Am I too hrash on our fan base??? | Syracusefan.com

Am I too hrash on our fan base???

There will always be the naysayers. Name some of the best players we ever had at SU and somebody will have something negative to say. -----Melo doesn't play team ball. ---- DC and Billy O were lazy. ----- Pearl didn't want to work hard enough to make it in the NBA. ---Blah, blah, blah, anyone else they can find a problem with.
These folks never want to talk about the positives. They must lead a sad life and want everyone else to see the negatives they see in it.

Yes you are too hard on our fan base. Also this board does not represent the fan base. It may represent the die hard fanatics but all fanatics are unreasonable and irrational! Myself included!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

There is definitely a difference between offering well constructed criticism based on statistics and facts and just generally being a negative downer.

As fans we all want the same thing....success. Everyone defines success in a different way. Some see success as cutting down the nets on the first Monday in April, sending each player who comes through to the NBA and never being criticized in the media for how our program and players conduct themselves ie. nothing less than perfection will do. Others want those things but are willing to acknowledge that something significantly less than perfection can define a successful season/program as well.

Ultimately criticism is ok if it is well reasoned, offered in a constructive rather than negative fashion and the fans offering it do so from the perspective that there is much right as well. I think most of the folks here think in this way.....well except for the day of and day after a loss.

I think most of our fans are negative, and only like us when we win? People still complain about Triche and MCW, and say boeheim has no control. thoughts?

People from NY are negative? That is shocking!

I'll just spread the tees around. I hope that helps. But I really think we're all coming around. Positive vibrations help.

tee - Copy (4).jpg

I don't think you are describing our fan base as a whole, but more so the fair weather fan portion of it. Which for whatever reason is a big part of it, especially for football

Your describing the downfall of our society in general. In the 1980's-1990's the American public loved to build people up and love a la the Michael Jordan's, Joe Montana's, Cal Ripken's, Wayne Gretzky's of sports and be positive about the players and their teams. Nowadays the public and sports fans love to tear people with 24/7 newscycles like Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Michael Vick, Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Sydney Crosby etc. As a result, most fanbases are equally overtly negative. Syracuse fans are no different than LA Laker, New England Patriot, Pittsburgh Penguin, Alabama football, Kentucky basketball fans.
Bill Simmons in his book talked about how Kobe Bryant was no different in the stuff he did with the diva attitude that Michael Jordan did in the 1980s the only difference was the public loved to build people up to love back then versus today they love to tear you down and make you disliked. I agree and that is why I just ignore the negativity if I think its unjust.

Gilardino, no matter how great a fan base might be, there are always people who like to goad and complain. We all have a responsibility to become the change we are looking for. Although you are correct in your perceptions that some people are negative, try not to give those people any energy at all.

I have a brother who likes to go on creationist boards and argue with them. (Why???) He's also a Duke fan. Go figure. There is the universal "law" that like attracts like. I think for the most part, that is the purpose of this board. And the board seems to be getting better and better. (Or is that just me? Ha ha!) I cannot tell you how many times I have used the information on this board to positive effect with the casual fan. And, of course, Tee is doing what he can with his positive reinforcements! :)

I'm not trying to say that "good" fans can't complain or be disappointed. Of course we can. But it's how we express those feelings that is so very important. This was a good topic to bring up, and I'm glad you did.

It's probably always a bad idea to make broad generalizations about a huge group of very different people with very different ways of thinking about things. And, it's probably easy to be 'disappointed by a "fanbase"' if you expect the experience to always be unrealistically positive. People who want/expect objectivity rather than a pep club will appreciate both sides of the coin.

"Fair weather?" I don't see a conflict with being able to be objective or even critical of something and still being passionate and supportive of it.

There are certain individuals who write negative- bordering on nasty bits about our players. I don't ever feel that way about the kids. But, i don't question the love those individuals may still have for the team. Some people are just either 'unpleasant' or simply express themselves in an unpleasant manner when they feel the comfort of internet anonymity. Whatever. It's 2000-something. We have to deal with that until there's a mandatory high school Internet Comportment Class. Even then, though, just like English, students will fail it, forget it, or disregard it.

I know the guy I work with says he hates cuse when we lose loves us when we win and is saying that MCW sucks and won't do anything I the nba...

Cuse is one of the best traveling teams in the NCAA. People complain because they care. When they stop, that's the time to get worried.

Using a wrestling heel analogy for SU athletics. I like.

Your describing the downfall of our society in general. In the 1980's-1990's the American public loved to build people up and love a la the Michael Jordan's, Joe Montana's, Cal Ripken's, Wayne Gretzky's of sports and be positive about the players and their teams. Nowadays the public and sports fans love to tear people with 24/7 newscycles like Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Michael Vick, Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Sydney Crosby etc. As a result, most fanbases are equally overtly negative. Syracuse fans are no different than LA Laker, New England Patriot, Pittsburgh Penguin, Alabama football, Kentucky basketball fans.
Bill Simmons in his book talked about how Kobe Bryant was no different in the stuff he did with the diva attitude that Michael Jordan did in the 1980s the only difference was the public loved to build people up to love back then versus today they love to tear you down and make you disliked. I agree and that is why I just ignore the negativity if I think its unjust.

In fairness, Kobe may very well have raped a woman, Michael Vick committed horrible atrocities towards dogs, and Ryan Braun, A-Rod and Barry Bonds are cheaters. Lebron and Crosby, though, are good guys and I agree get hated for no good reason other than the fact they're awesome.

Model citizens today like Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter and Tim Duncan get respected as such.

I do feel with cuse fans, they show a lot of anger, mona, whine, trihe sucks, etc, my point if its that ba, don;t watch. And tehre are fans who would rather see us lose so they look like a genius

I think you must hang around the wrong people. Although there are a few negative folks that post here, EVERY SU fan that I know personally (and that is a lot) is gung-ho about the team and never waivers.

it doesn't help i listen to cal in radio shows either, cause man they come out after every loss!!!

I'll be honest, I'm a fanatic. I go into every game wanting to win and expecting to win. When we lose I am very bummed in the heat of the moment and it generally ruins my day, even longer as the stakes get higher. It's probably increabibly sad from an outside prospective but it's what I enjoy. So when we lose I may overreact a bit and be a little negative because I know we are are capable of playing better than we did and I dont like losing! Heck, were Syracuse University Danmit! haha I'm just rambiling, but those are my 2 cents.

personally, I think there are more - a lot more - Pollyannas in our fanbase than there are Cassandras

Some of this may be a result of how wide the gulf has become between the average fan and his standard of living and the average pro player's.

When ARod (to say nothing of the average guy) draws down $25-$30 million per year and that causes my tix to be $100 plus a pop, my beer to be $8-$10 and so on and so on....he damn well better to a bit better than hit .272 with 18 home runs and 57 RBIs.

As fans we are paying more and more for the privilege of being a fan, maybe we have a right to be more demanding of the players and coaches that are causing the escalation in everything we pay for??

I think there are many diehards in the area. When games are at the Dome (or the Final Four i.e. student section), our fans really do not get INTO the game like the Michigan fans did that April night.

The fan base has a fair share of "Pollyanna" and "comment after every Syracuse.com article" type...both can be irritating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom