Amba Etta-Day2 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Amba Etta-Day2

So if Amba put up such big numbers with us last year but isn't worthy of being drafted, does that mean his numbers were the product of Baber's system - and maybe our #1 receiver this year will put up similar numbers?

My impression had been that we lucked out obtaining Amba just when he was about to blossom but maybe he was the one who lucked out.

So if Amba put up such big numbers with us last year but isn't worthy of being drafted, does that mean his numbers were the product of Baber's system - and maybe our #1 receiver this year will put up similar numbers?

My impression had been that we lucked out obtaining Amba just when he was about to blossom but maybe he was the one who lucked out.

I see it as more so the NFL looked at his full body of work. Lots of drops and inconsistency for 3 years and then a break out year which was great, BUT then he had a so-so combine and senior bowl while dealing with a broken finger didn't get to put much out there. I thought for sure he would have gone in the 7th round, but to many unanswered questions it would seem.
I'm sure our #1 WR will but up numbers close to ET this year and they might not get drafted as well. Anytime a WR or QB's name came from our style of offense school all the mouthpieces at ESPN would start yelling SYSTEM NUMBERS. I still feel the NFL over looks a lot of kids in our style of offenses.

I see it as more so the NFL looked at his full body of work. Lots of drops and inconsistency for 3 years and then a break out year which was great, BUT then he had a so-so combine and senior bowl while dealing with a broken finger didn't get to put much out there. I thought for sure he would have gone in the 7th round, but to many unanswered questions it would seem.
I'm sure our #1 WR will but up numbers close to ET this year and they might not get drafted as well. Anytime a WR or QB's name came from our style of offense school all the mouthpieces at ESPN would start yelling SYSTEM NUMBERS. I still feel the NFL over looks a lot of kids in our style of offenses.

They ding the system for "poor route running"... which begs the question: How do they catch so many balls?

You're being too binary. I think it was the system needed talent and the talent needed the system/coaching. Both were "lucky."

The numbers you get from a system will get you a look , but you have to be fundamentally sound and I guess he wasn't . It's a shame coz this hurts our recruiting pitch . our system let's a lot of guys look better than they are this was proof . Babers guys always put up numbers now when you get REAL DEAL talent out there plus the system that's when we will turn the corner . Cuse has been starved for so long you have fallen in love with any kind of sucesss which is understandable. Hold on Babers guys are coming .

Yeah, I agree with this. Very inconsistent player who honestly never really "jumped out" at me on the screen. Babers coached some great WRs at Baylor too and there was no hesistation in drafting them because of the system, imo. Gordon was obviously a supplemental pick because of character issues. If anything, because of Babers' history in developing some high draft WR picks, it speaks volumes about what the NFL consensus seemed to think about Amba. Still, Allen Hurns and many others have been undrafted gems. If Amba can clean up his issues, show that often he was a gamer, and work hard, then he should hopefully stick.

The numbers you get from a system will get you a look , but you have to be fundamentally sound and I guess he wasn't . It's a shame coz this hurts our recruiting pitch . our system let's a lot of guys look better than they are this was proof . Babers guys always put up numbers now when you get REAL DEAL talent out there plus the system that's when we will turn the corner . Cuse has been starved for so long you have fallen in love with any kind of sucesss which is understandable. Hold on Babers guys are coming .

If we have a system that makes players look like superstars when they weren't, I'm a happy guy. ;)

Really good post and I agree with just about everything you said. The only thing I doubt is that the NFL cares at all about what the analysts at ESPN (or any other media center) think.

Really good post and I agree with just about everything you said. The only thing I doubt is that the NFL cares at all about what the analysts at ESPN (or any other media center) think.
100% agree just spewning my frustration after 3 days of listening to them :D

Reactions: 007
His lack of speed hurts him. In the NFL you need to be able to separate from CB's. Still think he goes in Rd 7, lots of picks left.

What? He ran a 4.5. Lack of speed? There have been plenty of guys drafted slower than that. There are only a select group of receivers that take the top of a defense. Come on. AET has plenty of speed.

while its ponderous to me that a guy with tape like EAT's '17, esp playing against some quality defenders (a bunch of dbacks he faced just got drafted) and when he was clearly the focus of D gameplanning doesn't get drafted when players from lesser programs/leagues did, there is a 100% positive spin Dino can use to sell to high level WR prospects. If a kid who doesn't get even get drafted can put up these numbers, what kind of stats you you be able to put up mr. high level recruit?

now, if the next few years go by and the kids continue to put up outstanding numbers and still don't get love from the league, then recruiting craters for top kids.

They ding the system for "poor route running"... which begs the question: How do they catch so many balls?
Because at the end of the day, these kids are playing college football. In the NFL, if your route isn't spot on, it's getting picked off or it's incomplete.

I think there is a lot of validity to what you say. There was some skepticism about AET based upon his first three years, and teams weren't sure what to make of his surge in production--was it legit, or a system based thing?

He had an opportunity to dispel many of those concerns at the Senior Bowl, but then broke his finger. Might have made a mistake trying to tough things out [which I fully understand him trying to do], because he reportedly had lots of drops during practice week, which is not what teams want to see.

Then, he went to the combine and again struggled with drops. Right, wrong, or indifferent -- the Senior Bowl and Combine performances hurt his draft stock significantly. That he underperformed at both sent a bad message to teams.

And this is from somebody who thought AET was a lock to go in the first three rounds during the season. I would be surprised if he doesn't make an NFL roster, just wish he could have gotten drafted to have his moment.

Because at the end of the day, these kids are playing college football. In the NFL, if your route isn't spot on, it's getting picked off or it's incomplete.

Right. My point isn't that it's not important in the NFL.

Let's get at it this way:

NFL team wants WR to be a good NFL route runner. Nothing wrong with that.
College team wants to win games and does so however they see fit. Nothing wrong with that.
NFL team dings WR for not being a good NFL route runner. Nothing wrong with that - it's true according to their standards.
College player wasn't being trained to be a good NFL route runner, but to be an important cog on a winning college team. Nothing wrong with that. Player did his job according to his coaches standard.
NFL takes a guy who runs good NFL routes over a guy who is faster, taller, better production, etc. This is what I have a problem with. The NFL should see route running as a teachable skill since college isn't teaching it to their standards. Not as a relatively fixed metric like height or 40 time.

Right. My point isn't that it's not important in the NFL.

Let's get at it this way:

NFL team wants WR to be a good NFL route runner. Nothing wrong with that.
College team wants to win games and does so however they see fit. Nothing wrong with that.
NFL team dings WR for not being a good NFL route runner. Nothing wrong with that - it's true according to their standards.
College player wasn't being trained to be a good NFL route runner, but to be an important cog on a winning college team. Nothing wrong with that. Player did his job according to his coaches standard.
NFL takes a guy who runs good NFL routes over a guy who is faster, taller, better production, etc. This is what I have a problem with. The NFL should see route running as a teachable skill since college isn't teaching it to their standards. Not as a relatively fixed metric like height or 40 time.
NFL teams don't have time to teach a guy that is a poor route runner how to get better at it. Remember when Chad "Ochocinco" joined the Patriots? Bad route runner. Wasn't where Brady wanted him. They didn't put up with his BS and got rid.

If I'm ET, I'm only working on route running and precision this summer. It's massively important to build the trust with your QB.

NFL teams don't have time to teach a guy that is a poor route runner how to get better at it.
A very interesting point that feeds into about 75 other NFL arguments (need for a minor league, using college football for free development, the CBA being a conveyor belt for young players, etc.)

NFL teams don't have time to teach a guy that is a poor route runner how to get better at it. Remember when Chad "Ochocinco" joined the Patriots? Bad route runner. Wasn't where Brady wanted him. They didn't put up with his BS and got rid.

If I'm ET, I'm only working on route running and precision this summer. It's massively important to build the trust with your QB.
and as a Giants fan whos had to deal with Shockey, Plaxico and then Rueben Randle running whatever route they want, a lazy route...or the wrong route, respectively, it can be quite frustrating to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom