Alex Hayes & Corey Cooper commits | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alex Hayes & Corey Cooper commits

Coaches of some very big programs strongly disagree with you. I'm sure you know more than they do, though.
I belive Cooper became a hot commodity due to some camps. After 15 years of coaching HS Football I am sure I know as much as most.

When did you see him play - last season or before?

The past two years. I am not saying he is horrible like the ledge jumpers on here are overreacting to, I am just saying temper your enthusiasm he does not seem like a game changer and I am a little surprised he was taken from a top 50 program. He seems a tad shy of 6' but looks like he has good speed with average hands.

I belive Cooper became a hot commodity due to some camps. After 15 years of coaching HS Football I am sure I know as much as most.

So you know more than the coaches at LVille, Okie State, Miami FL, UNC, NC State, Pitt, South Carolina and Tennessee ... I'll give you the fact that you would know more than Edsell at UM. But based on the list of offers and who made them you insist he is not a D1 talent? He has SEC offers ... even if they were conditional the kid is obviously no slouch.

In somewhat defense of the NC coach here, I recall a WR in the Harrisburg area who had tons of major offers and he did have a very good QB throwing the ball. I was excited to go watch him play, and when I did watch his game I came away totally unimpressed. Dude didn't go out on routes if he was not supposed to get the ball, didn't block, and was not open all game long. If I was not monitoring him specifically I would not have noticed him on the field. End story was that he never made an impact at his school of choice, Va. Tech. Sidenote: he actually had to go to Milford before Va. Tech.

With that being said, I am just a fan and was not the coach of the opposing team. One would think that a coach should do the proper scouting and know who the primetime players are for the team he is playing against - and I think that's where the aforementioned "scouting" burn appropriately comes into play.

I am reviewing our game against him to see if I just forgot and I have seen very little from him so far. Some OK runs after some hitches but every team did that against our Defense. We were very green this year playing a lot of 10th and some 9th graders.

So you know more than the coaches at LVille, Okie State, Miami FL, UNC, NC State, Pitt, South Carolina and Tennessee ... I'll give you the fact that you would know more than Edsell at UM. But based on the list of offers and who made them you insist he is not a D1 talent? He has SEC offers ... even if they were conditional the kid is obviously no slouch.
He did not receive offers from all those teams just interest. Those reports are alway exaggerated. That is a HUGE difference.

In somewhat defense of the NC coach here, I recall a WR in the Harrisburg area who had tons of major offers and he did have a very good QB throwing the ball. I was excited to go watch him play, and when I did watch his game I came away totally unimpressed. Dude didn't go out on routes if he was not supposed to get the ball, didn't block, and was not open all game long. If I was not monitoring him specifically I would not have noticed him on the field. End story was that he never made an impact at his school of choice, Va. Tech. Sidenote: he actually had to go to Milford before Va. Tech.

With that being said, I am just a fan and was not the coach of the opposing team. One would think that a coach should do the proper scouting and know who the primetime players are for the team he is playing against - and I think that's where the aforementioned "scouting" burn appropriately comes into play.

How? He wasn't much of a factor. We knew he was a good player but again I was really unimpressed by him and am surprised that he was offered by top tier teams. Where did I write that I did not know about him? On edit I stand corrected. I reread what I wrote...
Based on his play I did not see a D I player out of him.

How? He wasn't much of a factor. We knew he was a good player but again I was really unimpressed by him and am surprised that he was offered by top tier teams. Where did I write that I did not know about him? On edit I stand corrected. I reread what I wrote...
Based on his play I did not see a D I player out of him.
Ok, then I certainly understand that. It did at first seem like you meant that you did not know about him going into the game. I can see coming out of the game not noticing his impact. Let's hope that he just had a bad game!

I am curious WHEN you saw him - a a senior or before? Makes a big difference if it was not most recent season.

He did not receive offers from all those teams just interest. Those reports are alway exaggerated. That is a HUGE difference.

Even if only half are true that is still a great list and he was indeed an LVille verbal so again he very well could be a D1 caliber player. And there are many situations that could have caused you to see him in a different light for one game be it injury or other reasons where coaches who are paid to recruit him and watch multiple seasons of video on a kid or multiple games live would see him being a D1 caliber WR. However I fully admit the truth could be somewhere in the middle ... where he would be ideal for an FCS squad not a FBS squad ... I'll error on the side of caution and be happy that our staff pulled a perceived coup.

how did the RB they had the year before look that was one of the top 5 rb in the country? he had BCS offers as a JR on a team that never threw the ball because of marshall being so good and he committed in July and you never knew about him?

Well, so much for being excited about the recruits. Apparently Cooper is a huge project with only offers from the likes of James Madison and Stony Brook.

Nothing to see here! Move along!

Even if only half are true that is still a great list and he was indeed an LVille verbal so again he very well could be a D1 caliber player. And there are many situations that could have caused you to see him in a different light for one game be it injury or other reasons where coaches who are paid to recruit him and watch multiple seasons of video on a kid or multiple games live would see him being a D1 caliber WR. However I fully admit the truth could be somewhere in the middle ... where he would be ideal for an FCS squad not a FBS squad ... I'll error on the side of caution and be happy that our staff pulled a perceived coup.
I watched his game from last year, his 4 or 5 games prior to ours including scrimmages plus his season the year before. Again, a good player but not a stud to be blown away from. Again from what I have heard he did very well in camps and that could definitely be a difference maker. I hope he becomes an out and out stud for us. I really do. I also hope that he is used better than his coaches used him. He did have 500 yd receiving this past year which is nothing to sniff at but again when we played them the year before and Keith Marshal had the ball we knew he was the best player on the field and a stud recruit. When my old teams played against Kadeem Carey we knew he was going to be a beast in college aloong with Kris O'Dowd and others.

how did the RB they had the year before look that was one of the top 5 rb in the country? he had BCS offers as a JR on a team that never threw the ball because of marshall being so good and he committed in July and you never knew about him?
I think I wrote my post as poorly as you just wrote this one. again. Cooper was one of Millbrook's best players but he certainly based on in game play did not show top tier D I play IMHO. He has good speed but hardly a game changer. I was and am still surprised by he being considered such a top recruit. He definitely is college football material but I am thinking that teams are looking at his speed and his camp more than anything else.

I think I wrote my post as poorly as you just wrote this one. again. Cooper was one of Millbrook's best players but he certainly based on in game play did not show top tier D I play IMHO. He has good speed but hardly a game changer. I was and am still surprised by he being considered such a top recruit. He definitely is college football material but I am thinking that teams are looking at his speed and his camp more than anything else.
Don't take this the wrong way but you are fighting a no-win battle now so stop as the more you comment the more people are going to pile on.

Fact is that most WR recruits are going to be judged more by camps and measureables because the overwhelming majority of HS QBs can barely (ok - too strong but not too far off - above average speed guys are not going to maximize themselves when the QB can't hit them in stride) throw. I don't care if you are in TX, NY or ND - most HSs are not running Peyton Manning out there so no matter how good or bad the WRs are - no one can tell from most game film.

I watched his game from last year, his 4 or 5 games prior to ours including scrimmages plus his season the year before. Again, a good player but not a stud to be blown away from. Again from what I have heard he did very well in camps and that could definitely be a difference maker. I hope he becomes an out and out stud for us. I really do. I also hope that he is used better than his coaches used him. He did have 500 yd receiving this past year which is nothing to sniff at but again when we played them the year before and Keith Marshal had the ball we knew he was the best player on the field and a stud recruit. When my old teams played against Kadeem Carey we knew he was going to be a beast in college aloong with Kris O'Dowd and others.

Fair enough ... I think it is premature either way to discern whether he is a true D1 talent or not ... like you said we can hope.

I bought my high school players to a NC football conference, and cooper blew people out of the water there. His measurables and ball catching was top notch. I told some of my other staff members Syracuse got a commitment out if him and they were blown away that he was going to Syracuse. Our head coach has heard the "triangle trio" was making a push for him. I coach 30 minutes outside of Raleigh and in a different division, so we didn't play against him, but his combine numbers were very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like how this board hopes for informed posters who have seen these players play, but if your a coach who coached against him and said he didn't impress, you don't know anything about football!

I also enjoy how people who haven't seen him play are so quick to dismiss someone who has.

Regardless of any other offers, he was a verbal to L'ville and a Semper Fi All American. That's good enough for me. Charlie Strong knows his stuff when it comes to recruiting. And I've seen photos of him in his Semper Fi uniform so I know he didn't make that up.

I like how this board hopes for informed posters who have seen these players play, but if your a coach who coached against him and said he didn't impress, you don't know anything about football!

I also enjoy how people who haven't seen him play are so quick to dismiss someone who has.

tep's post pretty much sums it up for me ... again I have not seen him play but those who are pros at finding talent did and thought he was worthy of a scholly ... I would consider him a D1 worthy talent at that point. That is all I am saying ... to say that he isn't would contradict what we have seen with regards to his recruitment would it not?

Agree completely. It's pretty b.s. that people are piling on his impression from coaching against the kid. Absolutely ridiculous. He never implied that he was better at judging talent than Strong, he was simply giving his personal impression from what he personally witnessed. Unbelievable.

Put yourself in the same situation, you coach against a player that all of a sudden commits to the college you follow. At no point from game tape or in the game did the player stand out above and beyond any other player. You then post on a message board what your opinion is WITHOUT even trying to blast the kid, purely your opinion and you get attacked for it.

:bat:

tep's post pretty much sums it up for me ... again I have not seen him play but those who are pros at finding talent did and thought he was worthy of a scholly ... I would consider him a D1 worthy talent at that point. That is all I am saying ... to say that he isn't would contradict what we have seen with regards to his recruitment would it not?
All I know about either onr is their videos which wevall know isn't conclusive either way. I like the other schools interested in Corey.Both will contribute

To be honest, we have no idea if he is a BCS level D-1 player. I am excited for him, don't get me wrong, just like every player that signs with Syracuse. But, most of us will not have an idea on just how good that player is until he sets foot on campus.

But, if this was Tomcat talking about a NY player, there wouldn't be near the same blowback.