And so it begins re: PSU recruit | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

And so it begins re: PSU recruit

@BFeldmanCBS
8th player to leave PSU program MT @azc_obert: OL Ryan Nowicki just told Illinois coaches he'll be playing for them, leaving Penn State

Guess it paid off for those Illinois coaches.
Yes because they went after what they wanted and or needed.We did not.At least not according to all the writers on the sites we all visit.:bang:

Don't know why people think Dukes would be able to come in, one week before camp, and learn the playbook, settle into a new team, and new school, and easily start for us. He wouldn't beat out Smith or PTG, who have 3 years in the offense now, and he might not even beat out AAM. We also have Morris and McFarlane, and a commit in Edwards. We also have a playmaker track star recruit in Laray Smith. That's 7 potential RBs on the roster next season. Why do we need to bring in another?

Don't know why people think Dukes would be able to come in, one week before camp, and learn the playbook, settle into a new team, and new school, and easily start for us. He wouldn't beat out Smith or PTG, who have 3 years in the offense now, and he might not even beat out AAM. We also have Morris and McFarlane, and a commit in Edwards. We also have a playmaker track star recruit in Laray Smith. That's 7 potential RBs on the roster next season. Why do we need to bring in another?
So...is Smith coming here? Give it up bnoro.

If Ameen-Moore is finally in shape, then we don't. And maybe that was the key to the decision, I know Marrone had mentioned that "promises" had been made, so that seems reasonable.

The thing I don't quite understand is that Texas, LSU, USC, FSU, Cal, Rutgers, NC St., and now Illinois have all benefitted from this situation, yet we're located 4 hours north coming off a 5-7 season with roster space open and haven't benefitted from the PSU situation. And if depth wasn't a concern and if we didn't have needs, we wouldn't be adding JUCO's out of the blue at the 11th hour. Just makes me wonder...

If Ameen-Moore is finally in shape, then we don't. And maybe that was the key to the decision, I know Marrone had mentioned that "promises" had been made, so that seems reasonable.

The thing I don't quite understand is that Texas, LSU, USC, FSU, Cal, Rutgers, NC St., and now Illinois have all benefitted from this situation, yet we're located 4 hours north coming off a 5-7 season with roster space open and haven't benefitted from the PSU situation. And if depth wasn't a concern and if we didn't have needs, we wouldn't be adding JUCO's out of the blue at the 11th hour. Just makes me wonder...
With the exception of Rutgers, which is simply inexplicable, every school in that list is probably a more attractive destination that SU at this acute moment in time.

@BFeldmanCBS
8th player to leave PSU program MT @azc_obert: OL Ryan Nowicki just told Illinois coaches he'll be playing for them, leaving Penn State

Guess it paid off for those Illinois coaches.

A WR (Brown?) may be off to Okie.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If we are not talking to any PedSt players I hope it isn't because of Marrone's friendship with O'Brien nor because of what Marrone said the other day about what message it sends to kids here now (or however he worded it). To me, that isn't winning D1 football. We aren't a loaded powerhouse that doesn't need anyone.

If we are not talking to any PedSt players I hope it isn't because of Marrone's friendship with O'Brien nor because of what Marrone said the other day about what message it sends to kids here now (or however he worded it). To me, that isn't winning D1 football. We are a loaded powerhouse that doesn't need anyone.

Exactly where I was going with my comment. If it's case of no players that we could use being interested, ok, so be it.

Seeing Nowicki going to Illinois is more or less the reason for my comment. He's a quality lineman that we offered out of high school, he's at a position of need, and he's going to a school that has a profile that isn't much different than SU's.

None of the returnees have shown they can stay on the field.

If we are not talking to any PedSt players I hope it isn't because of Marrone's friendship with O'Brien nor because of what Marrone said the other day about what message it sends to kids here now (or however he worded it). To me, that isn't winning D1 football. We aren't a loaded powerhouse that doesn't need anyone.

Spot on... my thoughts exactly. If these other schools have room, so do we.

None of the returnees have shown they can stay on the field.
Has anyone other than PTG really been given a chance?

Dukes is going to stay at PSU anyways so lets stop belittling our own players for a guy that no one knows how he'd react if he came here.

I thought it was interesting how Marrone actually said Jerome would start out #1. I don't think he's ever given an indication like that other than to say hopefully someone emerges from the competition.

The staff must be pretty confident with him.

a kid goes to usc. a nj kid goes to rutgers, a b10 lineman goes to a b10 school . a kicker we dont need leaves.

and we are still a lower 100 type school to most, unless a kid liked us before he went to PSU or has some clear NY connection why would you expect anyone to come here?

So...is Smith coming here? Give it up bnoro.

Give what up? Dukes never would have even qualified here anyway based on his academic situation ... which is still up in the air at PSU ... why bother chasing him?

Give what up? Dukes never would have even qualified here anyway based on his academic situation ... which is still up in the air at PSU ... why bother chasing him?
I wasn't referring to Dukes...I was referring to HS senior Laray Smith.

I wasn't referring to Dukes...I was referring to HS senior Laray Smith.

After going back and rereading it I missed the tone ... now I know what you meant ... text is dead ... its all in how you read it ...

I hope you are right, as he is "the guy" now. But if he had very good speed, why use him only on 3rd and short situations? And wouldn't it be good to have two guys with good pwoer and speed so you can alternate them, as we used to do with backs, to keep them fresh and give you alternatives if someone gets hurt?

Maybe he was the best guy in practice at the 3 and 1/2's. We see he has speed by the times and hopefully we'll get a chance to see what he can do.

If he can stay healthy...why I think DM should've pursued Dukes...however, with Redd gone Dukes might of changed his mind to stay anyways. With these defections I think they'll struggle to find 5-6 wins as they are rebuilding this year.

Staying healthy for some does seem to be harder than for others and I agree I hope he does stay healthy and we have a helluva battle for the RB spots...a good battle that is of talent not poke and hope!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom