Akok Akok in the portal | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Akok Akok in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question I have for the group who doesn’t want this kid:

You’d rather go into next season with a sophomore who played sparingly on a 16-17 team at one forward, paired with a freshman who has yet to play college basketball?

I’m at a loss for words quite honestly. Do you want the team to be successful?
Kind of where I'm at. Some folks are wanting a perfect solution when that's never happening and the end result of wanting only that perfect solution is we are going to be screwed with a Benny/Freshman combo at forward with another Freshman backing them both up. I know for sure that I have 0 desire to experience that.

I’ve heard a lot of Akok puns but this one is new to me.

ideally we could land Akok(2) and QB, with Chaz going to PWO status

Not sure PWO is a basketball thing. Not a fan of yanking a kids scholarship. Of we can find him a better gig then sure help him txfr. Say going to LeMoyne and then we are sure to schedule them as an exhibition for two years...

I guess I’ll keep asking the question that’s already been asked, with no clear response… Are we going after this kid, or naw? Is the interest, if there is any, genuine and mutual? Thanks in advance.

I remember thinking Akok would've been one of our best weak side shot blockers in years had he come here out of HS. Maybe it never happens now and maybe his potato/leg/foot always cuts his play down to varying degrees. But on paper Akok seems to be a better fit than Ballard.
Akok blocker.

My current thoughts, (they keep changing):

If we only have one scholarship available, (meaning JBA and Chazz are staying), and all three players are interested, I'd go for Huntley-Hatfield first. A 5-star 6-10 235 power forward with three years eligibility left is a guy you don't turn down. My second choice would be Qunicy. A 7-footer who averages 5.2 blocks per 40 minutes sounds like the back-up center we need and he'll have two years left. Five of the 6 recruits can play forward and I think someone will emerge we can play with Benny. Akok may be a good fit for our system but he may not be the player we recruited three years ago and he'll have one year left. If one schollie gets freed up, take Ballard and one of the forwards. If both become available, take all three.

JB probably won't want to use all his scholarships for newcomers and we could lose recruits who might decommit but you can't have too much talent and we need to come back strong from this past year.

Not sure PWO is a basketball thing. Not a fan of yanking a kids scholarship. Of we can find him a better gig then sure help him txfr. Say going to LeMoyne and then we are sure to schedule them as an exhibition for two years...
He’s had two years of free scholarships and his dad his financially ok. I don’t feel bad about it.

My current thoughts, (they keep changing):

If we only have one scholarship available, (meaning JBA and Chazz are staying), and all three players are interested, I'd go for Huntley-Hatfield first. A 5-star 6-10 235 power forward with three years eligibility left is a guy you don't turn down. My second choice would be Qunicy. A 7-footer who averages 5.2 blocks per 40 minutes sounds like the back-up center we need and he'll have two years left. Five of the 6 recruits can play forward and I think someone will emerge we can play with Benny. Akok may be a good fit for our system but he may not be the player we recruited three years ago and he'll have one year left. If one schollie gets freed up, take Ballard and one of the forwards. If both become available, take all three.

JB probably won't want to use all his scholarships for newcomers and we could lose recruits who might decommit but you can't have too much talent and we need to come back strong from this past year.
I think Akok Akok has 2 years of eligibility left.

Akok Akok will be 23 years old in October 2022.

He actually began practicing with UConn in 2018-2019 (a Coach Hurley sneaky ploy).

He started playing with UConn in 2019.

He is classified as a senior for 2022-2023. He is eligible for one additional year after 2022-2023 due to the Covid ruling. He would be 24 years if he played in 2022-2023.

Winning matters here

So you would explain to a former alum, one who was an important part of our history that his kid has to give up his scholarship? It's not as simple as winning matters. These kids aren't numbers on piece of paper. It's not a video game. You don't know what their financial situation is- you only are speculating. Not to mention the rest. If you can't find a better situation that works for all you don't take away a scholarship in this situation. Not when it doesn't guarantee you anything. That reflects very poorly on our program.

Im good either way. If Jim plays the frosh more that will help out Red the following year.
Play them more so they can either go pro overseas after averaging 9 ppg because they’re “long”, or transferring if they don’t play enough?

Half those guys will probably be gone next year, if recent history is any indicator.

Play them more so they can either go pro overseas after averaging 9 ppg because they’re “long”, or transferring if they don’t play enough?

Half those guys will probably be gone next year, if recent history is any indicator.
Exactly, I only expect 3 of the 6 to be back for sophomore year in 23-24. The staff maybe realizes this too as they are sending out offers to pgs in class of 23. You would think they are set at that position but you never know these days.

So you would explain to a former alum, one who was an important part of our history that his kid has to give up his scholarship? It's not as simple as winning matters. These kids aren't numbers on piece of paper. It's not a video game. You don't know what their financial situation is- you only are speculating. Not to mention the rest. If you can't find a better situation that works for all you don't take away a scholarship in this situation. Not when it doesn't guarantee you anything. That reflects very poorly on our program.
Not a issue as long as a player is on scholarship prior to enrollment it can't taken away due to athletic performance.

It's not about the money. Principal matters here.
Maybe. Or maybe you are totally off base.

What I could see happening is a scenario where a couple of years ago, Billy calls JB and says his son really wants to play for Syracuse. I know he will never play in a real game and he isn’t good enough to deserve a scholarship. But is there any chance you can do me a solid and find a scholarship for him?

I would hope JB would say something like ‘Yes, I have an open one for the coming season and Chaz is welcome to take it. However, I can’t promise it for future years. If I need it for a player to make the team better, I am going to have to take it. If you and Chaz are okay with this year by year assessment whether the scholarship can be renewed, let’s make it happen’.

I think this is how walk on scholarships work. I don’t think it is the same as athletes who were recruited hard and clearly belong at this level.

But I could be wrong. And maybe JB likes Chaz and Billy too much to pull the scholarship.

More likely, he just doesn’t want to add another player on the roster that could be perceived as a threat to playing time for any of the incoming frosh. Maybe he promised Benny if Judah comes, I will not add another forward to the roster, even if Cole leaves.

To me, it should be clear to JB that the rules have changed. No players are going to be loyal to the program because they love Syracuse. That block S means nothing if a player isn’t getting the playing time they think they deserve.

Even next year, I think you have to expect JB is going to play 8 players max.

We know Jesse is going to be the center and let’s pencil in Quincy as the backup for now. If Quincy doesn’t come, it might be another portal transfer. Or who knows, maybe it ends up being Carey. But we will play 2 centers. Jesse and someone else.

We know JGIII is going to play a lot. Probably a mix of PG and SG. I am thinking Judah plays 30 minutes at PG. JG is probably going to play 10 minutes at PG and 25 minutes at SG.

Let’s assume Taylor or Bunch plays the other 15 minutes at SG. If you are a Quadir guy, maybe JGIII plays SG for 35 minutes, Judah plays 25 at PG and 5 at SG and Quadir plays 15 minutes at PG.

Whatever the breakdown is, whoever the players are that play, I expect 3 in the regular rotation.

That covers all positions but PF.

Let’s assume Benny plays 25 minutes there. Can’t see him playing more than that given how much he struggled last season. That leaves 15 minutes for Bunch, or Taylor or Brown to split up. Realistically, JB is going to end up playing one and the other two will rarely play.

Bottom line, we are probably going to see 3 guards, 3 forwards and 2 centers play. And there is going to be a guard and a forward unhappy. If we being in another scholarship forward, it gets worse.

Thinking JB might have promised the guys in the incoming class he was not going to bring in a player from the portal at their positions. Hence, the only position we are considering a portal transfer is at center…..

What I could see happening is a scenario where a couple of years ago, Billy calls JB and says his son really wants to play for Syracuse. I know he will never play in a real game and he isn’t good enough to deserve a scholarship. But is there any chance you can do me a solid and find a scholarship for him?

I would hope JB would say something like ‘Yes, I have an open one for the coming season and Chaz is welcome to take it. However, I can’t promise it for future years. If I need it for a player to make the team better, I am going to have to take it. If you and Chaz are okay with this year by year assessment whether the scholarship can be renewed, let’s make it happen’.

I think this is how walk on scholarships work. I don’t think it is the same as athletes who were recruited hard and clearly belong at this level.

But I could be wrong. And maybe JB likes Chaz and Billy too much to pull the scholarship.

More likely, he just doesn’t want to add another player on the roster that could be perceived as a threat to playing time for any of the incoming frosh. Maybe he promised Benny if Judah comes, I will not add another forward to the roster, even if Cole leaves.

To me, it should be clear to JB that the rules have changed. No players are going to be loyal to the program because they love Syracuse. That block S means nothing if a player isn’t getting the playing time they think they deserve.

We know Jesse is going to be the center and let’s pencil in Quincy as the backup for now. If Quincy doesn’t come, it might be another portal transfer. Or who knows, maybe it ends up being Carey. But we will play 2 centers. Jesse and someone else.

We know JGIII is going to play a lot. Probably a mix of PG and SG. I am thinking Judah plays 30 minutes at PG. JG is probably going to play 10 minutes at PG and 25 minutes at SG.

Let’s assume Taylor or Bunch plays the other 15 minutes at SG. If you are a Quadir guy, maybe JGIII plays SG for 35 minutes, Judah plays 25 at PG and 5 at SG and Quadir plays 15 minutes at PG.

Whatever the breakdown is, whoever the players are that play, I expect 3 in the regular rotation.

Let’s assume Benny plays 25 minutes there. Can’t see him playing more than that given how much he struggled last season. That leaves 15 minutes for Bunch, or Taylor or Brown to split up. Realistically, JB is going to end up playing one and the other two will rarely play.

Bottom line, we are probably going to see 3 guards, 3 forwards and 2 centers play. And there is going to be a guard and a forward unhappy. If we being in another scholarship forward, it gets worse.

Thinking JB might have promised the guys in the incoming class he was not going to bring in a player from the portal at their positions. Hence, the only position we are considering a portal transfer is at center…..
A lot of "if's" there, but it certainly makes sense.

You’re missing 40 minutes of playing time.

My thing is this- if Billy and Chaz are 100 pct cool with the offer being both doing a solid as well as an opportunity, one that appears didn't unfold into anything then absolutely- both sides agree to do what is in the best interest. My thing is I don't see the "talk" coming that pulls a walk on scholarship from a former players kid unless you have the kind of buy in noted above. Last thing we need is something like that being made into a far bigger stink or rift. So essentially if it was a "chance" and everyone understands it as such then great- no harm done.

As for the minutes and not wanting to add to a logjam, very possible. With that said the aspect of hoping on a lot of young unknowns is a tough pill to swallow too. Especially after the season we just had.

Last edited:

Hard to see Symir not playing.

Symir, Joe, Judah

Benny, two other guys.

Jesse, one other guy.

That’s how I see it.

You’re missing 40 minutes of playing time.
You are right. Still need to account for SF. Gotta be Bunch and Taylor splitting this up, though I guess you could argue that Benny could play some minutes here too. But he was so limited last season, I think the only way we can play him is at the 4.

The split between Bunch and Taylor could be pretty much anything. 20 and 20. More likely 25 and 15. Or even 30 and 10.

So 3 guards play.

And 4 forwards play.

And 2 centers. Maybe only 1 if JB decides he likes Brown and is willing to give up rebounding and maybe some defense to get a better offensive player in the game.

Could be 9 players playing then. I hate to predict that because it rarely seems to happen. But the forwards are all so green and unproven, I am finding it hard to see any of them playing 35 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom