Al Golden? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Al Golden?

tep624 said:
From the 2012-2015 classes, Golden brought 35 4 star or better players to Miami. 35. That would be third only to Clemson's 39 and FSU's 56! Now granted I'm sure some of them didn't make it or left early, but still. But food for thought.

I'm told by some here that college football success is entirely about facilities and talent.

I assume I just missed the national titles Miami has won recently.

Giving up Shafer costs this class and the next, at least. Good for thought.

He's an excellent coach that went to the wrong place, IMO. He's very strong at recruiting NJ, PA, MD, VA, and DC. I know he's a "defensive guy" and that makes some go limp around here, but before you go cry in the corner their O has actually been pretty good the last few years.

In 12, 13, and 14 Miami's offense ranked 16, 16, and 11th in yards per play. Their FEI offensive efficiency (adjusted for strength of schedule, garbage time drives, etc) has been 25th, 16th, and 45th over the last 3 years as well.

He actually would be a decent fit here, IMO.

He's an excellent coach that went to the wrong place, IMO. He's very strong at recruiting NJ, PA, MD, VA, and DC. I know he's a "defensive guy" and that makes some go limp around here, but before you go cry in the corner their O has actually been pretty good the last few years.

In 12, 13, and 14 Miami's offense ranked 16, 16, and 11th in yards per play. Their FEI offensive efficiency (adjusted for strength of schedule, garbage time drives, etc) has been 25th, 16th, and 45th over the last 3 years as well.

Would be come as a DC?

I'm not saying that HCSS is the guy long term.

But I am saying that you better be real sure he isn't because his replacement is just as likely to be worse than he is to be a marked improvement.

And it's not like SU is in great shape and can coast awhile, like when Pasqualoni took over. This is a high degree of difficulty job.

Many very good coaches struggled for a few years at the beginning of their tenures.

Difference is you can look at a guy like Golden and see where he did well as a head coach.

You can't really do that with Shafer yet. I mean, yes, getting to 6 regular season wins was an achievement in 2013, but if he follows up a 3 win campaign with a 3 win campaign, where are we going, and what's the downside of replacing him? More 3 win campaigns? We survived it once, we'll do it again. Some of us (me) can't seem to find anything better to do anyway.

I wouldn't be leaping off any tall buildings if a guy like Golden came here. I do tend to worry that going to the wrong job and falling on his face can kill a guy's confidence.

I think it would be nuts for SU not to take one of the up and coming offensive minds out to drive. If his offense fails, at least you know you tried, and it's not the quick fix that many of us believe it could be...in a Dome.

A second straight 3 win season makes Coyle's job easier.

Difference is you can look at a guy like Golden and see where he did well as a head coach.

You can't really do that with Shafer yet. I mean, yes, getting to 6 regular season wins was an achievement in 2013, but if he follows up a 3 win campaign with a 3 win campaign, where are we going, and what's the downside of replacing him? More 3 win campaigns? We survived it once, we'll do it again. Some of us (me) can't seem to find anything better to do anyway.

I wouldn't be leaping off any tall buildings if a guy like Golden came here. I do tend to worry that going to the wrong job and falling on his face can kill a guy's confidence.

I think it would be nuts for SU not to take one of the up and coming offensive minds out to drive. If his offense fails, at least you know you tried, and it's not the quick fix that many of us believe it could be...in a Dome.

A second straight 3 win season makes Coyle's job easier.

I wasn't comparing HCSS to Golden. I was attempting to compare him to the yet-unidentified, up and coming offensive wizard you seem to suggest was out there.

I'd rather have someone who has succeeded in a similar situation and who had then taken a different job, even if he was unsuccessful at it. I put more weight on his success than on the possible wishful thinking about an unproven guy.

And this business about offense, offense, offense. I'm starting to think a sizeable portion of the SU fan base suffers from ADHD and can't watch the running game.

I actually read a post from somebody a few days ago comparing the SU passing game to the passing game he watches on Sundays.

Al Golden

Sport(s) Football
Biographical details
Born
July 4, 1969 (age 46)
Colts Neck, New Jersey

Playing career
1987–1991
Penn State
1992 New England Patriots
Position(s) Tight end

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
Red Bank (NJ) Catholic HS (OC)
1994–1996 Virginia (GA)
1997–1999 Boston College (LB)
2000 Penn State (LB)
2001–2005 Virginia (DC)
2006–2010 Temple
2011–2015 Miami (FL)

Head coaching record
Overall
59–59
Bowls 0–3

Statistics

College Football Data Warehouse

Accomplishments and honors
Championships

MAC East Division (2009)

Awards

MAC Coach of the Year (2009)
Perfect example of having an abundance of talent and doing nothing with it. A guy who routinely takes 4 & 5 star talent and loses...SU has 2 & 3 star talent that needs to be coached up to compete, I do not see how Golden's background matches with that reality.

If I were inclined to support Golden as a candidate (I'm not), I would point to last year and say, "That team should've been great. 11th in yards per play on offense, 15th on defense. That should be a national championship contender. They just had really bad turnover luck"

If I were going to interview Golden, I'd go through every single game of 2014 and he would need to come up with a damn good story for a how a team who had a 39% advantage in yards per play over their opponents ended up 6-7 and ended up 62nd in scoring

It's a What season. There is no way you end up 6-7 with that kind of per play yardage without some really meatheaded coaching

Wasn't Golden interested in the job back in 2009? Was there a reason why he didn't interview back then?

If I were inclined to support Golden as a candidate (I'm not), I would point to last year and say, "That team should've been great. 11th in yards per play on offense, 15th on defense. That should be a national championship contender. They just had really bad turnover luck"

If I were going to interview Golden, I'd go through every single game of 2014 and he would need to come up with a damn good story for a how a team who had a 39% advantage in yards per play over their opponents ended up 6-7 and ended up 62nd in scoring

It's a What season. There is no way you end up 6-7 with that kind of per play yardage without some really meatheaded coaching

And I think there were a ton of draft picks from that team as well. Strange because he did a nice job at Temple, coaching kids up and recruiting. I am not saying he was a savior but he looked pretty good

this isn't a gotcha question. how in the world did they have such a bad record last year? it's not like they lost 7 nailbiters. it's like they had 80 yard drives end in fumble return touchdowns every drive

And I think there were a ton of draft picks from that team as well. Strange because he did a nice job at Temple, coaching kids up and recruiting. I am not saying he was a savior but he looked pretty good
i look at it as, this guy had incredible talent last year, dominated teams, and found a way to have a losing season, i don't even care why, no one has that much bad luck, you must've goofed it up

Giving up Shafer costs this class and the next, at least. Good for thought.

I think, barring a great turnaround, keeping Shafer costs the rest of this recruiting cycle and the next. Which recruits that are in demand are signing up now with all the Shafer rumors?

i look at it as, this guy had incredible talent last year, dominated teams, and found a way to have a losing season, i don't even care why, no one has that much bad luck, you must've goofed it up

I would rather have Golden than Shafer or Edsall, not a ringing endorsement but that is about where I sit.

Wasn't Golden interested in the job back in 2009? Was there a reason why he didn't interview back then?

He interviewed. He had a major advocate and apparent friend here who thought he was gonna get it.

Then again I woke up this morning thinking Bud Black was gonna manage the Nats and now it's Dusty Baker.

I think, barring a great turnaround, keeping Shafer costs the rest of this recruiting cycle and the next. Which recruits that are in demand are signing up now with all the Shafer rumors?

Guys, I know people on the recruiting forum, like to puff their chests out, shotgun beers and do bicep curls all day when preaching about Shafer's recruiting prowess but he is consistently 2nd last to only Wake, the only team we seem to be able to beat in the ACC. He's not very good at that either, looks at the defense? Misfits everywhere. The stud RB that guys like averages the same YPC as the junior people want to run off the field.

Last edited:
i'd rather have a golden retriever as head coach than edsall. shafer and a golden are neck and neck

well said, I would quit if Edsall coached here, biggest douche in college football. Can't stand the guy

He interviewed. He had a major advocate and apparent friend here who thought he was gonna get it.

Then again I woke up this morning thinking Bud Black was gonna manage the Nats and now it's Dusty Baker.
Interesting. So if Marrone was the #4 choice (TGD had such a great eye for talent), I wonder if he finished behind Marrone or wanted too much to come here.

And this business about offense, offense, offense. I'm starting to think a sizeable portion of the SU fan base suffers from ADHD and can't watch the running game.

It's about trying to play to our advantages. We play in a Dome, and most of our away games are against teams below the Mason-Dixon line.

I'm told by some here that college football success is entirely about facilities and talent.

I assume I just missed the national titles Miami has won recently.
Miami is one of the only, maybe THE only exception to that rule. Again, it's due to the insanely high level of talent in their own back yard. If you could pick up the campus, and move it say, to Syracuse NY, and attempt to recruit the same players, they'd have as many national titles as we have in the last 30 years.

Bayside44 said:
He interviewed. He had a major advocate and apparent friend here who thought he was gonna get it. Then again I woke up this morning thinking Bud Black was gonna manage the Nats and now it's Dusty Baker.

Did he get an actual interview? I thought it was just feelers being put out.

Nick44 said:
Interesting. So if Marrone was the #4 choice (TGD had such a great eye for talent), I wonder if he finished behind Marrone or wanted too much to come here.

#3 but it makes no difference.

Did he get an actual interview? I thought it was just feelers being put out.

I thought I remembered JO stating that Golden thought he was gonna get named, but that was ages ago now. :noidea: