And there you go... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

Jordan Tucker left Duke. Must be K's fault.

Quade Green left Kentucky. Must be Cal's fault.
Awesome reply. Give two examples that are nothing like the Carey situation.

Quade was productive at UK and left because he was recruited over.

Jordan Tucker had a tough time getting on the floor on a team with 5-6 NBA guys.

Not at all like the Carey situation.

Listen, I just want to know if there is some secret stash of kids out there that can dribble with both hands while in motion...are they being replaced, and by who? Where are these unicorns??? Are they transferring too? What happens elsewhere? I'm confused!!!

I suppose it could be relevant...if you're Jordan Tucker, I can see why you transfer. If you're at a school loaded with 5 stars, it kinda makes more sense to me. We're not really close to approaching that.
So because we have a kid who is considered one of our better ranked recruits getting replaced by kids who are much farther down the rankings that's where your issue is? We are running off our prized recruits with scrubs and that's a bad look? Maybe he doesnt transfer and sticks it out which would be great but I wouldnt put money on that. The nature of the business in college sports now is to transfer.

Exactly - that's what long leash refers to.

"This team needs perimeter shooting. He's shooting like crap in November. But he should get minutes and find his rhythm because we need that to happen."
U realize these coaches watch practice every single day right? They dont just base this ish off non conference games. It was said leading up to games last year how great buddy was shooting the ball even when he was struggling in non conference games. Carey had every opportunity and it's crazy to think otherwise. The coaches felt confident that eventually buddy's shot would fall and they were correct. That's what the team needed. :confused:

U realize these coaches watch practice every single day right? They dont just base this ish off non conference games. It was said leading up to games last year how great buddy was shooting the ball even when he was struggling in non conference games. Carey had every opportunity and it's crazy to think otherwise. The coaches felt confident that eventually buddy's shot would fall and they were correct. That's what the team needed. :confused:

That's exactly what a long leash describes.

You're not disagreeing with anything I'm saying, seems like we're talking past each other.

Disagree. It's been stated numerous times the playing time in non conference. It had nothing to do with a long leash and everything to do with buddy have something the team needed that carey couldn't provide. Coaches knew he was by far our best option as a shooter and that's why he got the opportunity. Carey was given every chance early on to get his playing time and didnt capitalize. It became clear what our team needed going forward last year and it wasnt more turnovers.. .it was buddy's shooting.

Absolutely spot on. Frank was hurt the whole damn year. If Carey could have been better with the ball and just set people up, he would have played a LOT more. Frank sucked last year, after showing much promise as a junior, The minutes were there to be had.

Absolutely spot on. Frank was hurt the whole damn year. If Carey could have been better with the ball and just set people up, he would have played a LOT more. Frank sucked last year, after showing much promise as a junior, The minutes were there to be had.
Everyone has a different idea of what a long leash means so good luck lol. What's a standard size leash anyways?

Hop coached the bigs from 2012 until he left.

Correct. But the fall off in leadership and mentality of the kids ( which is often most evident in our guards) has been obvious. I believe JG3 has some of that naturally and again it's a huge shift that maybe just needed to work its way through. But there is no question that whether he coached the guards or not, his presence and tenacity was doing something.

Awesome reply. Give two examples that are nothing like the Carey situation.

Quade was productive at UK and left because he was recruited over.

Jordan Tucker had a tough time getting on the floor on a team with 5-6 NBA guys.

Not at all like the Carey situation.
so you're really going with the argument that transferring out of unproductive, underachieving players is unique to Syracuse?

Well we all know JB likes the choker type anyways...not like that's something new! Guy is such a D@#k!

Buddy's leash was long for the first two games in which he went 2-18 from 3.

After than, he only got more than 7 minutes of playing time in 5 of the next 13 games. In those 5 games, he was the hot hand 3 times, shooting 10 for 22 from three. He also had an 0-5 against Colgate and a 3-11 against Ga. Tech.

It was only with the Pitt game, where he went 4-5 from three, that he really forced his way into the rotation and remained there for the rest of the year.

Carey was eating up all those available minutes until about the beginning of January, so he had plenty of opportunity to take Buddy's minutes, but he didn't.

I suppose it all depends on perspective - if we start with the assumption that both are shooting guards coming out of HS...…where do you go from there? I mean, the leash has to be, at a minimum, of a very different type. No?

If you think JC, Frank, etc...are/were natural PGs, and not something we decided we could do with them.….I suppose a different argument is being made.

He reminds me of Dungey in that regard. Fearless, aggressive, tough, and with enough skills and attitude to make opponents hate him. We'll see if he can have the same sort of legacy as Eric. I love his lack of fear of pressure and the big moment.
Big time athletes relish big time moments.
That's when they're at their best.

An uptempo offense? We actually kind of had one of those yesterday.

It was when Carey wasn't on the floor.

I was thinking about that, somewhat ironic that Jalen's chance at meaningful minutes would be as a result of being benched. for the reason you state, we became somewhat uptempo with JG3

You could see this playing out in the exhibition games. I hope JC stays and lives up to his potential, but he isn't the best pg for the team. He wouldn't be the best sg either.

Frank Howard got benched his sophomore year and had a good junior year. Just hope he sticks it out.

Self confidence is such an interesting piece of sports
so, too, is humility

if jc is willing to honestly assess his play, he can still find a way to be useful to this team. he can be a nice change of pace backup to buddy at the 2 for 8 minutes a game. he can be the point man/disruptor when we need to go to the press. he and brycen at the top of the zone might be our best defensive lineup.

but he has to give up the idea that he is going to be a syracuse point guard.

Speaking of confidence, I saw some growth in Marek in that regard last night. His hustle has always been there and hopefully his shooting confidence will improve. Last night he was 2-3 FG, 3-4 FT and 6 boards (4 offensive). Obviously his end to end rush with a spin move for a dunk was dramatic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom