Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End

What the? This is an unbelievably bizarre saga. Uni lets that happen and this is how it plays out? embarrassing. They whacked him before the tarmac? Lane Kiffin would be impressed
The Godfather Movie GIF

Doing some back channel kicking of tires does not equal a national search, or full due diligence.

Highlighted section above says it all. And I say that with zero trace of snark.

Everyone knows where I stand.

That said, let's go Red.
Here is the problem... if you are going to do a national search you need time. To get time you have to get an agreement with the current coach that this year is indeed his last year. Apparently going into the season this was not JB's last year. Once the tides turned against JB... again you can't run a national search a) in season and b) without telling JB.

So option 1 would be to start the national search now and effectively punting on next season or option 2 roll with what you know and go w. Red and pray that he can turn it around next season.

Not that anyone cares, but I am firmly in the camp that a national search would not have any higher probability of getting a great coach than the probability of Red being a great coach... see Shaka Smart as a very recent example of this. Hiring is 80% luck and 20% science. And again the AD knows Autry in and out and I'm sure has "interviewed" him multiple times.

If Red fails, there will be other good young coaches to pick from out there.
If he fails its going to take that much longer to be relevant again. Time is of the essence!

There’s a reason he’s there

And there will be a reason he moves on.

Coaches who went on to win national championships have begun their careers at Southern Oregon, NW Missouri, Baker, Ball State, Geneva, King's Point, Presbyterian, Indiana State, Belmont Abbey, Regis, Montana, Johns Hopkins, Stony Brook, Army (two of them), Long Beach State (also two), Marshall, Boston U., Hofstra, Valparaiso and Oral Roberts. Why not Colgate?

Last edited:
I almost wish he had another year.

I try to feel indifferent toward the program, but this is just so sad that this is how it ended. I hope the University gives him a job or something to do. Let him work in the football offices though.
You could have given him another 20 years. Outside of health issues, this was always how it was going to end.

It’s a sad day for me. But it was also time. Probably past time. Still feel for Jim having it end on these last two seasons.

I’ll forever be grateful to Coach for making this program into what it is. I for one, will remember him as THE legend he is at Cuse.

Look forward to the future. Hopefully it works out for us. With all of the conference realignment on top of this news, we are in uncharted waters.

Bleed Orange folks.

Yea, they took the decision out of his hands. If he wants to go whine and complain now, it's a terrible look for Autry and the university. Honestly, well done by JW. This had to be done this way and it was executed well.
It's not a bad look for SU. He had ample opportunity to retire and it seems he just wouldn't do it. And, if he whines about it, not that I think he will, it will reflect more on him.
I also don't think too many people will listen.
This will be a big story nationally for 24 hours and then not at all outside of CNY.

Think people here will be pleasantly surprised with how the offseason begins developing.

He has a lot of work to do. I excited to see our name linked to some of the top portal players. We need influx of talent to compete and hope Red is up to the task.

Now, UDub has to fire Hop and then Red hires him and that’s a step in the right direction in my opinion.
Would Hop really come back to be an assistant? I don't know if he has other options. Just seems weird.

That’s usually what happens when you want to hire a top flight head coach. Syracuse basketball is still a brand and we have the resources and means to have a national search for a basketball coach.
But those guys might say no and no one is taking the job today and giving us a jumpstart on the portal.

Also if next seasons terrible hire one of these dudes then. They aren’t going anywhere really. They get to replace the guy who replaced the guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom