AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Gotta think that Jericho is going away for awhile. Put MJF over clean. He may be transitioning to that Cena role of putting people over to build them up.
Jericho is going away to tour with his band Fozzy. This has been scheduled for a little while now. I took this screenshot about a month ago...
20210731_200335.jpg

Didn't read the posts above as Rampage only comes on at 11:00 in Canada. (Dynamtie is regular time)

It's a shame that the Punk entrance is a bit "anti-climactic". I am sure AEW will find a way to do it well and the crowd will go nuts, but as a fan would have loved the full surprise element.

That being said I totally understand the reason that AEW has been leaking this out -- for business reasons it makes all kinds of sense to build up buzz, get viewers and promote the new show.
Punk has his name and images from his time on the Indies, so he isn't changing his entrance music, etc.

Punk has his name and images from his time on the Indies, so he isn't changing his entrance music, etc.

I think AEW would've had to license cult of personality, but that was a no brainer. Wouldn't have been the same without theme

This All Out card is ridiculously loaded. I might have to order it.

Damn. This program just set themselves up for a strong finish to 2021

When is AEW up for their next TV contract?

With all this talent they are paying now they are probably losing money now, but given how TV properties are so strongly monetized in this current era they are in for a huge payday in the future.

When is AEW up for their next TV contract?

With all this talent they are paying now they are probably losing money now, but given how TV properties are so strongly monetized in this current era they are in for a huge payday in the future.
They're actually in pretty good shape. They got a new TV contract long before the previous one expired. And the Khans have far more money than the McMahons.

WWE, of course, has the 30-year headstart, and they're much more established.

But AEW is hardly on life support. They're putting on the best TV and the best PPV's. Their ratings have consistently grown. They are now beating WWE in certain key demographics. And they're partnering with any other wrestling company willing to partner with them.

I mean--Moxley vs. Minoru Suzuki on Wednesday's upcoming show? AYFKM? This match is taking place b/c Mox really wanted it. They had a spectacular match back in Japan, and now everyone can see it.

They're actually in pretty good shape. They got a new TV contract long before the previous one expired. And the Khans have far more money than the McMahons.

WWE, of course, has the 30-year headstart, and they're much more established.

But AEW is hardly on life support. They're putting on the best TV and the best PPV's. Their ratings have consistently grown. They are now beating WWE in certain key demographics. And they're partnering with any other wrestling company willing to partner with them.

I mean--Moxley vs. Minoru Suzuki on Wednesday's upcoming show? AYFKM? This match is taking place b/c Mox really wanted it. They had a spectacular match back in Japan, and now everyone can see it.

Never implied they were struggling - Just that they may be losing money right now (due to roster size) in order to secure a huge payoff in the future while maintaining a very strong product. And its certainly possible they are not losing money right now -- but if they are losing money on a rapidy building brand that is well run and well financed it is not a bad thing at all. That is the advantage of having strong financing -- you can focus on strong growth and a quality product without overly worrying about the bottom line.

I also think they have the foresight / roster size / content to not dilute the product with over-exposure even by monetizing TV. I think they will ultimately settle in on 4 hours.

Last edited:
Dynamite is on TNT until the end of 2021. Will they be moved from any dates given the NBA and NHL being on TNT?

With the way they are loading up, I wonder if AEW will strategically move one of their broadcasts to a Monday Night for a one time head to head. That would be pretty interesting.

Dynamite is on TNT until the end of 2021. Will they be moved from any dates given the NBA and NHL being on TNT?

With the way they are loading up, I wonder if AEW will strategically move one of their broadcasts to a Monday Night for a one time head to head. That would be pretty interesting.
Dynamite is moving to TBS next year. Turner and AEW extended last year. The payout wasn’t a huge jump but they are rewarding Turner for the buy-in.

AEW is going to take one more TV contract before it will max it out.

Khan is doing a slow build.

Dynamite is moving to TBS next year. Turner and AEW extended last year. The payout wasn’t a huge jump but they are rewarding Turner for the buy-in.

AEW is going to take one more TV contract before it will max it out.

Khan is doing a slow build.

I was aware they are moving to TBS in 2022 where there will be no risk of the NBA pushing them off their standard time in certain weeks.

My point was that in the next 4 months on TNT there is a strong chance they will need to move times in one of the weeks. A scenario that will not likely happen in 2022. If it does occur will they re-schedule on a Monday night on one of those weeks at the end of 2021. Probably not, but would be so interesting if they did.

I was aware they are moving to TBS in 2022 where there will be no risk of the NBA pushing them off their standard time in certain weeks.

My point was that in the next 4 months on TNT there is a strong chance they will need to move times in one of the weeks. If it does occur will they re-schedule on a Monday night on one of those weeks. Or do they let the sleeping giant continue to snooze away.
That is a nice way to get a chance to see a new Monday night wars and see if they do stick it on Mondays it can stay on TNT.

I bet these Monday night wars would be interesting. I don’t think AEW would beat Raw but it could hurt WWE renegotiating with USA.

I think that one area where AEW has strong growth potential is in international markets.

They've barely scratched the surface there. With the 'forbidden door' now open between them and Japan, it could make for some interesting and lucrative alliances.

Like WWE, pretty much any such international contract is a money-maker. It's the same content, with minimal additional costs associated with it.

Didn't watch the AEW pay per view last night but listened to a few podcasts that I regularly listen to.

Both gave very strong accolades to the event. POST Wrestling who I think is always fair to both companies called this one of the best PPV's of all time.

Man, AEW/Kahn are not holding back. Wish I had ordered this past PPV. First Ruby Soho ( Ruby Riot).. then Adam Cole... and closed the show with Bryan Danielson (Daniel Bryan). Some more big signings and debuts...

Bray Wyatt and KO (maybe Zayn too) are likely some big names that will land there as well.

Being a fan / follower of WWE, I have developed the following - a big part of following wrestling is complaining about things or being critical of things.

So I find myself finding a few things to complain about in AEW even though I like the product -- it is what the WWE has done to me.

So I guess last night's "critique" was more on the main event. Perhaps other people enjoyed it much more than me - also I have never followed any of the big Japanese promotions. I guess I was expecting more from the main event of Moxley / Suzuki based on the hype around it - felt a bit underwhelmed. But there are many things I don't "get", that the masses do and their opinion is more important than mine.

I have long followed the Post Wrestling Podcase out of Toronto. One of their running jokes is how RAW tends to have home-town performers lose in their hometown. Booking uses it against them for some reason or give them zero push at home.

This is the exact opposite of AEW. AEW fans know going to an event that they will get a moment from their hometown stars. And it energizes the crowd even more. We have seen this in all the shows recently in Pittsburgh, Cincy, Chicago. Another pretty simple complaint that followers have had for years, and AEW makes the easy fix. Booking wrestling is not easy, but this aspect is cherry picking that the WWE can't even figure out.

Last edited:
So it seems like Daniel Bryan is being placed against Omega right away, while CM Punk is going on a more progressive slow build. Punk seems committed for a long term so it make sense.

Since the Bryan FA negotiations started, it was reported that he did not necessarily want to leave WWE (I think by Meltzer), but wanted to basically be an independent wrestler of sorts that can wrestle the matches he wants in US and Japan. This obviously works much better with AEW who is open to these arrangements. I am not sure if his run with AEW will be that long-term. He will get the matches he wants at a professional level. But I would not be surprised if he heads back to the WWE in 12-18 months if something relevant comes back. As mentioned in another thread he would avoid the secondary program rot in the WWE that has to be so frustrating for some.

Not sure I can remember a heel being universally hated for as long as MJF since like...Ted Dibiase? Attitude Era HHH?

Usually a really good heel gets a good amount of face cheers before long. Not MJF. The crowd hates him every single week.
The great part is that he keeps it going outside the ring. He lives in character.

Not sure I can remember a heel being universally hated for as long as MJF since like...Ted Dibiase? Attitude Era HHH?

Usually a really good heel gets a good amount of face cheers before long. Not MJF. The crowd hates him every single week.

Maybe not a wrestler (most of the time) but a wrestling personality - late 90's Vince McMahon.

I'm going to Dynamite tomorrow. Pretty damn excited.
Just saw the card for tonight! Wow. Enjoy. Between today and Friday, they’re basically putting on a PPV caliber card.

Also, Bryan got jacked since I last saw him.

Just saw the card for tonight! Wow. Enjoy. Between today and Friday, they’re basically putting on a PPV caliber card.

Also, Bryan got jacked since I last saw him.

Would have liked a better ending to the Bryan/Omega match, but I understand why they did a great match with no finish to set up a likely PPV. You could certainly find worse ways to get out of an ending (WWE!), so its not that bad.

Last edited: