AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

What really pissed me off about him was when he did the Hitler salute during a Germany house show and Vince was so pissed at the backlash he pushed JBL even more at The top.

It was offensive and typical Vince.

That is 100% classic Vince. I never thought about this until now, but i wonder if JBL saw it playing out that way. Would've been brilliant.

you know that was a work, right?
Here is the thing about Vince he lets people say what they think.
Styles was being replaced. Vince let him say whatever he felt.
It wasn’t a work. It was the end of Styles time as the commentator for Raw.
Vince was in the process of rehiring JR during one of the multiple times he replaced him.

It wasn’t a work as part of a program. Styles was letting his real frustrations out and while Vince is a bully he never prevents people from speaking their mind. Vince respects people more when they stand up for themselves.
Styles punched JBL out on one their tours the crew did to Iraq for tribute to the troops in 2008.
That punchout earned Styles more respect from Vince than any of this ideas while replacing JR during his time on raw.

I can’t believe Jericho never really had his own crew before. I mean, they gave him Lance Cade for a few weeks before he got himself fired, but I’m talking a whole faction.

He’s such a natural faction leader. The NBA is back and the World Series is on, and I’m watching AEW and LMAO at Jericho heckling Omega while eating popcorn and drinking with his crew. So good.

i haven't seen much of aew, but i watched the two tag team tournament matches. they had a real indy show feel to them, partly because that's where i know "dark order" and scu from. but especially the first match, private party & lucha bros. a lot of focus on high spots, which often took a long time to set up, and not much on ring psychology.

and i can't believe what they are doing to the super smash brothers. turning them into a creepy homoerotic leather cult is like the worst kind of vince russo move

i haven't seen much of aew, but i watched the two tag team tournament matches. they had a real indy show feel to them, partly because that's where i know "dark order" and scu from. but especially the first match, private party & lucha bros. a lot of focus on high spots, which often took a long time to set up, and not much on ring psychology.

and i can't believe what they are doing to the super smash brothers. turning them into a creepy homoerotic leather cult is like the worst kind of vince russo move

Yeah. Some of the matches haven’t really hit me. I like the general direction(W/L records is a good idea IMO), I like the commentary and the lively crowds, and I’m really liking the main event stuff. Love Jericho as the champ and faction leader.

I feel like Moxley is off to a strong start too.

Cody with a hell of a promo on Jericho! Crowd was rocking.

Honestly didn’t know Cody was capable of that.

That was such a great promo

Build, burn, build, burn, build and finish strong

That Inner Circle skit was pure comedy!!! Holy...it just kept topping itself.

That little bathtub. Soul Train Jones. The aunts friend from church. Said aunt cursing. Hager staring and not saying anything. I was dying through the whole thing. Amazing.

Jericho shows up on Inside the NBA. There’s a ring there. Predictably, hijinks ensue.

Last edited:
I only watched part of it on Thursday.

It was a tag team match with "Party" something against some team with a guy in a mask. The spots were terribly done. The set up to these high spots was just forced and plain stupid in some cases.

I also saw the Jericho promo which was well done.

Alright, I bit the bullet and paid the ridiculous price and bought Full Gear. Let’s see how it goes.

Enjoyed Full Gear. $50 though? For one show? Guess no WWE Network for 5 months evens things out?

Thought Jericho-Cody was the best match. Very well done. Loved the old school Lion Tamer to finish things off. MJF...we all knew it was coming. It was just a matter of when. Got some serious heat. Also loved the Jericho-Malenko thing and JR calling back to their 1998 feud. Love when they remember history, unlike WWE who usually goes out of its way to ignore it.

The opening tag match was really good. Perfect show opener.

Thought Pac-Page and the tag title match was solid too and glad to see Daniels back. Now I want to see him wrestle.

Moxley-Omega was good for what it was. I’m not a huge fan of those types of matches - but for that kind of match it was good. Moxley crawling through glass to get to the ropes was the best spot IMO. IMO, they should go for a Hart-Austin type of double turn with these two.

Not crazy about their women’s division, though Britt Baker is growing on me. I can’t really buy into the champ - she’s just too small.

Overall, good show with a good crowd. Definitely better than the typical WWE PPV.

i know this is an aew thread, but forgive me for using it as a general wrestling-related thread.

no school today, so took my son to see "playing with fire" this afternoon. he liked it . . . but he's 10. it was one of the worst movies i've ever seen. i only mention it because john cena was particularly brutal. no comic timing, inexpressive face, wooden delivery. if he's going to make it in films, he's going to have to find strategic roles like that amy shumer movie where he can do a brief, funny bit. you can't make a leading man out of him

Amazingly done

MJF is only 23, and he's right there with Jericho as the best promo around.

BTW, AEW beat NXT: 957,000 to 750,000. The hot-shotting of bringing WWE 'superstars' to NXT is already getting old.

Last edited:
MJF is only 23, and he's right there with Jericho as the best promos around.

BTW, AEW beat NXT: 957,000 to 750,000. The hot-shotting of bringing WWE 'superstars' to NXT is already getting old.
MJF is definitely the future of AEW

I hope they can develop or find similarly talented young bucks like him. If they do, then the chances of them making it and getting bigger increase.

They need to find and develop one or two more characters / angles to really give them some flexibility in their shows.

MJF is definitely the future of AEW

I hope they can develop or find similarly talented young bucks like him. If they do, then the chances of them making it and getting bigger increase.

They need to find and develop one or two more characters / angles to really give them some flexibility in their shows.

I think Moxley has “face of the company” written all over him as an anti-hero type guy who has no friends.

Exciting main event match between Moxley and Darby Allen with a hot crowd. That was all I saw because of the Cuse game, but that match was fun.