added women's rowing 7 or 8 years ago. Think they were looking to add sports to help with title 9 that were relatively inexpensive. We already have a golf course on campus and we have a lake. Softball would likely take a million dollar investment for facilities and I don't see them spending this kind of money. Locating a field in the current athletic complex would be difficult.

We finally got around to adding women's golf this year and we added women's rowing 7 or 8 years ago. Think they were looking to add sports to help with title 9 that were relatively inexpensive. We already have a golf course on campus and we have a lake. Softball would likely take a million dollar investment for facilities and I don't see them spending this kind of money. Locating a field in the current athletic complex would be difficult.

Rowing is "football for girls". It has the most scholarships (20) of any women's sport, is allowed to have partial scholarships (unlike bball), and usually has about 40 on the roster (usually more than any other sport). It's the biggest counterweight to football's 85 schollies.

ACC needs to learn not to schedule Syracuse for a Friday night football game on Yom Kippur. Hope that's a one-time mistake.

Orangeyes said:
SU has 7 mens sports and 11 womens for a total of 18 vs Dukes 13 men's & 14 women's for a total of 27 sports Over the years we have dropped 10 sports baseball, boxing, men's golf, men's gymnastics, rifle, swimming & diving, men's tennis, water polo & wrestling.

We had a water polo team? Good lord what for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom