AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

What is the difference between “best wrestler” and “most outstanding wrestler”?

As a former governor of Delaware once said, "It's all a matter of ceramics".

In the Wrestling Observer, 'Best Wrestler' is the total package, including wrestling, box office, interviews, etc. 'Most Outstanding Wrestler' is for in-ring.

I DVR dynamite and still have the WWE network just for the library content.

WWE is getting older I heard because Vince is realizing older wrestlers aren’t a negative because he himself is getting older.

It’s dumb logic but that is what he does.

I mean I enjoy watching a random Superstars show from 1995 than watching any random Raw or Smackdown from the last 5 years.

Well, old wrestlers, in and of themselves, are not negatives. But failing to build up ANY young wrestlers is.

I mean, older wrestlers play a prominent role in AEW. Omega's pushing 40, and Jericho's now got that beer gut. But they've built identifiable young stars and gotten over their gimmicks. Even Orange Cassidy has gotten over with his 'lazy wrestler' persona. And guys like Hangman Page and MJF are superstars-in-waiting. I think Sammy Guevara is about to join them.

I don't understand how WWE and, yes, it's Vince, has lost the ability to build young stars.

Actually, I do. It is WWE's refusal to build on the wrestler's own personality. Look at how Mox has transformed himself into a star since leaving. All because he gets to cut his own promos and build his own character. Reciting WWE-speak just doesn't cut it.

Ironically, the best thing that WWE's got going right now is that Cameron Grimes 'Hillbillionaire' character in NXT. But you know that they would ruin it on the main roster, just like they've ruined pretty much every NXT callup.

It’s like the NFL having Offensive and Defensive POYs awards and an MVP award.

Yeah kinda, though wrestling is different because you can be a great in ring guy and not necessarily be a top star.

There are years where most outstanding and Wrestler of the year are the same guy, which usually (never?) happens with MVP and Offensive POY.

Question. We all know what the end is here but how long before MJF and the rest of the Inner Circle turns on Jericho. We know MJF want's to take over the inner circle this is the payoff of this angle. I know they have a tag team titles shot versus the young bucks coming up.

Question. We all know what the end is here but how long before MJF and the rest of the Inner Circle turns on Jericho. We know MJF want's to take over the inner circle this is the payoff of this angle. I know they have a tag team titles shot versus the young bucks coming up.

Good question. I sorta wonder whether Jericho is beginning to wind down his career as an every-week performer. Between MJF and Sammy Guevara, who has basically left the Inner Circle, there's a lot of star power invested in that angle.

Jericho has so many things going on, plus he's also a brainy booker, (and he does have a body that's, um, not what it once was), that I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a step back.

Hope AEW comes through with the surprise tonight. WIth the way they've been promoting it, they better come up big.

Hope AEW comes through with the surprise tonight. WIth the way they've been promoting it, they better come up big.
I’m pretty jaded at this point...if it’s not CM Punk, I don’t care. Lol.

I’m pretty jaded at this point...if it’s not CM Punk, I don’t care. Lol.

From what I'm reading on the internet, a lot of people feel that way :)

MJF is probably my favorite guy going right now

Promo work reminds me of prime attitude era greatness

MJF is probably my favorite guy going right now

Promo work reminds me of prime attitude era greatness

Agreed. He is a top notch heel and mic worker. He really makes you want to punch him, and that’s rare.

Is the signing going to be better than Christian?

I hope so. Angle does nothing for me hope it’s not him.

Is the signing going to be better than Christian?

I hope so. Angle does nothing for me hope it’s not him.
It’s Ethan Page.

I don’t know him.

If it’s not going to be someone massive like Punk (or Lesnar, I guess), then I’m really glad it’s not someone washed up like Angle or some kind of troll job like bringing in Mark Henry.

Probably a good move to get someone thats apparantly accomplished in the lesser promotions, and hype him as a star. He’s gotta deliver though.

It’s Ethan Page.

I don’t know him.

If it’s not going to be someone massive like Punk (or Lesnar, I guess), then I’m really glad it’s not someone washed up like Angle or some kind of troll job like bringing in Mark Henry.

Probably a good move to get someone thats apparantly accomplished in the lesser promotions, and hype him as a star. He’s gotta deliver though.
Bad job.
Page is not worth what they hyped and that pisses off fans who want momentum.

Bad job.

Ive realized that until matches make sense again, I probably won’t care.

Guys can get run over by a Mack truck and still kick out, these days.

Everytime I start watching, I just get bored so quickly by the sheer absurdity and lack of realistic feel and have the desire to go watch Bret Hart and Curt Hennig matches. Hell, give me a Rick Martel - Tito Santana Prime Time or Superstars match over almost any of these PPV main events.

Bad job.
Page is just one signing
Christian is the Hall of Fame guy
They also have hinted that more signing may be coming this week

It’s Ethan Page.

I don’t know him.

Agreed

Page worked as a champion with Cody like five years ago.

He has been pushed in every promotion he has been in and he is relatively young.

I can see him put into a feud with the inner circle quickly.

Curious to see how they utilize Christian.

See an angle with him and Sting

Christian
Oooh, they went with two signings. Ok. Christian is maybe the one “old” guy they can get me with, given that his career just kindve ended prematurely due to injury. He never got to go out the right way. He looked good at the Rumble. And frankly, he was never tired or overexposed. Always an entertaining talker and good in ring worker. I like it.

one of my favorite Christian moments. Wish I could find the whole clip. Back when Cena was doing his rapper gimmick.

As someone who grew up watching my Onita vs Hayabusa vcr tape almost every week...I knew this was going to happen. I knew this would be a disaster. In japan, they’d do it in a friggin baseball stadium. Not to mention the obvious regulations in America vs Japan. Ugh a disaster. Feel terrible for Moxley and Omega, they killed themselves for that

Paul Wight will bring attention when wrestles Shaq eventually.

Christian I like the guy but this a terrible signing to hype. He isn’t going to get you much attention.

Keep pushing MJF, Moxley, Omega.
Wait for a WWE talent that could actually make a difference get his contract up. A Cesaro or Kevin Owens type.

These old timers are sugar pills they are short term benefit long term decay.