AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Been awhile since I posted on this thread. Last week, AEW drew over a million viewers for only the second time with NXT running on a different night. This week, AEW drew about 880,000, which was 200,000 more viewers than NXT had. I think NXT should switch nights. It's a good show, but it usually finishes behind AEW, especially in the key demos. I think it's safe to remove the question mark from the title of this thread.

I LOL'd through that whole sequence. Two smarmy heels doing a song-and-dance number, and doing it really well.

You also can see the entire storyline being laid out, you know the ending, it's inevitable, but it's gonna be great fun getting there.

Whoever expected to see this during a wrestling show?

You also can see the entire storyline being laid out, you know the ending, it's inevitable, but it's gonna be great fun getting there.

You mean. MJF joins the inner circle and eventually turns the rest of the inner circle on Jericho and gets Jericho kicked out. Then they have an epic feud.

You mean. MJF joins the inner circle and eventually turns the rest of the inner circle on Jericho and gets Jericho kicked out. Then they have an epic feud.

What's great is that they can let this story line play out for a long time, at least for a year. AEW feels no need to 'hotshot' just to get ratings. They beat NXT almost every week, and the wrestlers are the creative team.

WWE would mess this story line up in, say, three weeks' time.

The Return Of The Cleaner. He's first got a feud with Hangman Adam Page and, then, presumably a PPV headliner with Jon Moxley. 2021 is gonna be his year.

Sorry. I have never gotten Kenny Omega.

I don't understand why AEW rushed this Jericho-MJF match.

In the last 5 years, the WWE hasn't got much right, but the built up to the split and then the split itself of Jericho-Owens was great (the match afterwards was a miss)... but that slow build when it involves two great smarmy characters was great.

I don't understand why AEW rushed this Jericho-MJF match.

In the last 5 years, the WWE hasn't got much right, but the built up to the split and then the split itself of Jericho-Owens was great (the match afterwards was a miss)... but that slow build when it involves two great smarmy characters was great.

I think the reason is that this is the first chapter in a long-planned story arc. MJF gets into the Inner Circle (probably due to some skulduggery in the match or, perhaps Jericho LETS him win, since he wants to let MJF in), foments dissension (very gradually, I hope), which ultimately leads to a battle for the Inner Circle between the two. Which, I think, MJF wins, as Jericho has then set the stage for the future of AEW and takes a diminished role, at least as a wrestler. He's no spring chicken, but his creative mind is invaluable.

Last edited:
Does AEW run all their shows in the south, and if so is that why they have some fans in attendance? Can’t remember.

Cant wait until things improve enough to where fans become the norm again. Even having some fans makes a difference for me watching AEW. And I just can’t get into WWE at all without them. Wrestling is based so much on how the crowd is reacting to things.

Does AEW run all their shows in the south, and if so is that why they have some fans in attendance? Can’t remember.

Cant wait until things improve enough to where fans become the norm again. Even having some fans makes a difference for me watching AEW. And I just can’t get into WWE at all without them. Wrestling is based so much on how the crowd is reacting to things.

jacksonville, they own the jags

I DVRed this show because AEW is the only show worth watching each week.

Now I am pumped to see it.

The angle they pull off at the end is something I never saw coming. I wonder what's gonna come of it.

That's all I'll say for now. Enjoy.

You guys know that I’m an enormous Jericho fan. He’s right there with Bret Hart as my favorite of all time, and he’s often been the only reason I’ve watched as an adult in the last 10 years.

But he’s looked pretty terrible in the ring lately. I think the weight gain is really affecting him. He’s just slow and sluggish as hell in there. Nothing looks good. He needs to get back on that DDP Yoga and paleo, and leave the bubbly alone.

Wowwwww...

I like Sting. He was great in his prime. But he is 61 now. Considering that, is that really that exciting? I guess we'll see what he does.

I like Sting. He was great in his prime. But he is 61 now. Considering that, is that really that exciting? I guess we'll see what he does.

Ha. Very true as far as something long term. I like it for a surprise appearance though, because we haven’t seen him do that over and over.

That ending was awesome.
Cyrus the virus is still around.
That was awesome that Impact and AEW are working together to actually create interesting storylines.

That ending was awesome.
Cyrus the virus is still around.
That was awesome that Impact and AEW are working together to actually create interesting storylines.

You just KNOW that, if they could, they'd be partnering with New Japan. Maybe after the pandemic...

You guys know that I’m an enormous Jericho fan. He’s right there with Bret Hart as my favorite of all time, and he’s often been the only reason I’ve watched as an adult in the last 10 years.

But he’s looked pretty terrible in the ring lately. I think the weight gain is really affecting him. He’s just slow and sluggish as hell in there. Nothing looks good. He needs to get back on that DDP Yoga and paleo, and leave the bubbly alone.

I agree. But I think he's in the part of his career where he's all about making other stars. He and Omega are so brilliant (just listen to any of their interviews) that they'll be conjuring up incredible storylines long after their primes.

This Inner Circle storyline will elevate MJF to stardom (although I think they might be rushing that angle too much), and he's the logical successor to Jericho, plus I think they're about to strap the rocket to Sammy Guevara as a face.

As to Sting, who they've signed to a long-term contract, among other things, I think he's there to help make Darby Allin a star. Here's what I know--Tony Khan knows his stuff. There have been so very few false moves so far.

Their biggest problem is that they don't have enough TV time to feature all of their top talents. Hey, if some of them can work over at Impact, so much the better.