Almost exactly 10 years ago... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Almost exactly 10 years ago...

I still remember seeing Hak in the Dome on his visit. He was walking with Damone Brown (if memory serves, though I could be wrong...it was a looooong time ago), and it looked like someone had photoshopped a 12 year old's face onto a 6-8 body.

Well, I know we had him at the chat...I was in the chat so I remember that part pretty well. I just had no idea that the SU coaches were apparently keeping tabs on it at the same time.

Yes, there was someone from SU in the chat -- with the expressed purpose of learning Hodge's decision. It is a crazy piece of SU basketball history.

There were two back-to-back events that drove me away from one of the old boards: the 62-0 VT drubbing in football, and the Julius Hodge announcement.

Dark days on the board...

The VT drubbing almost led to a broken hand from constantly walking down the hall in Sadler, into the lounge, and punching this metal plate on the wall in there. I think I must have punched that thing at least 15 times during that game.

Funny how the Law of Unintended Consequences works.
If we'd have gotten Hodge who's to say Melo would've come, since their games were so similar? Hak's low-post back-to-the-basket PF game fit better obviously, with Melo's prototype SF.
Great stories, guys. ;)

That may be one of the most depressing things I've ever seen in print. And hilarious.

Saddest press conferences I ever saw where the ones where a kid announced at ABCD camp.

They would bring the kid up to the media room and set him up at a table where he made the announcement to a group of internet media types who were facing the other direction. They would set up a table behind us, the kid would announce, and then the card table would go away.

The funniest 'press conference' there was Allen Ray's. He announced he was going to "the University of Villanova" in front of me and a handful of people who were eating sandwiches. We might have turned in our seats for about 20 seconds to let the kid blurt out that one sentence.

There were no questions at the Q&A session, just chewing.

I was here before you were!

AC, Rossco was around the boards loooong before you. You were probably still in elementary school.

As for Bees' source, the Maryland Mole, he or she has proved to be incredibly accurate, not only with SU to the ACC, which we now know was a done deal the first time around until greater forces intervened, but he also had Gary Williams' retirement, albeit a year late but he still had it, and, most importantly, gave Bees the scoop on the move to superconferences, telling him two years ago about talks he knew going on to consolidate the major conferences into 4 or 5 leagues of 14 - 16 teams, which is obviously the direction things have gone. Rick has taken some uninformed about the Mole but the truth is his source was right about everything he told him.

Wow time flys. I remember the mole.That guys name was popping up everywhere.Hard to believe just 10 yrs ago texting and internets wasn't widespread like today.And in my personal opinion twittering is so stupid.Or maybe i am stupid cause i don't understand it.When i read a tweets it looks some kind of hidden messgae or secret code or something..

Wow time flys. I remember the mole.That guys name was popping up everywhere.Hard to believe just 10 yrs ago texting and internets wasn't widespread like today.And in my personal opinion twittering is so stupid.Or maybe i am stupid cause i don't understand it.When i read a tweets it looks some kind of hidden messgae or secret code or something..
And i was so excited we was getting Hodge and then BAM.Felt like the rest of the day.I couldn't post on the other site though because i was blacklisted like 10- 15 yrs ago and i think i still am,lol.Back then blacklisting was the in thing to do.Especially in coach P's last days. oops this post and that post was to be one.Oh well,now its 2.

Too darn quickly if you ask me.

I only remember it so well because I was in the same high school and college class as those guys. I clearly remember getting home from practice and dialing up some sort of phone news service that the Post-Standard offered in that technologically slower era. I got to learn from Mike Waters that Hodge was going to State.

I was shocked; after his official visit a couple weeks before (some fans at the football game had a big sign that said "Fab Four Needs One More"), I thought we were a lock to get a New York kid. Wrong. And soon to be very happy about it.
Oh my gosh. the phone dialing thingy.I so forgot about that,lol. I done that a couple times.Thank god for the internets.

I got to St. Ray early for the press conference and reported to the school's office - DeCesare came down to get me.

The press conference started a little late because they were waiting for a lunch period so that the school kids could come down to the gym and serve as an audience for the announcement. DeCesare and I talked in the gym for a few minutes and then he said he was bringing me up to meet the Hodges. So we went to the suite above the court - for the next hour or so, I sat on a couch with the Hodges chatting and watching daytime TV talkshows.

Fish: Are you sure you didn't tell the kid that if he wasn't going to UConn that he should go to an ACC school. Seriously though, it always surprises me when these NYC kids pick the ACC or elsewhere. Obviously a lot of factors come into play, but you would think that playing in front of your friends and family would rank up there as being important. That's what scares me a little bit with Coleman. I've said this all along. He either wants to stay home and play in front of his hometown or he doesn't. There is no in between.

I remember that was when I first stumbled onto these SU boards. I have since wasted many hours of my life here.

I tried 1,ooo times to get back on the old board from getting blacklisted.But my begging fell on def ears.Though i did say lots of bad things about coach P way back then.Glad we moved to here.Because 15 yrs later i am still blacklisted over there.

I tried 1,ooo times to get back on the old board from getting blacklisted.But my begging fell on def ears.Though i did say lots of bad things about coach P way back then.Glad we moved to here.Because 15 yrs later i am still blacklisted over there.

What was your handle there?

The coaching staff still develops their game plans and player rotations from reading the evaluations posted here....true story.

LOL.

What was your handle there?
same as here.i posted to you and temery or fishy. i think i might have even asked CTO.But i never got back in. Mind you, this was many years ago.Them were my younger and drunker days.I said lots of stupid drunk people stuff,lol.

same as here.i posted to you and temery or fishy. i think i might have even asked CTO.But i never got back in. Mind you, this was many years ago.Them were my younger and drunker days.I said lots of stupid drunk people stuff,lol.

Don't recall that handle at all. Good chance it wasn't me then. None of us ever undid banning's or post deletions that others did and there were 7 of us.

It was during P's last couple yrs here.I was on the board almost since its inception.
didn't post much unless i was drinking,lol.I'm not much of an x and o guy.So all my posts are pretty much meaningless anyway.

With Hodge, I don't think SU wins the National Title in 2003! He was a me first player IMO and Melo would have been second fiddle to him. The one thing I sometimes wonder is if Hodge would be a better player in the pros if he went to SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom