AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

I agree. But I think he's in the part of his career where he's all about making other stars. He and Omega are so brilliant (just listen to any of their interviews) that they'll be conjuring up incredible storylines long after their primes.

This Inner Circle storyline will elevate MJF to stardom (although I think they might be rushing that angle too much), and he's the logical successor to Jericho, plus I think they're about to strap the rocket to Sammy Guevara as a face.

As to Sting, who they've signed to a long-term contract, among other things, I think he's there to help make Darby Allin a star. Here's what I know--Tony Khan knows his stuff. There have been so very few false moves so far.

Their biggest problem is that they don't have enough TV time to feature all of their top talents. Hey, if some of them can work over at Impact, so much the better.

I agree. I’m a huge fan of all the other stuff he offers. He’s 50, so I don’t expect him to be doing the stuff he always did, until the last couple years. But he should be able to move around in there better than he is. Dustin can move, and he’s around the same age. Flair was moving better than Chris is, well into his 50s. I think he’s out of shape and carrying too much of a gut.

This dude was on the DDP Yoga Monday motivation video a few days ago. Seems like a cool dude. I might dip my toe back into rasslin' and watch AEW

This dude was on the DDP Yoga Monday motivation video a few days ago. Seems like a cool dude. I might dip my toe back into rasslin' and watch AEW

I like Darby a lot. He’s got a certain charisma to him.

Here's a release on his death:

"Jon Huber, known as Brodie Lee in AEW and Luke Harper in WWE, has passed away at the age of 41.

Huber’s wife Amanda wrote in an Instagram post that he had died from a non-COVID 19 related lung issue.

AEW posted the following statement on their social media:

The All Elite Wrestling family is heartbroken. In an industry filled with good people, Jon Huber was exceptionally respected and beloved in every way - a fierce and captivating talent, a thoughtful mentor and simple a very kind soul that starkly contradicted his persona as Mr. Brodie Lee.

Jon’s love for his wife Amanda, and children Brodie and Nolan, was evident to all of us who were fortunate to spend time with him, and we send out love and support to his beautiful family, today and always. Jon’s popularity among his peers and influence on the wrestling world was worldwide, and transcended AEW, so this loss will be felt by many for a long time.
We were privileged at AEW to call Jon Huber a brother, a friend and one of our own."

It looks like the folks at AEW were aware that Brodie Lee's condition was serious. This is pretty cool:

At the most recent AEW Dynamite tapings held two weeks ago, there was a segment at the end of the tapings where Kenny Omega “lost” the AEW World title to Huber’s son, Brodie. Brodie was announced as the new champion by AEW announcer Justin Roberts.

This AEW tribute show to Brodie Lee is incredibly moving.

And very satisfying. Everybody associated with Brodie has gone over. And Brodie's kid hitting MJF over the head with a 'kendo stick' was priceless.

The personal tributes are hearfelt. Even I am shedding a few tears.

Last edited:
This AEW tribute show to Brodie Lee is incredibly moving.

And very satisfying. Everybody associated with Brodie has gone over. And Brodie's kid hitting MJF over the head with a 'kendo stick' was priceless.

The personal tributes are hearfelt. Even I am shedding a few tears.
Really well done and put together. Kudos to AEW.

Vince and WWE could have at least given him the 10-bell salute. All he got on Raw was a remembrance graphic to start the show. I know company lines but pro-wrestling as a whole is a such a unique and pretty tight community. Even AEW crossed company lines tonight with names/ characters, photos/videos, etc.

Better late than never, but it sure would have been a nice touch to have a video tribute on TV. Even though the shows this week were already pre-recorded they could have added to or edited it.

Edit: There were a few moments on Raw that wrestlers worked in his moves or catch phrase, so maybe they did retape some stuff.

Better late than never, but it sure would have been a nice touch to have a video tribute on TV. Even though the shows this week were already pre-recorded they could have added to or edited it.

Maybe they let AEW to do their tribute first since he was working for them. That's what Dave Scherer of PWinsider theorized and it might be something to think about.

There was a lot of outpouring of appreciation and support from WWE stars last night on social media for what AEW did to honor Jon Huber (Brodie/Luke).

Potentially big news. KENTA from New Japan attacked Jon Moxley on AEW last night. Meltzer says that New Japan is now willing to work w/AEW, and vice versa. Once (if?) the pandemic ends, this could set up some of the best matches in pro rasslin' history.

AEW Pretty Much Sweeps Annual Wrestling Observer Awards.

Among its many winners:

Best Wrestler: Jon Moxley
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Kenny Omega
Tag Team: The Young Bucks
Best Interview: Eddie Kingston
Promotion Of The Year
Best Weekly Show: AEW Dynamite
Pro Wrestling Match Of The Year: Young Bucks vs. Kenny Omega & Adam Page
Feud Of The Year: Jon Moxley Vs. Eddie Kingston
Most Improved: Britt Baker (BTW, remember how terrible the AEW women's division was at the beginning? It's now light-years improved, IMO)
Most Charismatic: MJF
Best Non-Wrestler: Taz
Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW Revolution
Best Booker: Tony Khan
Best Promoter: Tony Khan

There are more, but you get the idea.

And, unlike WWE, they've got a lot of young stars to build around. We can eliminate the '?' from the title of the thread.

Among its many winners:

Promotion Of The Year
Most Improved: Britt Baker (BTW, remember how terrible the AEW women's division was at the beginning? It's now light-years improved, IMO)

And, unlike WWE, they've got a lot of young stars to build around. We can eliminate the '?' from the title of the thread.
What is the difference between “best wrestler” and “most outstanding wrestler”?

What is the difference between “best wrestler” and “most outstanding wrestler”?

"most outstanding" is supposed to go to the best pure in ring guy, whereas "best" (Wrestler of the year) is supposed to be the MVP; basically a combo of good in-ring wrestling along with guy who carried the company

"most outstanding" is supposed to go to the best pure in ring guy, whereas "best" (Wrestler of the year) is supposed to be the MVP; basically a combo of good in-ring wrestling along with guy who carried the company
It’s like the NFL having Offensive and Defensive POYs awards and an MVP award.

Among its many winners:

Promotion Of The Year

I DVR dynamite and still have the WWE network just for the library content.

WWE is getting older I heard because Vince is realizing older wrestlers aren’t a negative because he himself is getting older.

It’s dumb logic but that is what he does.

I mean I enjoy watching a random Superstars show from 1995 than watching any random Raw or Smackdown from the last 5 years.