Alex Hayes & Corey Cooper commits | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Alex Hayes & Corey Cooper commits

I am debating posting any more to this but I heard some unfortunate news this weekend from some area coaches connected to Millbrook.

recruiting is a ugly ugly business. I wish I could simply be ignorant until signing day... It must be a nightmare for these coaches to grind it out every year on the whims of 18 year olds.

recruiting is a ugly ugly business. I wish I could simply be ignorant until signing day... It must be a nightmare for these coaches to grind it out every year on the whims of 18 year olds.

Cooper was tweeting with Johnson about coming up for his Spring Break in April so it's not that. My guess is that our friend is probably going to say he has academic issues. If so, hello Milford and room for one more at the inn.

thats not a bad thing. was not going to see the field this year anyway.

Sorry about the delay but some of us actually work...
It is academics. From what I gathered Louisville pulled their offer due to grades and he might not qualify. I don't like speculating but the source is a good friend and has close ties with the HS so I thought I'd share. Many in the area could use a year of learning how to learn before college anyway. Then again many on here do not care what others say or know they are going to believe what they want anyway.

It is academics. From what I gathered Louisville pulled their offer due to grades and he might not qualify. I don't like speculating but the source is a good friend and has close ties with the HS so I thought I'd share. Many in the area could use a year of learning how to learn before college anyway. Then again many on here do not care what others say or know they are going to believe what they want anyway.
L'ville pulled their offer based on grades and SU did not? Sounds suspicious to me. Much tougher admissions standards at SU than L'ville.

Are you talking about NCAA qualifications?

L'ville pulled their offer based on grades and SU did not? Sounds suspicious to me. Much tougher admissions standards at SU than L'ville.

Yeah - there has to be some minimum transcript review, SAT, etc. due diligence before he can even get an offer no? I.E. if he did not qualify, there would not be an offer...

Could be we offered knowing he wasn't going to qualify, think we did the same with Broyld a few years ago. If he does have a qualifying issue, the fact that we're going to accept a LOI from would make me think its a Milford issue and not a JUCO issue, if there is an issue.

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully it's just a semester of prep school and he'll be here in January of 2014.

Could be we offered knowing he wasn't going to qualify, think we did the same with Broyld a few years ago. If he does have a qualifying issue, the fact that we're going to accept a LOI from would make me think its a Milford issue and not a JUCO issue, if there is an issue.

could be why we have so many offers, and took 3 WR's? this would be tough though because once they go into Milford you almost never here about them (Milford blackout), and sometimes never see them again.

Don't sweat it - thanks for sharing!

As for the potential of Cooper going to Milford, it seems like SU has about just a little over 50% success rate in keeping the commits that go to Milford recently.

Keeps: Ashton Broyld, Dyshawn Davis, Jeremiah Kobena, Myles Davis, Jermaine Pierce

Losses (Never Haves): Myles Hilliard, Romale Tucker, Tyree Smallwood, Matt Jones, and the infamous Andrey Baskin.

NOTE: We also got Mikhail Marinovich from Milford, but he was not committed to 'Cuse prior to attending Milford.

could be why we have so many offers, and took 3 WR's? this would be tough though because once they go into Milford you almost never here about them (Milford blackout), and sometimes never see them again.
That's not true. Milford has been very good to us.

As for the potential of Cooper going to Milford, it seems like SU has about just a little over 50% success rate in keeping the commits that go to Milford recently.

Keeps: Ashton Broyld, Dyshawn Davis, Jeremiah Kobena, Myles Davis, Jermaine Pierce

Losses (Never Haves): Myles Hilliard, Romale Tucker, Tyree Smallwood, Matt Jones, and the infamous Andrey Baskin.

NOTE: We also got Mikhail Marinovich from Milford, but he was not committed to 'Cuse prior to attending Milford.
Every case you cited was grade related with the possible exception of Jones.

Tucker made it to SU but transferred out.

Rarely has SU lost a kid to another school. Coach Chaplick is pretty good about getting the kids to honor their original commitment.

If a kid spends one or two semesters at Milford and he still can't qualify ... that's a different story.

That's not true. Milford has been very good to us.

if 50% is good? all i am saying is i would love to definitely have this kid on the team without having to wait a year with a chance of him not coming for some reason or the other

if 50% is good? all i am saying is i would love to definitely have this kid on the team without having to wait a year with a chance of him not coming for some reason or the other
Where did you come up with 50%?

Where did you come up with 50%?
He may have been looking at my post - now with the Tucker correction the success rate is 60%, whether it's on the student academically or whether the student commits to a different school following his time at Milford, 60% is the recent success rate of keeping commits after they attend Milford.

This is from a 2012 ESPN article on Cooper...

"With his earlier receiving totals and improved quarterback play, Inscore expects Cooper to become the school's all-time leading receiver in 2012. Continuing to improve his academics will make him an even more coveted prospect."

So there might be an academic issue. We will know soon enough.

He may have been looking at my post - now with the Tucker correction the success rate is 60%, whether it's on the student academically or whether the student commits to a different school following his time at Milford, 60% is the recent success rate of keeping commits after they attend Milford.

A kid not qualifying to play anywhere and a kid qualifying but deciding to go somewhere else are two different situations. That 60% means nothing.

Reality is that a lot of kids that go the prep route are there for a reason and while many have D1 caliber talent, that doesn't always equate to having your head on straight or even being college-capable.

Some attrition from commits in prep never making to campus is to be expected.

A kid not qualifying to play anywhere and a kid qualifying but deciding to go somewhere else are two different situations. That 60% means nothing.

While they are certainly 2 different situations, they are both part of that 60%.
In all of those cases, we had hopes that the player would make it to Syracuse the following year. 40% of the time, they did not.
The 60% still means something - it means that we had roughly 10 guys committed who went to Milford, and 6 of those guys eventually ended up on the SU roster.

I'm not saying that it's Syracuse's fault or Milford's fault when it is on the student to obtain eligibility - and I'm definitely not trying to be a Debbie Downer or anything. I'm really pulling hard for any 'Cuse commit who attends prep school to stay committed AND to do the work necessary to make it to the next level.

In hindsight: I should not have originally labeled it as Syracuse's success rate, but should have labeled it as the students' success rate in making it from Milford to Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom