After watching…… | Syracusefan.com

After watching……

GENESEO1983

Walk On
Benny, Symir and Frank tonight…..how can anyone question why the starters play so many minutes? Their basketball IQ tonight together, equaled that of a tomato can…..dear lord!

Benny, Symir and Frank tonight…..how can anyone question why the starters play so many minutes? Their basketball IQ tonight together, equaled that of a tomato can…..dear lord!
The sad thing it was one of Benny’s better games. Smir was awful.

One way to improve is increased playing time when it won’t cost us a game. It is difficult to find those minutes, but JB did a good job the last couple of games.

One way to improve is increased playing time when it won’t cost us a game. It is difficult to find those minutes, but JB did a good job the last couple of games.
Those games are officially over, no more participation trophies, man up….the real season begins now when we face a full court press every game from here on out.

Those games are officially over, no more participation trophies, man up….the real season begins now when we face a full court press every game from here on out.
I agree, and that goes for the starters and coaches, as well. Our guys look clueless against even the least athletic of presses. They don’t create space, they don’t inbound to the right spots and they pick up the dribble allowing them to be trapped. It looks like they haven’t practiced at all against the press.

I agree, and that goes for the starters and coaches, as well. Our guys look clueless against even the least athletic of presses. They don’t create space, they don’t inbound to the right spots and they pick up the dribble allowing them to be trapped. It looks like they haven’t practiced at all against the press.

Going against a couple walkons because we only have 8 scholarship players can’t possibly help in regards to simulating the presses and the pressure defenses we’ll see in the games.

I remember how the competition in practice was often credited for helping the 2012 team get better. Imagine MCW, Dion, CJ, Southerland, and Keita getting after our starters with a press? That’s something to work against.

Going against a couple walkons because we only have 8 scholarship players can’t possibly help in regards to simulating the presses and the pressure defenses we’ll see in the games.

I remember how the competition in practice was often credited for helping the 2012 team get better. Imagine MCW, Dion, CJ, Southerland, and Keita getting after our starters with a press? That’s something to work against.
Casey looks like a smaller and slower version of a Cornell player. Practicing against him doesn’t help our starters?

Out rebounded by CORNELL!!
Cornell had 7 more assists.
Man, athletic ACC teams...I shudder at what to think.

I don't really know what to make of Symir. He can't shoot at all. He can't really score off the dribble. I could live with those things if he was a rock-solid reliable ball-handler, but he isn't.

Teams are doubling Joe on the press so someone else needs to go to the ball. Buddy or Swider have to flash and then hit Joe cutting. Make teams pay for pressing. Joe doesn’t always act like he wants the ball against the press and stands around. They don’t take inside cuts to the ball. Basic press offense. If they front Joe just clear behind him and throw over the press. We never do this.

Teams are doubling Joe on the press so someone else needs to go to the ball. Buddy or Swider have to flash and then hit Joe cutting. Make teams pay for pressing. Joe doesn’t always act like he wants the ball against the press and stands around. They don’t take inside cuts to the ball. Basic press offense. If they front Joe just clear behind him and throw over the press. We never do this.
Joe uses the strategy of draw the double team, lead them to the side line and then pick up the dribble and hope for the best.

Joe also has the uncanny ability to find the very worst piece of real estate on the floor and dribble right into it when pressured

Is FSU athletic?
Hard to tell...
They beat Boston U Terriers by one and got outrebounded.
FSU is 191st in rebounding.
FSU is 300th in points scored.
Purdue, who is very good, pounded them by 28.
Hard to tell just how good FSU is.

I know many are down on Symir after last night's game but watching him bring the ball up the court was noticeably different from Joe. He is very quick and probably saves us 6-7 seconds on the shot clock. He's also active as hell on defense, even with a couple of lapses.

Last edited:
Casey looks like a smaller and slower version of a Cornell player. Practicing against him doesn’t help our starters?
I said this in the offseason, more quality players leads to better quality practices, leads to starters being challenged and pushed which leads to better play. Starters dont push themselves as hard if they know there is no one there to challenge for their minutes or be benched for an extended period of time. Its human nature. Their time is set in stone regardless now.

Hard to tell...
They beat Boston U Terriers by one and got outrebounded.
FSU is 191st in rebounding.
FSU is 300th in points scored.
Purdue, who is very good, pounded them by 28.
Hard to tell just how good FSU is.
None of that can tell you if they are athletic. Leonard Hamilton is great at filling his roster with height and athleticism. What varies is their skill. The past few years he has had some very skilled guys who were also very athletic. It is a great combination. For us, we seem to have very skilled players that lack athleticism. Our athletic guys (Benny, Frank and Symir) lack some of the skills or just aren't quite ready to use their skills at this level.

Last edited:
I said this in the offseason, more quality players leads to better quality practices, leads to starters being challenged and pushed which leads to better play. Starters dont push themselves as hard if they know there is no one there to challenge for their minutes or be benched for an extended period of time. Its human nature. Their time is set in stone regardless now.
This is a common truth I have presumed every coach understands from D1 to biddy basketball. Unfortunately, I have recently learned my presumption was false.

The sad thing it was one of Benny’s better games. Smir was awful.
I agree this seemed to be one of Benny's better games since exhibition. It seems to me like he plays his best in the first few minutes and then for some reason it slowly starts to erode? Not sure if it is concentration, game speeds up on him or what? I do not think he would be tiring.

None of that can tell you if they are athletic. Leonard Hamilton is great at filling his roster with height and athleticism. What varies is their skill. The past few years he has had some very skilled guys who were also very athletic. It is a great combination. For us, we seem to have very skilled players that lack athleticism. Our athletic guys (Benny, Frank and Symir) lack some of the skills or just aren't quite ready to use their skills at this leve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom