Anae and co's success here is news in Utah | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anae and co's success here is news in Utah

If Syracuse was Alabama, they’d be seen as a championship team fighting through adversity, but since they’re Syracuse they’re seen as a frauds getting lucky.

Minnesota who lost to purdue? Heros facing adversity, Syracuse who beat purdue? Lucky.
Doesn't that make sense though? Teams are viewed through the lense of recent history. For a team that is recieving some positive press and gaining some respect, as shown by us being ranked in both polls, we seem to have an awfully big chip on our shoulders.

Let's attempt to have some objectivity. We have yet to beat a ranked opponent. There is reason for outsiders to hedge their bets. In the next three weeks we have an opportunity to make noise. Respect will come if can win some of these next few and then finish the season strong.

P
Doesn't that make sense though? Teams are viewed through the lense of recent history. For a team that is recieving some positive press and gaining some respect, as shown by us being ranked in both polls, we seem to have an awfully big chip on our shoulders.

Let's attempt to have some objectivity. We have yet to beat a ranked opponent. There is reason for outsiders to hedge their bets. In the next three weeks we have an opportunity to make noise. Respect will come if can win some of these next few and then finish the season strong.
It’s preseason bias, simple as that.

P

It’s preseason bias, simple as that.
It's not bias. We've sucked for the better part of twenty years and the good teams tend to stay good while the bad teams tend to stay bad. We have to prove ourselves. If we want to make early season noise, we have to beat a respected team early. Louisville was hyped early because of Cunningham but has stumbled. Virginia has not looked good. We know UConn is crap and Wagner is the worst FCS team in the country. Purdue looks solid but is 3-2. If they take care of business the rest of the way that will be a good win, but we'll have to wait for that.

We've begged the AD to not overschedule OOC so we could get some early season success. We got what we asked for and it has worked. We're ranked in both polls. What more do you want right now? We're not going to be seen as world beaters until we beat someone that is well thought of, which is who we have in front of us.

Give our resume and recent history to any other team and you'd agree.

CNYers have this unique ability to find a way to be insulted by anything. I think we just like feeling as if the world hates us so we can flip them the bird.

Last edited:
It's not bias. We've sucked for the better part of twenty years and the good teams tend to stay good while the bad teams tend to stay bad. We have to prove ourselves. If we want to make early season noise, we have to beat a respected ream early. Louisville was hyped early because of Cunningham but has stumbled. Virginia has not looked good. We know UConn is crap and Wagner is the worst FCS team in the country. Purdue looks solid but is 3-2. If they take care of business the rest of the way that will be a good win, but we'll have to wait for that.

We've begged the AD to not overschedule OOC so we could get some early season success. We got what we asked for and it has worked. We're ranked in both polls. What more do you want right now? We're not going to be seen as world beaters until we beat someone that is well thought of, which is who we have in front of us.

CNYers have this unique ability to find a way to be insulted by anything. I think we just like feeling as if the world hates us so we can flip them the bird.
Re: getting the OOC scheduling right, last year was such a big missed opportunity, but a) we needed to transition away from DeVito at QB and b) we needed to take the offense in a different direction from Gilbert.

Are we able to do those things if we beat Rutgers and make a bowl?

It's tough. If we do those would be really, really hard decisions.

It's not bias. We've sucked for the better part of twenty years and the good teams tend to stay good while the bad teams tend to stay bad. We have to prove ourselves. If we want to make early season noise, we have to beat a respected ream early. Louisville was hyped early because of Cunningham but has stumbled. Virginia has not looked good. We know UConn is crap and Wagner is the worst FCS team in the country. Purdue looks solid but is 3-2. If they take care of business the rest of the way that will be a good win, but we'll have to wait for that.

I’m not insulted, I’m just recognizing that 5-0 for some teams are different then 5-0 for others, even with equally terrible schedules. I’m not sure why you feel the need to act like you have some uniquely and unflappable takeaway on a discussion that valid points on both sides. CNYer have such a unique ability to think their takes aren’t hot garbage.

Talk about cherry-picking facts.
“After finishing the 2001 season ranked No. 18 in the country, Syracuse didn’t crack The Associated Press Top 25 a single time until 2018, when it finished the campaign ranked No. 15. The Orange then were ranked for two weeks to start 2019, but haven’t been since. Until this week.”

Come on, that’s a grand total of three seasons since 2018 that we haven’t been ranked. And it’s really only 2 seasons because NO ONE should count 2020 b/c of all the disruptions caused by Covid nationwide. Plus, Cuse had tighter protocols because of NYS rules and a extreme amount of opt-outs and injuries. Lots of teams haven’t been ranked in 2 or 3 years.
I don't know. It seems accurate to me. Essentially they're saying our 2018 ranking was a blip, and it was. We started the next season ranked and fell on our faces. Did covid and the opt outs hurt? Absolutely. But which opt out players were going to turn the team into a ranked one? Our 4th string RB ended up being better than the 3 we lost. The DBs we lost were injured more so than opt outs. Was our oline affected by opt outs? I don't remember losing anyone significant there and we were atrocious there. Our QBs and WRs were bad regardless.

Our offense has sucked since 2018 and looks much better in a short time since Anae and Beck arrived. That's the main point of the article, and it's right. Everyone on this board has said it, but if someone outside of our fanbase says it, they're somehow dumping on us.

Last edited:
Re: getting the OOC scheduling right, last year was such a big missed opportunity, but a) we needed to transition away from DeVito at QB and b) we needed to take the offense in a different direction from Gilbert.

And that was 100 percent on Dino. His coaching last year and decision making was God awful

Yeah. In a perfect world, we get Anae and Beck last year, we have a solid season, and we come into this year with momentum, both internally and with regards to outside perception.

I’m not insulted, I’m just recognizing that 5-0 for some teams are different then 5-0 for others, even with equally terrible schedules. I’m not sure why you feel the need to act like you have some uniquely and unflappable takeaway on a discussion that valid points on both sides. CNYer have such a unique ability to think their takes aren’t hot garbage.
Who has an equally terrible schedule that is 5-0 and viewed better than us?