Akok Akok in the portal | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Akok Akok in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might puke if Bunch is starting. Lol

Nice. How many games of his did you watch? One? I saw maybe 10 or more. He’s an up and down player that will benefit from more structure. But I saw him (on stream) at EYBL, Peach Jam and then what ever they called it at the end of the season with Wasatch. He had some stinkers no doubt. Especially at the end with Wasatch where he and the team both fell apart. But I also say him get 20+ in 3 straight games. Saw him get 29 (27?) one game. Saw his team get down by 15 or so vs the #1 team at half and Bunch come out in the 3rd and hit 4 straight 3’s to get them back in the game. He averaged 12 and 4 at Peach Jam (or was that EYBL…it all runs together). You won’t need a vomit bag. He’s gonna get some run.

Awesome to hear. He will definitely get some run then. He and Judah on the court at the same time could be like showtime all over again.
Sorry that was unclear as iPhone deleted Taylor in my response. Taylor is probably an inch or so taller than QC but QC is longer

Look I’m as down on our path as much as anyone but why would anyone say this about an SU player (that you have likely not seen).
All of his games are on The ESPN app. I've watched 10 Wasatch games this year, if we wanna win he should be the sixth man, not a starter.

I will know more on Monday. Honestly, I am surprised. You know, I didn't really want this kid but the coaches sure did. Now, because of that, I'm disappointed.
Yeah and all signs had him coming here. This was a surprise. I’d say big surprise but he’s not a big difference maker so…

All of his games are on The ESPN app. I've watched 10 Wasatch games this year, if we wanna win he should be the sixth man, not a starter.
Well one reason he might start is that we need a guy to stretch the floor which he does really well.

Every time I see a picture of Copeland, I think "there's no way he's 6'6" tall"

He's barely taller than JB, who has lost several inches in height. Copeland on the backline would be ugly to watch. But we would be a fun team to watch if we ever did get a rebound.
He’s all of 6-6. He’s a few clear of JB easy.

I might puke if Bunch is starting. Lol
Whoever starts at the other forward - transfer or portal - is going to struggle at first. If a transfer can be coached up and improve over the course of the season, why can’t a freshman?

I don’t need to hear about Williams or other frosh who struggled. I get it. They had guys in front of them, though. There were other options.

Whether it’s Bunch, Taylor, or Brown, JB has no choice but the make sure at least one of them is ready. Fill the non-conference schedule with cupcakes to minimize the initial risk. Whatever this team is going to be, they’ll be better by January/February.

Well one reason he might start is that we need a guy to stretch the floor which he does really well.
If he can stay confident when his shot isn't hitting then great, that's what we need! But he had too many games (for my liking), where he just checked out when his shot wasn't hitting.

If he can stay confident when his shot isn't hitting then great, that's what we need! But he had too many games (for my liking), where he just checked out when his shot wasn't hitting.
Um…welcome to basketball in 2022…

Look I’m as down on our path as much as anyone but why would anyone say this about an SU player (that you have likely not seen).
It's more about our situation and coaching staff than the player.

The only school I have heard so far that is involved with Akok is Georgetown.

It will be interesting to see how we react to this.
Id say its going to be a stretch if we didnt reach out when he entered.

Except for the first game where I think he scored 20+ he did not play well and neither did the team. They were a disorganized mess and finished last or next to last. Did you watch EYBL or Peach Jam at all?

I hear you.
But it seems pretty clear (to me at least) that JB is not willing to block PT for the frosh forwards coming in. That is why he targeted strictly a back-up C in the portal - and that's why, in my estimation, he'll continue to target only a back-up C in the portal.
Did JB recruit a center exclusively... or was their a local player in the portal that they had a previous relationship that just happens to exclusively play center?

Except for the first game where I think he scored 20+ he did not play well and neither did the team. They were a disorganized mess and finished last or next to last. Did you watch EYBL or Peach Jam at all?
Yes to Peach Jam. Wasatch as a whole struggled, never seemed like they had chemistry.

Do you honestly believe this kid should be starting for us next year?

Yes to Peach Jam. Wasatch as a whole struggled, never seemed like they had chemistry.

They played like it was a pick up game.

Whoever starts at the other forward - transfer or portal - is going to struggle at first. If a transfer can be coached up and improve over the course of the season, why can’t a freshman?

I don’t need to hear about Williams or other frosh who struggled. I get it. They had guys in front of them, though. There were other options.

Whether it’s Bunch, Taylor, or Brown, JB has no choice but the make sure at least one of them is ready. Fill the non-conference schedule with cupcakes to minimize the initial risk. Whatever this team is going to be, they’ll be better by January/February.
Bah, meant to say transfer or freshman in the first paragraph.

Crossing your fingers and hoping that one or two of your ~100 ranked freshmen are ready to play starting minutes on a winning team in the ACC is not the way to win in this era of college basketball.

I actually really like Taylor and wouldn’t be surprised if another forward is ready to contribute but there are dozens of proven guys in the portal that would strongly consider coming to Syracuse to play a wing given what our roster looks like. It is crazy if this is what we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom