ACC Scheduling | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Scheduling

As it stands now, we are going to be playing Notre Dame way more often then the teams in the Coastal that are in our conference. I think most ACC fans would rather play teams in our conference than the special exception case who gets to have their cake and eat it to. This arrangement started with the Big East and has continued with the ACC and was insulting then and still is now.
What you just said is patently false.
Every single ACC team Coastal and Atlantic will play the same except 4 teams overall will get an extra game.

As it stands now, we are going to be playing Notre Dame way more often then the teams in the Coastal that are in our conference. I think most ACC fans would rather play teams in our conference than the special exception case who gets to have their cake and eat it to. This arrangement started with the Big East and has continued with the ACC and was insulting then and still is now.

Respectfully, you have no point. FSU will play UF more, Clemson will play USC, GATech will play UGA and Louisville will play Kentucky way more than anyone will play ND.

Add to that, Pitt gave up playing ND 8 of 10 years and BC gave up playing ND regularly, too. Life changes, we have to adapt. Playing ND every 3 years is part of the deal, most schools would die to have that problem.

There are many ways to fix problems, not just salvaging the old Big East football conference. Besides, I like more of the ACC schools than I do the old Big East schools that we don't play anymore. REgardless, we will not get PEdState and WVU back, and those two, along with Pitt are our longest histories. Too often people forget that Rutgers and SU played each other about 20 times prior to the Big East conference. Even the BC game was not as popular (played as often) as people want to imagine (though the annual games in the BE did raise some interest).

We are where we are at for now. If you want the old northeast schools together, start a bandwagon to place all football schools under one contract and then work towards realingment. Regardless, stop lamenting ND not joining the BE in football. Not only has that ship sailed, it wasn't a ship, just row boat fantasized by several schools that dreamed of hitting it big after having no history (UConn, UCF, USF, Rutgers). Time to move on.

"Absent Notre Dame, there might not well be an ACC Network. Its name was a driving force in ESPN exploring the project, a development that quickly led to the conference’s 2013 grant of media rights, which bound members to the league through 2027 – the grant has since been extended through 2036."

"Also understand that since the Irish began ACC competition in 2013-14, the conference’s guaranteed television revenue has increased 48.6 percent, from $146.6 million to $217.9 million. Not all of that is attributable to Notre Dame, but its presence sure helped.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-bl...-post.html
Just stop with this crap.
Football is what drives college networks.
ND home football games are controlled by NBC.
2/3 ND road games aren’t driving the ACC network.
ABC/ESPN will still want most of these games on their network. The ACC Network May get 1 ND road game a year.
Stop the BS spin.
Clemson/Florida State are driving the ACCN along with elite hoops games and ESPN muscle.
The GOR HAD ZERO to do with ND.
It was ACC and ESPN making a deal and the schools the Big Ten was approaching ending speculation.
The ACC made ND sign a deal because they saw their verbal agreement with the Big East meant nothing and they weren’t going to get caught flat footed by ND.

ND is doing very little and the least of any ACC school since it’s home games won’t be controlled by the network and football home games will get the highest ratings.

Last edited:
Respectfully, you have no point. FSU will play UF more, Clemson will play USC, GATech will play UGA and Louisville will play Kentucky way more than anyone will play ND.

Add to that, Pitt gave up playing ND 8 of 10 years and BC gave up playing ND regularly, too. Life changes, we have to adapt. Playing ND every 3 years is part of the deal, most schools would die to have that problem.

There are many ways to fix problems, not just salvaging the old Big East football conference. Besides, I like more of the ACC schools than I do the old Big East schools that we don't play anymore. REgardless, we will not get PEdState and WVU back, and those two, along with Pitt are our longest histories. Too often people forget that Rutgers and SU played each other about 20 times prior to the Big East conference. Even the BC game was not as popular (played as often) as people want to imagine (though the annual games in the BE did raise some interest).

We are where we are at for now. If you want the old northeast schools together, start a bandwagon to place all football schools under one contract and then work towards realingment. Regardless, stop lamenting ND not joining the BE in football. Not only has that ship sailed, it wasn't a ship, just row boat fantasized by several schools that dreamed of hitting it big after having no history (UConn, UCF, USF, Rutgers). Time to move on.
I no longer care about them joining the Big East, it's the ACC I want them to join. And if they don't want to I would be happy if they went to the Big12 and they can keep their money, which is what they are all about anyways.

I no longer care about them joining the Big East, it's the ACC I want them to join. And if they don't want to I would be happy if they went to the Big12 and they can keep their money, which is what they are all about anyways.
Until Baby boomers die off ND is never joining a conference it’s not even worth discussing.
To be honest I don’t want them ever in the ACC. They aren’t worth it.

ND at your stadium usually means a full house.
We didn’t sell out the last time ND came to the Dome in 2003.
They are parasites who use their hosts to maintain their preferred status quo.
They want nothing to do with the Big Ten.

Just stop with this crap.
Football is what drives college networks.
ND home football games are controlled by NBC.
2/3 ND road games aren’t driving the ACC network.
ABC/ESPN will still want most of these games on their network. The ACC Network May get 1 ND road game a year.
Stop the BS spin.
Clemson/Florida State are driving the ACCN along with elite hoops games and ESPN muscle.
The GOR HAD ZERO to do with ND.
It was ACC and ESPN making a deal and the schools the Big Ten was approaching ending speculation.
The ACC made ND sign a deal because they saw their verbal agreement with the Big East meant nothing and they weren’t going to get caught flat footed by ND.

ND is doing very little and the least of any ACC school since it’s home games won’t be controlled by the network and football home games will get the highest ratings.

I didn't write the damn article. ND helped stabilize the ACC, it was ripe for plucking in 2012.

No spin, fact. Take care.

"Notre Dame brought most of its portfolio to the conference, with one oversized exception. Coveting their longstanding football independence, the Irish resisted full-time membership and agreed to play, on average, five football games each season against rotating ACC opponents.

Some ACC fans and media resent the arrangement, viewing it as one-sided with Notre Dame gaining access to the conference’s bowl partnerships, revenue and unsurpassed men’s basketball. But the truth is, the Irish have brought plenty to the ACC, even in football.

Look at Saturday. ABC is airing the game at 8 p.m., the network’s most prestigious window, with its top announcing team of Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and Maria Taylor.

Notre Dame’s prime-time contests at Florida State in 2014, Clemson in 2015 and Miami last season were even more high-profile, clashes of top-15 squads with national-championship aspirations. Indeed, victories over the Irish helped the 2014 Seminoles and 2015 Tigers reach the College Football Playoff.
The Irish’s other teams have been a boon to the ACC, too. They have won national championships in fencing, men’s soccer and, most indelibly, women’s basketball — take a bow, Arike Ogunbowale. They have reached two NCAA Elite Eights in men’s basketball.

Which makes for a convenient segue to money.

The ACC’s most recent tax records, through fiscal 2016-17, show that Notre Dame received $21.2 million in league revenue during its first four years of membership, a modest annual average of $5.3 million.
Meanwhile, the conference’s average distribution to its 14 full-time members was $95.9 million, $24 million annually, more than four times the Irish’s share.

Still, Notre Dame costs the ACC money, right? Au contraire.

Notre Dame makes the ACC money."

Game at VT affirms assets Notre Dame brings to ACC

Last edited:

Unless a P4, champs only playoff happens, ND football is not going to join the ACC.

People need to accept that fact. Its current status with the ACC is legally set in concrete until 2036.

What you just said is patently false.
Every single ACC team Coastal and Atlantic will play the same except 4 teams overall will get an extra game.
Syracuse will only play the Coastal teams, other than Pitt, 3 times every 2 decades. I believe we play ND more than that, which seems kind of not smart. It almost seems that we aren't even in the same conference and if that's the case, the divisions should go to old time familiar teams.

I didn't write the damn article. ND helped stabilize the ACC, it was ripe for plucking in 2012.

No spin, fact. Take care.

"Notre Dame brought most of its portfolio to the conference, with one oversized exception. Coveting their longstanding football independence, the Irish resisted full-time membership and agreed to play, on average, five football games each season against rotating ACC opponents.

Some ACC fans and media resent the arrangement, viewing it as one-sided with Notre Dame gaining access to the conference’s bowl partnerships, revenue and unsurpassed men’s basketball. But the truth is, the Irish have brought plenty to the ACC, even in football.

Look at Saturday. ABC is airing the game at 8 p.m., the network’s most prestigious window, with its top announcing team of Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and Maria Taylor.

Notre Dame’s prime-time contests at Florida State in 2014, Clemson in 2015 and Miami last season were even more high-profile, clashes of top-15 squads with national-championship aspirations. Indeed, victories over the Irish helped the 2014 Seminoles and 2015 Tigers reach the College Football Playoff.
The Irish’s other teams have been a boon to the ACC, too. They have won national championships in fencing, men’s soccer and, most indelibly, women’s basketball — take a bow, Arike Ogunbowale. They have reached two NCAA Elite Eights in men’s basketball.

Which makes for a convenient segue to money.

The ACC’s most recent tax records, through fiscal 2016-17, show that Notre Dame received $21.2 million in league revenue during its first four years of membership, a modest annual average of $5.3 million.
Meanwhile, the conference’s average distribution to its 14 full-time members was $95.9 million, $24 million annually, more than four times the Irish’s share.

Still, Notre Dame costs the ACC money, right? Au contraire.

Notre Dame makes the ACC money."

Game at VT affirms assets Notre Dame brings to ACC
Notre Dame doesn’t do squat for the ACC Network.
Teel writes what his ACC sources tell him. He isn’t going write anything that the conference doesn’t want out.
ND isn’t helping make the conference anymore money. Stop flattering yourself.
The ACC renegotiated with ESPN after the GOR was signed. The conference got balloon payments put into the contract and gave the ESPN a longer term deal.
ND had nothing to do with that.
ND had nothing to with the GOR.
It was UNC and UVA committing to the ACC and telling the Big Ten to pound sand.
Plus Florida State and Clemson got Louisville over UConn and got another football school in.
ND had nothing to do with this.
ND resigned with NBC thru 2025.
NBC isn’t helping the ACCN it’s a partnership is with NBC.
I get what your about. Be positive about your school but I won’t let spin go. The ACC would be fine if ND wasn’t affiliated with the conference.
Those games you cite are good but ND has to play 12 games as an independent having 5 games scheduled for them helps them just as much as the conference. Go play more Big Ten schools it’s fine.

Notre Dame doesn’t do squat for the ACC Network.
Teel writes what his ACC sources tell him. He isn’t going write anything that the conference doesn’t want out.
ND isn’t helping make the conference anymore money. Stop flattering yourself.
The ACC renegotiated with ESPN after the GOR was signed. The conference got balloon payments put into the contract and gave the ESPN a longer term deal.
ND had nothing to do with that.
ND had nothing to with the GOR.
It was UNC and UVA committing to the ACC and telling the Big Ten to pound sand.
Plus Florida State and Clemson got Louisville over UConn and got another football school in.
ND had nothing to do with this.
ND resigned with NBC thru 2025.
NBC isn’t helping the ACCN it’s a partnership is with NBC.
I get what your about. Be positive about your school but I won’t let spin go. The ACC would be fine if ND wasn’t affiliated with the conference.
Those games you cite are good but ND has to play 12 games as an independent having 5 games scheduled for them helps them just as much as the conference. Go play more Big Ten schools it’s fine.

ND got a full share of the ACC Network profits because the ACC is going to market the hell out of the Irish.

Everyone associated with the ACC believes as Teel wrote, but you know better.

Your anti-Irish bias clouds your view at times.

Syracuse will only play the Coastal teams, other than Pitt, 3 times every 2 decades. I believe we play ND more than that, which seems kind of not smart. It almost seems that we aren't even in the same conference and if that's the case, the divisions should go to old time familiar teams.

the coastal division teams have no interest in changing divisions so its either status quo or get the 355 passed

Last edited:
ND got a full share of the ACC Network profits because the ACC is going to market the hell out of the Irish.

Everyone associated with the ACC believes as Teel wrote, but you know better.

Your anti-Irish bias clouds your view at times.
IIRC the ACCN money that was discussed there doesn’t include footbal money, which is under a separate contract. ND has a full slate of Olympic sports teams which will appear on the ACCN, so they get and deserve a full share of ACCN money.

Fixing the ACC starts by eliminating the fixed crossover rival. Then move FSU to Miami’s division so they play each other every year.

I couldn’t care less about protecting some stupid rivalry between NCSU and UNC

Fixing the ACC starts by eliminating the fixed crossover rival. Then move FSU to Miami’s division so they play each other every year.

This will never happen. When the divisions were created they were done to basically give every school a game in NC and FL every year.
The solutions are to go 3+5+5 or maintain the status quo.

This will never happen. When the divisions were created they were done to basically give every school a game in NC and FL every year.
The crossover rival is pointless and is the main reason it takes a dozen years to cycle through a home and home with half the teams in the conference.

The crossover rival is pointless and is the main reason it takes a dozen years to cycle through a home and home with half the teams in the conference.
It’s not pointless.
Clemson-Ga. Tech have a long time rivalry.
Same for UNC-NCSU, Duke-Wake, and Miami-FSU.
Only ones that aren’t necessary are UVA-UL, BC-VPI, SU-Pitt.

It’s not pointless.
Clemson-Ga. Tech have a long time rivalry.
Same for UNC-NCSU, Duke-Wake, and Miami-FSU.
Only ones that aren’t necessary are UVA-UL, BC-VPI, SU-Pitt.
Duke-Wake??

Sorry, if that’s one of your examples you’re further proving my point.

Exactly, the solution is going without divisions with a 3-5-5 scheduling model. This way every team plays every other team at least twice every 4 years, in other words more often than they play ND. What a novel concept, playing a full conference member more often than playing the Irish. :confused:

Cheers,
Neil

I believe every program in the ACC wants a trip to Florida every other year. So FSU-Miami in the same 7 team division won't work for that need.

Cheers,
Neil

Still wishing for a “New ACC/Old Big East” / “Old ACC” split.

Syracuse, Miami, VT, BC, Pitt, Louisville + one more...I’m thinking Virginia to keep them with VT and because they’re geographically closer to BC, Pitt, and Cuse than everyone else in the other division.