And so it begins re: PSU recruit | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

And so it begins re: PSU recruit

IB: I went back through the 2009 class. As far as I can tell, this guy is not a scholarship player. Not listed as a scholy commit in either Rivals or Scout.

So, I'm guessing he's a walk-on at Penn State. Could be wrong, though. He may have been awarded a scholy after initially walking on.
I never heard of him and I follow recruiting in NYS closely. I agree, very likely this kid was a walk on.

Says he wants to be a software developer. He might be one to stay at PSU if he is in a specialized program.

Regardless of who or how many [if any], any player seeking to leave PSU will have to decide really quickly. Doesn't camp start in less than two weeks? That means the wheels need to be set in motion ASAP to facilitate the transfer, and that the decision needs to be made really quickly to get that process rolling.

All of which adds up to: we should know very, very soon whether SU is going to have any PSU players come our way. Or not.

Phillips and Jones would be the two that would be most likley, IMO knowing their history, relationships with coaches, HS coaches, etc. I believe that Phillips was considering transferring earlier this summer. I just don'tunderstand how people could think it would be anymore than 1-2 kids that we will ever wind up with from PSU. Last time I checked there are plenty of other 1A schools with the same objectives.

If Marrone is any type of coach, and understands the game, he will land the entire offense and defense from PSU, all this with the the PSU HC being one of his best friends, who is a first year HC in an almost impossible situation. That would make for a nice chat on vacation. Come on Doug, What is wrong with you? Get it done... It's just "business" Unreal

So I guess with your reasoning, with O'Brien being one of Marrone's best friends, it's completely out of the realm of possibility that O'Brien would be aware of kids that he coaches that would like to transfer and would want to stay local? And it's also completely out of the realm of possibility, being good friends with Marrone, that he would let Doug know about those kids and/or try to steer them towards the school that one of his best friends coaches at?

This doesn't just have to be about "well he's my friend I don't want to steal his players". These guys are adults you know...

Here's another question. I read where at least one player, a highly-regarded linebacker, had decided a few months back to return for his final season at Penn State rather than enter the NFL draft. Wonder whether, in light of the unique circumstances, there might be another supplemental draft to address his situation and perhaps others'.

I say try to seal the deal on the NY players with Dukes (RB), Lynch (RB/LB), Urschel (G), Jones (DT), Phillips (WR), and Obeng-Agyapong (DB). Then I would go after Nassib (DE-Ryans brother), Golden (WR), Belton (WR), and a couple of linemen.

I think we can get Nassib and Jones if they did transfer. Would be nice to come out with 2 DT/DE, 2 LB/DB, 2 OL and 2 WR.

Why would they disrupt themselves? The penalty was/is a joke. WhoTF cares about past games? They were played and revenues received and players moved on with their lives. This is a pure Non Sequitur.:bang:
The penalty is way over hyped. They are buying their way out. What it hurts is getting marquee players like the #1 QB who want to be in big bowls. They will still get the country boys of PA to play there. They still however have a future punishment by the DOE, expect another huge fine from them, as well as 10-15 civil suits.

The penalty is way over hyped. They are buying their way out. What it hurts is getting marquee players like the #1 QB who want to be in big bowls. They will still get the country boys of PA to play there. They still however have a future punishment by the DOE, expect another huge fine from them, as well as 10-15 civil suits.

I don't know--I read a great article today that talked about why having those games invalidated was a HUGE penalty for PSU / Paterno, given the circumstances, whereas they wouldn't be that big of a deal for just about any other team / coach. But for Paterno, it is another nail in the coffin for his legacy, stripped him of the all-time wins record, etc.

Makes a lot of sense when you think about it that way.

Let's be realistic here. At most, we'd get one or two recruits. Even if we just 'help someone out' by letting them spend their last year or two here, you build up some good will with HS coaches. I'm fine with that. If we get a possible difference maker, like D'quan Jones, then I'm more than fine with that.

But we're not coming away with several recruits. We were only in on a handful of these players the first time around.

Most likely number: zero. Doesn't mean you don't try.

Let's be realistic here. At most, we'd get one or two recruits. Even if we just 'help someone out' by letting them spend their last year or two here, you build up some good will with HS coaches. I'm fine with that. If we get a possible difference maker, like D'quan Jones, then I'm more than fine with that.

But we're not coming away with several recruits. We were only in on a handful of these players the first time around.

Tend to agree--if we land any, I'd expect it to be 1-3 at most. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sign me up for an OL and a WR, and I'd be pretty happy.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Your signature is a nice picture of the Penn State administraiton in the Paterno era.

1-2 decent players would be fine. I think the big boost would be recruiting against them the next 3-4 years. (Let's hope the Bernie Fine thing continues to fade away.)

12 decent players would be fine. I think the big boost would be recruiting against them the next 3-4 years. (Let's hope the Bernie Fine thing continues to fade away.)

12! Dang. It's like you expect Marrone to throw up the Jolly Roger! :)

I say try to seal the deal on the NY players with Dukes (RB), Lynch (RB/LB), Urschel (G), Jones (DT), Phillips (WR), and Obeng-Agyapong (DB). Then I would go after Nassib (DE-Ryans brother), Golden (WR), Belton (WR), and a couple of linemen.

I think we can get Nassib and Jones if they did transfer. Would be nice to come out with 2 DT/DE, 2 LB/DB, 2 OL and 2 WR.
Not sure you are serious... but we have like 2 open spots. I would prefer Daquan Jones and Donovan Smith if we could have anyone.

I say try to seal the deal on the NY players with Dukes (RB), Lynch (RB/LB), Urschel (G), .

Urschel is quoted in today's Buffalo News as saying he is staying put at Penn State. Makes sense, he's a senior-to-be.

"Urschel, a senior, expects to start on the offensive line when camp opens Aug. 6, while Lynch is an incoming freshman with a seemingly much tougher decision ahead of him.

Urschel graciously deflected questions about what factors led to his decision to stay, and how’s he’s been handling the situation. “Honestly, these aren’t really things we can talk about right now. We’re sending all things related to [head] coach [Bill] O’Brien. I’m a Penn State football player and that’s not going to change.”

Lynch was not available for comment on Monday."

Not sure you are serious... but we have like 2 open spots. I would prefer Daquan Jones and Donovan Smith if we could have anyone.

I thought the transfers wouldn't count towards the 85 scholarship players that a school can already have. So in theory we could take the entire PS footbal team and call it SU.

I thought the transfers wouldn't count towards the 85 scholarship players that a school can already have. So in theory we could take the entire PS footbal team and call it SU.

You can exceed 85 this year only. After that, they count against the 85 so you need to have room. So if a Soph transferred we'd still have to have scholarship room for his JR and SR season.

FightOnState.com@FightOnState
Mauti and Zordich publicly declare their support of #PennState w/30+ other players this AM at #PSU's practice field

IMHO I don't think that too many Soph, Jr, or Srs will transfer. Too settled into the program and the school.

FightOnState.com@FightOnState
Mauti and Zordich publicly declare their support of #PennState w/30+ other players this AM at #PSU's practice field

IMHO I don't think that too many Soph, Jr, or Srs will transfer. Too settled into the program and the school.
I don't know about Sophs, but for Jrs and Srs who care about obtaining their degree, when students in general transfer late in their academic career, very often course credits from another school can't be applied towards the degree requirements at their new institution, so they end up having to matriculate an additional semester or two. This isn't a big deal for Fr. and Sophs.

From a football perspective, a Jr or Sr. might miss out on a bowl game or two, and the better players have the option of declaring early for the draft. But for players just getting started in their collegiate careers, it has to be difficult to accept never being able to contend for a national or B1G championship, and never having the opportunity to play in (another) bowl game. I also wonder how the players will be treated by opposing fans when they play on the road.

I don't know about Sophs, but for Jrs and Srs who care about obtaining their degree, when students in general transfer late in their academic career, very often course credits from another school can't be applied towards the degree requirements at their new institution, so they end up having to matriculate an additional semester or two. This isn't a big deal for Fr. and Sophs.

From a football perspective, a Jr or Sr. might miss out on a bowl game or two, and the better players have the option of declaring early for the draft. But for players just getting started in their collegiate careers, it has to be difficult to accept never being able to contend for a national or B1G championship, and never having the opportunity to play in (another) bowl game. I also wonder how the players will be treated by opposing fans when they play on the road.

I also think that it is going to be an "us against the world" mentality for the PSU team.

These rah-rah statements by the PSU senior leaders are all well and good. But these guys have a lot more invested in the University, and have a lot less to lose by staying compared with the younger players.

@ESPN_BigTen No Penn St players will attend Big Ten media days. Silas Redd, John Urschel & Jordan Hill had been scheduled to attend

Most likely number: zero. Doesn't mean you don't try.

The best thing about getting any PSU transfers is that it doesn't count towards the total scholarships for the school. Problem is all the big schools are hanging out like vultures homing in on the PSU football team.

The best thing about getting any PSU transfers is that it doesn't count towards the total scholarships for the school. Problem is all the big schools are hanging out like vultures homing in on the PSU football team.

That's true, but the schools don't get to pick which players will want to go there.

A lot of factors will go into what the individual players evaluate when it comes to the decision to leave, and the relative importance of those various factors will vary by each kid. Some might chase opportunities for PT. Or they might choose to play somewhere closer to home. Or given the tumult / uncertainty of the last year at PSU and the short timeframe they have to make this life altering decision, they might be more comfortable going to a school where they have a pre-established relationship with a coach.

The ones that leave aren't all necessarily going to end up at football factories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom