Adam Weitsman has been cautious about NIL | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman has been cautious about NIL

Because he doesn’t give a flying f what I think. That’s why I’m sharing my opinion on a fan board.
He's actually very interactive with people on LinkedIn. Throws his phone number out there for people to call him.

The reason I posted Coaches comments was to get people to chill out about Adam when the overwhelming majority on this board don’t know him and yet are taking shots about his motivation. Let’s try and give people the benefit of the doubt without attacks against peoples integrity!

Adam has done a lot of good for multiple charities. I appreciate his generosity and wish more people with his type of wealth would step up to help others as much as he does. I dont understand why he does the celebrity thing but its harmless and has generated positive press for SU so im all for it.

No question that it's unique that a guy comes out of nowhere with no direct ties to the school and latches on to the program. And in typical Upstate NY fashion, many people are going to be skeptical. I just hope there is a way he can NIL this in a positive way that the players and the team and future recruits can benefit.
Most fans of SU basketball have no connection to SU

Most fans of SU basketball have no connection to SU
Well three things Weitsman and I have in common is 1) we did not attend SU, 2) we both grew up and live in upstate NY and 3) we both have season tickets and support the only major D-1 program in CNY.

If you said direct connection I would agree with you but geography is a connection. You didn't have to go there to be a fan but there are plenty of daily reminders in and around CNY to connect the average Joe to Syracuse University.

According to Giannis, no money was paid.
image-asset.jpeg

J/k

A couple thoughts, in no particular order.
Upstate Shredding was his father Ben's business; they lived in Owego when Adam was young. Adam has taken it over and grown it, considerably, by buying stagnant companies (ex: Roth Scrap Metal) when the markets weren't great. Among other things, I believe Weitsman owns whichever yard is northeast of James and Thompson. Metal recycling tends to only have a recycler or two in a metro area/area code, so it's fairly simple to purchase a position of market dominance.

I'm always a tad suspicious of folks who try to buy their way into courtside seats, friendship with coaches, whatever, but Weitsman has put his money where his mouth is with some other local investments -- he's the reason Skaneateles still has The Krebs, which he runs as a bit of a loss-leader with profits going back to charitable projects within 60 miles of the village. I wish he'd spent more of his money in the place he grew up -- a couple devastating floods, and the loss of several major area employers could've used help, but hey, he can spend his money where, and how, he sees fit.

By all accounts, he took stock of things following his year in prison (Otisville), and vowed to clean up his act. He stopped trying to bring NYC-caliber bars and such to the Southern Tier (remember 607 in downtown Binghamton? The fish tank is there is likely still the most expensive item in a bar anywhere in the a/c), and invested with more ... IDK, purpose, I guess.

He's mega-devoted to his daughter, who's mid-elementary-school age. Ditto his wife, who used to visit him in Otisville when he was an inmate.

HIs get-rich quick scheme (check-kiting, essentially) was something cops marveled at because it was challenging as hell -- few "bad guys" could have pulled it off, but Adam managed to make the timing of his buys and sells work, at least for a while; the feds who investigated him said his scheme was super-hard to detect -- though once they were onto him, he didn't try to run and/or hide from it. FWIW, he seemed genuinely, and believably, remorseful.

A part of him kind of reminds me now of the insanely rich guy who lived on your floor when you were an undergrad. You knew if you were gonna take a spur-of-the moment trip to a foreign country, say, Adam's a guy who'd make it clear that you needn't plan on paying for your stuff.

Sometimes this threatens to get him in trouble: A couple years back, he took a private-jet-load of his friends to Vegas for a title fight, with a penthouse suite, comped top-shelf liquor for the weekend, etc. One of the geniuses he took with him was the then-mayor of Binghamton, which could have led to all sorts of hot water for the mayor, who's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but other than a story or two in the local newspaper after the mayor bragged about it on Facebook, it attracted little attention (much of it along the lines of Adam is such a good guy, he has a right to have a little fun," though if I needed a scrap-seller's license approved, and if the city was giving me problems, I might make an issue of this.) I also wish Adam would have written a check for what the air fare and hotel suite and fight tickets would have cost and joined the mayor in donating it to a local charity.

I'm not totally certain I get his sudden interest in college hoop -- nor do I understand the relationship with JAB. So far, though, it seems to be above-board. If SUAD is really trying to leverage the relationship, I wish they'd do something to formalize it, not just have him wing it. And why the hell haven't they been able to do more with Gronk, seeing as how his dad is an SU football alum.

A couple thoughts, in no particular order.
Upstate Shredding was his father Ben's business; they lived in Owego when Adam was young. Adam has taken it over and grown it, considerably, by buying stagnant companies (ex: Roth Scrap Metal) when the markets weren't great. Among other things, I believe Weitsman owns whichever yard is northeast of James and Thompson. Metal recycling tends to only have a recycler or two in a metro area/area code, so it's fairly simple to purchase a position of market dominance.

I'm always a tad suspicious of folks who try to buy their way into courtside seats, friendship with coaches, whatever, but Weitsman has put his money where his mouth is with some other local investments -- he's the reason Skaneateles still has The Krebs, which he runs as a bit of a loss-leader with profits going back to charitable projects within 60 miles of the village. I wish he'd spent more of his money in the place he grew up -- a couple devastating floods, and the loss of several major area employers could've used help, but hey, he can spend his money where, and how, he sees fit.

By all accounts, he took stock of things following his year in prison (Otisville), and vowed to clean up his act. He stopped trying to bring NYC-caliber bars and such to the Southern Tier (remember 607 in downtown Binghamton? The fish tank is there is likely still the most expensive item in a bar anywhere in the a/c), and invested with more ... IDK, purpose, I guess.

He's mega-devoted to his daughter, who's mid-elementary-school age. Ditto his wife, who used to visit him in Otisville when he was an inmate.

HIs get-rich quick scheme (check-kiting, essentially) was something cops marveled at because it was challenging as hell -- few "bad guys" could have pulled it off, but Adam managed to make the timing of his buys and sells work, at least for a while; the feds who investigated him said his scheme was super-hard to detect -- though once they were onto him, he didn't try to run and/or hide from it. FWIW, he seemed genuinely, and believably, remorseful.

A part of him kind of reminds me now of the insanely rich guy who lived on your floor when you were an undergrad. You knew if you were gonna take a spur-of-the moment trip to a foreign country, say, Adam's a guy who'd make it clear that you needn't plan on paying for your stuff.

Sometimes this threatens to get him in trouble: A couple years back, he took a private-jet-load of his friends to Vegas for a title fight, with a penthouse suite, comped top-shelf liquor for the weekend, etc. One of the geniuses he took with him was the then-mayor of Binghamton, which could have led to all sorts of hot water for the mayor, who's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but other than a story or two in the local newspaper after the mayor bragged about it on Facebook, it attracted little attention (much of it along the lines of Adam is such a good guy, he has a right to have a little fun," though if I needed a scrap-seller's license approved, and if the city was giving me problems, I might make an issue of this.) I also wish Adam would have written a check for what the air fare and hotel suite and fight tickets would have cost and joined the mayor in donating it to a local charity.

I'm not totally certain I get his sudden interest in college hoop -- nor do I understand the relationship with JAB. So far, though, it seems to be above-board. If SUAD is really trying to leverage the relationship, I wish they'd do something to formalize it, not just have him wing it. And why the hell haven't they been able to do more with Gronk, seeing as how his dad is an SU football alum.
Adam recently posted this on his Linkedin page. Thought it was very interesting and talks about a bunch of things including why he is bringing his high-profile guests to the dome. Everyone should give it a listen to learn more about the man.

Adam Weitsman
Status is reachable
Adam Weitsman• 1stCEO Upstate Shredding ~ Weitsman Recycling21h • 21 hours ago

I get that I am a pretty strange person and most people do not understand me, and probably never will. Other than being on social media I’m actually a pretty private individual.

Check out the new podcast I just did to show you a side of me not many get to see. #socialmedia #podcast #people #story #news #interview

Last edited:
Adam recently posted this on his Linkedin page. Thought it was very interesting and talks about a bunch of things including why he is bringing his high-profile guests to the dome. Everyone should give it a listen to learn more about the man.

Adam Weitsman
Status is reachable

I get that I am a pretty strange person and most people do not understand me, and probably never will. Other than being on social media I’m actually a pretty private individual.

Check out the new podcast I just did to show you a side of me not many get to see. #socialmedia #podcast #people #story #news #interview

I’ll give it a shot but...”Other than being on social media I’m actually a pretty private individual.”

my eyes are rolling to the back of my skull.

Adam Weitsman
Status is reachable

Good listen. I wouldn’t have too much hope for people clicking here though. Many here made up their minds, and unfortunately, they hate because they ain’t…….

I’ll give it a shot but...”Other than being on social media I’m actually a pretty private individual.”

my eyes are rolling to the back of my skull.
He has like 5000 friends on fb lol.

Good listen. I wouldn’t have too much hope for people clicking here though. Many here made up their minds, and unfortunately, they hate because they ain’t…….
I am inclined to withhold attention from those whom crave it so desperately.

Speaking of Weitsman, any guesses as to who his guest(s) will be for the Duke game? I’ve gotta imagine he’s going to be bringing some big name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom