ACC Schedule !!!!! | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Schedule !!!!!

I might be in the minority but I enjoyed Dr Gross’ philosophy on scheduling. To be the best you want to play the best. I don’t understand playing Liberty and Holy Cross. This does nothing for us and gains us zero respect.

everyone not named Notre Dame does it, we sure as hell should too. no one remembers the rough and tumble OOC schedules that Gross set up for us, they remember us sucking. we should always play an FCS, a tomato can FBS, a half decent MAC type FBS, and then the level of P5 we schedule should be based on how the program is doing at the time. if we continue winning 8-10 games a year the next couple of years, I am ok with ramping up our OOC P5 opponent from the likes of Rutgers, but we don't need to ramp it up to Alabama or someone of that ilk.

It was a different time then if you had NC aspirations though. The idea now is to make the playoff, you can have your marquee memory games then.

Yep, that, and the money's changed. In 1995, a big gate for a marquee non-conference opponent would make up a much bigger percentage of the program's revenue than it would now. And it's also my understanding that the athletic department had complete control over scheduling; in 2019, if it's not entirely coach-driven, he at least has a strong voice at the table. And he's looking for the easiest path to the playoff, as you note.

I might be in the minority but I enjoyed Dr Gross’ philosophy on scheduling. To be the best you want to play the best. I don’t understand playing Liberty and Holy Cross. This does nothing for us and gains us zero respect.

We play the best. Clemson was the UNDEFEATED NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.
We play them EVERY. DAMN. YEAR.

2-0 in those 2 OOC games "does nothing for us"? :rolleyes:
You, like Forrest Gump, are not a very smart ma-an. ;)

DOCTOR Gross was a moron when it came to football.
Point blank, period.

If you find yourself agreeing with the actions of a moron, then...
you might be a moron.
(HT to Jeff Foxworthy)

Unless you have elite talent every year or don’t play in the P5 you really only need one tough nonconference game.
One is always going to be the 1-AA school.
The other two should be MAC/lower D-1 schools.
If we have an elite talent then fine but with ND every 3 years they will be the second hard OOC game every 3 years.
Playing Purdue/Rutgers/Kansas/Maryland type teams as our P5 school is smart.
You get no credit for losses when you are Syracuse.

Three consecutive Saturdays without a game. October 5, 12,19.

It kind of works out, actually, because we have an extra day to prepare for both the 12th and the 19th.

Senior Day against Wake? Guess they decided the BC rivalry thing could be tossed out the window.

Eh, Clemson on the 14th is kind of dumb. I'm glad they gave us a bye for the second week of November.

Clemson is replacing most of their defensive line. Our offensive line will still be getting the kinks worked out. DeVito will have a couple games under his belt. This could work out.

I would have preferred getting Florida State early, before they likely get their act together, but there's a lot to like about the way the schedule set up.

Five games then a bye, four games then another bye, then close with 3 games. Not bad from an injury recovery perspective.

Eh. Not really impressed. I know a couple of these things couldn’t be avoided and we already knew about them, but they contribute to a blah schedule.

@Liberty is stupid
Having only 6 home games is stupid
Clemson in wk 3 sucks
Clemson in wk 3 sell out heat sucks
Ending with Wake instead of BC or Pitt is stupid
Thursday night games are stupid

Dome construction, right?
I'm not a fan of weeknight games, either, but this seems about best possible case with extra days of prep the way they are lined up.

Clemson is replacing most of their defensive line. Our offensive line will still be getting the kinks worked out. DeVito will have a couple games under his belt. This could work out.

I would have preferred getting Florida State early, before they likely get their act together, but there's a lot to like about the way the schedule set up.

Five games then a bye, four games then another bye, then close with 3 games. Not bad from an injury recovery perspective.

if FSU were coming to the Dome this year, then I definitely would have wanted them in week 3, but no way did I want us starting the season out with 3 straight road games

if FSU were coming to the Dome this year, then I definitely would have wanted them in week 3, but no way did I want us starting the season out with 3 straight road games

Yep. Good point.

everyone not named Notre Dame does it, we sure as hell should too. no one remembers the rough and tumble OOC schedules that Gross set up for us, they remember us sucking. we should always play an FCS, a tomato can FBS, a half decent MAC type FBS, and then the level of P5 we schedule should be based on how the program is doing at the time. if we continue winning 8-10 games a year the next couple of years, I am ok with ramping up our OOC P5 opponent from the likes of Rutgers, but we don't need to ramp it up to Alabama or someone of that ilk.

The only time we should play Bama, Texas, etc...is one of those special made for TV games the first weekend. I'm fine getting one of those becuase that meant we have reemerged as a national program like the late 80s through 2001.

I disagree with rrlbees on @Liberty. We get two home games in return. The only bad thing is @Liberty and @Maryland are back to back weekends. Would be better to play them in different years although the Dome project might have played into that scheduling decision.

Last edited:
Next year could be our moment. FSU down and likely only one ranked team on the slate (albeit the biggest, baddest ranked team on the planet.)

If we can somehow upset Clemson....and run the table. And Clemson goes 11-1 (with a win over a hopefully top 10 A&M - by end of year)....

How fantastic would it be to have 2 ACC teams in? (Nice to dream in January)

What exactly is being upgraded at the dome in the first two weeks that requires us to have two road games?

They are doing much prep work this year. Delaying the home opener by two weeks buys you two more weeks of good construction weather.
Makes sense. And here I was hoping for some fancy new stuff to show off for the Clemson game;)

What exactly is being upgraded at the dome in the first two weeks that requires us to have two road games?

I think I recall hearing that they are starting the exterior construction in May, and then going through Sept. They need the exterior work to support the new roof, if I recall correctly.

Do you think we're more respected now after a 10-3 season or after a mediocre season losing to good teams?

Last edited:
I think I recall hearing that they are starting the exterior construction in May, and then going through Sept. They need the exterior work to support the new roof, if I recall correctly.
I have a feeling they'll work into November doing stuff that doesn't affect things too much. Exciting times to be Orange fans.

you are in minority. With our conference wins are the only thing that matter.

Agree, a bit dramatic thinking missing a HS game one Friday out of the year will affect recruiting. give me a friggin break.
I think a lot of college coaches are against Friday night games on principle. Friday is for HS, Saturday for college, Sunday for pro. And you don't want to damage high school football--that's like eating your seed corn.

we will win no less than 8 games (if healthy) and as many as 11 regular season games . Playing liberty first gives us a chance to iron out some things, improve going into Maryland (which is a must win) and than with confidence , hopefully early season health , and a packed loud home opener at the Dome ,we play over our heads, get the bounces, calls, and a couple turn overs …. but make no mistake about it , Clemson will WANT us this game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom