Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to answer in post 564. Not sure if you missed it or are just implying you didnt agree with the answer

He seems to be using the promise of NIL payments to promote his brand but how are the players promoting his personal brand or recycling business? He may consider himself a business, but I don’t think promoting a person is within the spirit of NIL.

I see a chasm between the goals of the 315 Foundation and what AW was trying to do.

I frankly am not a fan of the goals of 315. I think they are somewhat naive to the realities of college sports in 2023.
Can you explain to me, using specifics, what Weitsman's goals have been?

I'm asking all these questions sincerely.

If the only way Weitsman is willing to be part of Syracuse's NIL is for him to put himself front and center, he's not really doing it to benefit Syracuse or the charities he contributed to. That doesn't mean he doesn't want the program to be successful or that the charities shouldn't be grateful for his contributions, and as I said before, he has the right to do what he wants, but don't spit on my boots and tell me it's raining.

I see a chasm between the goals of the 315 Foundation and what AW was trying to do.

I frankly am not a fan of the goals of 315. I think they are somewhat naive to the realities of college sports in 2023.
There's no chasm.

And there are boosters giving more than Weitsman. You guys are buying the bag of goods he is selling.

If the only way Weitsman is willing to be part of Syracuse's NIL is for him to put himself front and center, he's not really doing it to benefit Syracuse or the charities he contributed to. That doesn't mean he doesn't want the program to be successful or that the charities shouldn't be grateful for his contributions, and as I said before, he has the right to do what he wants, but don't spit on my boots and tell me it's raining.
He's not doing it exclusively for Syracuse. He didn't make his money doing things exclusively for others. He identified a win-win opportunity.

It's always funny to see people defending these self serving billionaires

All about PR and making a few bucks for Weitsman. I mean, the man offered a paid class to meet "influencers". He's a less salesy Grant Cardone.
In their defense he’s got respected posters, former athletes, and the .com on speed dial. He’s won the PR war. There’s no positives in responding.

JB did that when he was still the coach and this board wanted to hang him.

I don’t follow football or basketball recruiting as much as I used to, but exactly what did he do for recruiting/NIL? As far as I can tell, his donations were basically payments for his box and floor seats so he could show off for the people he brought to games and get attention to increase his social media following. I bet he’s paid more in appearance fees to get these people to the Dome than he has in NIL in the last couple years.

I don’t think serious donors at the schools that know how to play the money game are trying to get attention or exposure. The ones that eat up the fame are the ones that get popped. I don’t blame the school for telling him to back off.
than why do they want their names on buildings

Like most here, I'm confused and not exactly sure where I stand. That said, I don't really understand why it matters what motivated Weitsman to put together NIL deals. Are we really going to start questioning the motivations behind people contributing money to the university or players? Who exactly is going to say what is okay and what is not?

Why are we so worried about losing Weitsman? Besides Elijah Moore has he impacted a single player's decision to come to SU?

So disappointing that we won't have random athletes and celebrities not looking at their phones anymore.

If he wasn't so public about literally EVERYTHING no one here would have any feeling one way or another. It's always been about Adam Weitsman. Never about the school.
how about impacting decisions to remain at Syracuse?

how about impacting decisions to remain at Syracuse?
The money Weitsman was giving last year was not going to keep Jesse Edwards at Syracuse if the numbers are what was reported. We shouldn’t be paying more for a guy than what he’s worth professionally anyway. Every good team last year shut him down.

What i don't understand is what did Adam specifically do that prompted Kent to tell him to stop supporting Syracuse via NIL. I thought that NIL was supposed to be between the athlete and the sponsor. If he was getting sign off as was reported why did Kent tell him to stop.

than why do they want their names on buildings
Legacy.

I live down the street from Sacred Heart University. Earlier this year they opened a new hockey arena called the "Martire Family Arena". The Martire's donated $5 million towards the completion of the $70 million arena.

That same family has donated tens of millions more towards academic facilities on campus.

It's a great thing and I applaud it.

It's always funny to see people defending these self serving billionaires

All about PR and making a few bucks for Weitsman. I mean, the man offered a paid class to meet "influencers". He's a less salesy Grant Cardone.

Bingo

Like most here, I'm confused and not exactly sure where I stand. That said, I don't really understand why it matters what motivated Weitsman to put together NIL deals. Are we really going to start questioning the motivations behind people contributing money to the university or players? Who exactly is going to say what is okay and what is not?
It doesn't matter ultimately...but does in this specific case.

What matters is he was doing one thing in private and saying the opposite in public and now that it blew up, the idea that he was just doing this for the good of the community hurts the image of university and makes them look incompetent

Motivations don't matter. But actions do. And actions often have consequences.

Most of us have said we don't care if someone is using NIL to promote themselves. But most of us have also said that if SU has guidelines in place for NIL, than people should follow them.

Status
Not open for further replies.