Akok Akok in the portal | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Akok Akok in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that’s the case, why is JB not portal pounding? He’s fine with *another* losing season? I just can’t imagine that.
Really good question. I was certain they’d try to find a good good forward if a scholarship was available. But there doesn’t seem to be any urgency. By December, I fully expect JB to be saying, “The young forwards just aren’t ready.”

Yes, I would and any athlete would understand. He would be free to transfer to a program that could offer him a scholarship, but no parent or player is bigger than the team.

It's totally as simple as winning matters, this is not a daycare center, it's a basketball program trying to win basketball games. Check emotion at the door and win. How old is Chaz? 21? He's old enough to not be patronized. Keeping him on scholly just because he's a daddy's boy is quite frankly insulting to any competitor.

I'm guessing you are pretty young. It's not being a daddys boy or anything of that nature. It's simply social politics with running and maintaining a program. If it was understood like tomcat said that this was a year to year thing then we have nothing to discuss here. If this was not that- you just can't pull the rug out.

I didn't like giving that scholarship out more than anyone else unless it was something we could pull back if we needed it. No idea if that was the case. Find the kid a good landing place and everyone wins.. that to me is best case scenario.

It is though. Multiple people can watch the same players play and get different opinions.
I’ve seen Bunch, Copeland and Taylor play. Bunch doesn’t rebound and is pretty much a one dimensional scorer..Copeland will sit behind Mintz and Torrence. And Taylor has yet to find the shooing stroke that was advertised almost a year ago. Mintz is the only impact player in this class. We’ll need to be patient with this group.

Well if we go 12-19 then there won't be much more to say but when do things change. You can't predict anything though. Just look at Woody early season last year.
I see something in the order of .500 season if things stand as is with the roster.

I’ve seen Bunch, Copeland and Taylor play. Bunch doesn’t rebound and is pretty much a one dimensional scorer..Copeland will sit behind Mintz and Torrence. And Taylor has yet to find the shooing stroke that was advertised almost a year ago. Mintz is the only impact player in this class. We’ll need to be patient with this group.

A lot of us have seen even full games on tape at this point. Expectations are that it will be a struggle for them. I'm sure everyone of us has been proven wrong a time or two. We are all bracing for what could be a rough year. That said freshmen are hard to predict sometimes even with having seen them play a good amount.

If I recall I think you watched them in a couple of games. The last game I watched Taylor play he made like 4 or 5 3’s and scored 27 points. This narrative where he’s completely lost his shooting stroke has taken a life of its own.

If I recall I think you watched them in a couple of games. The last game I watched Taylor play he made like 4 or 5 3’s and scored 27 points. This narrative where he’s completely lost his shooting stroke has taken a life of its own.
He’s an inconsistent shooter. Just sense that the coaches are willing to roll with this group. We’ll see.

He’s an inconsistent shooter. Just sense that the coaches are willing to roll with this group. We’ll see.
We’ll see. Exactly. There’s enough numbers there for someone to surprise. And I’m not sure anyone expects Copeland, Brown or Carey to be large contributors this year. We are talking about finding our 5th option in a lineup.

A lot of us have seen even full games on tape at this point. Expectations are that it will be a struggle for them. I'm sure everyone of us has been proven wrong a time or two. We are all bracing for what could be a rough year. That said freshmen are hard to predict sometimes even with having seen them play a good amount
We’ll see. Exactly. There’s enough numbers there for someone to surprise. And I’m not sure anyone expects Copeland or Carey to be large contributors this year. We are talking about finding our 5th option in a lineup.
I get that. But we’re also betting on Benny making a big jump and one the starting five becoming a go-to guy much in the way Biuddy was. I have trouble seeing that right now.

I'm guessing you are pretty young. It's not being a daddys boy or anything of that nature. It's simply social politics with running and maintaining a program. If it was understood like tomcat said that this was a year to year thing then we have nothing to discuss here. If this was not that- you just can't pull the rug out.

I didn't like giving that scholarship out more than anyone else unless it was something we could pull back if we needed it. No idea if that was the case. Find the kid a good landing place and everyone wins.. that to me is best case scenario.
Chaz is on a guaranteed 4 year scholarship with a stipend it would be difficult for anyone to give that up without place to go. Not everyone who portals will find a spot.

I have a bad feeling that this season is going to look a lot like one of Hop's mediocre to bad non-tournament Washington teams. It's hard to imagine rebuilding around a large group of recruits that will probably be fine players in time, but are mostly projects at this point. Bringing in six freshmen, especially in the age of the portal, just seems like a recipe for failure.

On the other hand, it should be a good preview of Hop's tenure, as my avatar looks on and shakes his head in confusion.

It’s going to sink us. That’s not even a question. We’ll be lucky if next year’s team is as successful as last year’s team.
A lot of questions and unknowns but at the very least from a roster construction perspective this years team makes much more sense. We should be faster, more athletic and can throw out multiple looks. We’ll actually be able to run a press again. We should have a guard with slashing ability on the court at all times.

Benny will be the X factor. If he makes the leap to handle 30+ minutes a game we have 4 options to figure out 50 minutes that will be the fifth scoring option and can focus on defense and hitting an occasional open shot.

Sure we won’t be as potent offensively but if we’re being honest our 2 best offensive teams in the last few years vastly underperformed and missed the tourney (last year and 2016-17).

Getting back to a more balanced team and having an easier out of conference should let this team build confidence going into conference play. I’m not saying this team will find themselves ranked, but being on the bubble come February won’t be surprising.

Ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors