Al Golden? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Al Golden?

Because he did virtually nothing with talent we could only dream of. So he comes here where it's much harder to land talent. I'd be looking for someone with a track record of doing more with less, not the other way around.

Yep. Someone in the mold of Chris Petersen.

Temple was his.
Yes, I get that. Not taking away anything from him at Temple, but he had 2 winning seasons in 5 years. 2010 won 9 games, beating just 1 P5 school (sort of) in Uconn. In 2009 he won 8. None over a P5, and lost to an FCS school.
With that track record, it would stand to reason that perhaps given better talent, he could really make a name for himself. That's not what happened.

you'd love that, wouldn't you

He's gotta have some kind of man boobs under there. Where does all that sweat come from? How does he not have enough money from deodorant endorsements to retire?

He's basically a sweaty Shafer with a tie on who probably can recruit a bit better. For the last time, if you want to play offense in the dome, HIRE A GUY WHO HAS PROVEN HE CAN DO IT ELSEWHERE. Not come into a press conference saying that he is going to play an exciting brand of football on offense. I want to see a proven track record as a HC/ OC with a good system that is FREAKING tangible, not some made up nonsense.

DONT PISS DOWN MY BACK AND TELL ME IT's RAINING. We had to wait 3 years for Marrone to really figure it out, we don't want to wait for more bozo/ meatheads to figure out how to score points like the rest of college football seems to be able to do and we have a freaking QB already!

Nothing cheers me up more than reading all these posts about who the next coach ought to be.

If it were only that easy. Seems to me that things get worse as often as they get better.

There's a very long list of schools who tired of their coach and then sought to replace him with the current rising star only to end up in worse shape..

Sort of like Michigan and WVU's Rich Rodriguez. Or Maryland showing the door to Ralph Fridgeon to bring in rising star, Randy Edsall. Or Syracuse deep sixing Pasqualoni. Or UConn hiring Pasqualoni.

It's a giant crap shoot, gentlemen.

If we do fire HCSS, and I hope we don't, we ought to look at guys like Al Golden. The situation at Miami is enough different than it is at SU so that Golden might be successful here.

I thought it was stupid for SU not to consider O'Leary, ND hired him and than backed off because he lied on a resume. We could have ridden out whatever criticism we might have gotten.

I'm pretty sure that firing coach P wasnt the mistake there.

Nothing cheers me up more than reading all these posts about who the next coach ought to be.

If it were only that easy. Seems to me that things get worse as often as they get better.

There's a very long list of schools who tired of their coach and then sought to replace him with the current rising star only to end up in worse shape..

Sort of like Michigan and WVU's Rich Rodriguez. Or Maryland showing the door to Ralph Fridgeon to bring in rising star, Randy Edsall. Or Syracuse deep sixing Pasqualoni. Or UConn hiring Pasqualoni.

If we do fire HCSS, and I hope we don't, we ought to look at guys like Al Golden. The situation at Miami is enough different than it is at SU so that Golden might be successful here.

I thought it was stupid for SU not to consider O'Leary, ND hired him and than backed off because he lied on a resume. We could have ridden out whatever criticism we might have gotten.

All those guys you mentioned were proven winners who had won at the school and were having some down years. HCSS has had nothing but down years, and has proven nothing. Apples and oranges

Also, I probably would not have used Michigan as an example.

Al Golden

Sport(s) Football
Biographical details
Born
July 4, 1969 (age 46)
Colts Neck, New Jersey

Playing career
1987–1991
Penn State
1992 New England Patriots
Position(s) Tight end

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
Red Bank (NJ) Catholic HS (OC)
1994–1996 Virginia (GA)
1997–1999 Boston College (LB)
2000 Penn State (LB)
2001–2005 Virginia (DC)
2006–2010 Temple
2011–2015 Miami (FL)

Head coaching record
Overall
59–59
Bowls 0–3

Statistics

College Football Data Warehouse

Accomplishments and honors
Championships

MAC East Division (2009)

Awards

MAC Coach of the Year (2009)

I have the same problem I have with Lane Kiffin: if a guy coulnd't succeed at Tennessee, USC or in this case Miami, why does anybody think he'd succeed here?

Not being antagonistic, I actually want to be informed. In what ways was the Miami situation different than at SU? Both are relatively small private universities, both have a fair weather fan base, both offer average facilities (I know we have the new IPF, but we're late to that party.)
The only difference I see is that it's easier to succeed in Miami with it's insanely fertile recruiting ground in your back yard.

All those guys you mentioned were proven winners who had won at the school and were having some down years. HCSS has had nothing but down years, and has proven nothing. Apples and oranges

I'm not saying that HCSS is the guy long term.

But I am saying that you better be real sure he isn't because his replacement is just as likely to be worse than he is to be a marked improvement.

And it's not like SU is in great shape and can coast awhile, like when Pasqualoni took over. This is a high degree of difficulty job.

Many very good coaches struggled for a few years at the beginning of their tenures.

orangeinjersey said:

I get the negativity surrounding Shafer - but "nothing"?

You're crazy if you believe that. He's a really good DC and was really important to an semblance of success we had under Marrone.

Juries out on his time as HC and it's not looking good. But you're overstating things and it's not objective.

I have the same problem I have with Lane Kiffin: if a guy coulnd't succeed at Tennessee, USC or in this case Miami, why does anybody think he'd succeed here?

Tennessee isn't an easy job anymore. It's bottom of the conference in recruiting area. The boosters are insane. Miami also has it's own issues and fun picadillos.

I wouldn't be angry if we hired Golden. I really do think Miami was just the wrong location for him.

Momentum. Someone on the upswing, not sliding down the slope. Ability to coach up the kids and bring something marketable to the table. Sure we pay him. If Coyle can oversee Boise State's rise, he sure should be able to match it with a P5 ACC school, new IPF, possible $100 million dome renovation and more ACC revenue. I think Coyle can figger it out.

Tennessee isn't an easy job anymore. It's bottom of the conference in recruiting area. The boosters are insane. Miami also has it's own issues and fun picadillos.

I wouldn't be angry if we hired Golden. I really do think Miami was just the wrong location for him.
Why would it be a wrong location? It should be one of the easiest places to succeed.

Miami is not a good job at all. But that doesn't mean I would want him here.

Why would it be a wrong location? It should be one of the easiest places to succeed.

It's really not. It's a small private school that offers no support, is increasingly hyper sensitive to the idea of scandal after what happened with Shapiro, and is dealing with upheaval behind the scenes. The stadium situation is terrible, the Wall of Miami doesn't exist anymore, and the amount of alumni interference is off the charts.

It's really not. It's a small private school that offers no support, is increasingly hyper sensitive to the idea of scandal after what happened with Shapiro, and is dealing with upheaval behind the scenes. The stadium situation is terrible, the Wall of Miami doesn't exist anymore, and the amount of alumni interference is off the charts.
I understand that from a logistics standpoint it's about on par with Syracuse, but the fact remains that Miami pulls in top 25 recruiting classes nearly every year. Sometimes top 10, and due to all the things you've mentioned, I would chalk that up to easy access to recruits. That will not change, and is a HUGE advantage.

Wasn't part of his deal that he was a northeast / mid-Atlantic recruiting wiz?

I have no idea what Miami is like, but knowing Golden's rep it didn't seem like an obvious fit.

Bayside44 said:
Wasn't part of his deal that he was a northeast / mid-Atlantic recruiting wiz? I have no idea what Miami is like, but knowing Golden's rep it didn't seem like an obvious fit.
Miami's behavior was out of control and they liked that golden wore a tie like a dork

From the 2012-2015 classes, Golden brought 35 4 star or better players to Miami. 35. That would be third only to Clemson's 39 and FSU's 56!

Now granted I'm sure some of them didn't make it or left early, but still. But food for thought.