And there you go... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

I wanted (and want) badly for JC to be a great player for us. But, for whatever reason(s), he just doesn't have it right now and it's a better team with him on the bench. Hope he can get it together at SU, but I'm guessing we've seen the last of him here.

Let's look at the other side: after a season and two summers in the program, would you pull the plug now, after one start against what we're claiming is the best defense of the modern era and five minutes against Colgate?

Other than taking a dumb 20-footer, I'm not seeing what Carey did to justify the quick hook and no return. Girard wound up putting together a nice game (with his share of ugly shots), but no Syracuse player -- especially the guards -- was anything better than bad for the first quarter of the game.

What I do see is a string of five or six seasons where Boeheim's brought in a highly-ranked and hand-picked guard recruit to play point, evidently a high-ceiling type of kid, and the player's confidence has been rattled early on and apparently has been aggravated further by benching and weird public remarks. Joseph, Howard, Carey...these faces change while one constant remains.
He was benched for not running the offense. In 5 mins he took 3 shots. 0-2 from the field, 1-2 from the line. I believe we were down 9-1. After 2 summers and a season he can either run the offense or he can't.

I think the problem that some fans have with the Carey’s poor play and lack of development is that we’ve been spoiled as fans with our quality guards over the span of 44 years. Really only Kaleb was a bust. Other than him we’ve been super spoiled by the quality of our guards so we tend to expect every guard recruit to be a star.

So Kaleb was a bust. Frank was a semi-miss but he was always a flyer. We had high hopes for Jalen, just didn’t seem to work out. Anyone could see there were potential flaws in his game when he couldn’t beat out Frank.

Pearl
Sherm
Autry
Sims
Hart
Griffen
GMac
Flynn
MCW
Ennis

I’m probably missing a couple, but that’s a long line of great guards. Heck, even Mike Edwards and Rock Lloyd could hang.
SweetD, Scoop, the list goes on... Carey does not have the upside to ever make this list. Girard might.

a two guard that can’t shoot
Can’t agree with you. It was said that he worked on his shot over the Summer and the evidence is limited. I think his stroke is much improved. His mindset is offense first and he just isn’t a fit at point.

Thought it was alluded to in another thread by AZ or maybe I'm reading too much into it? He might've said something after the game, that forced this decision/announcement?

H.Washington looked better in his minutes tonight than Carey
Carey is by far the superior athlete. The problem is he is bing asked to play PG without PG skills.
Washington probably lacks the athletic ability to contribute at the ACC level, but his instincts and handle at the point are far better than Carey's.

No. Keep the cute quips for someone else. This board has had it in for him ever since he got here.

I don't think that's fair to say. Carey got lots of run at the beginning of last season and played himself out of the rotation. He got another chance later in the season, but didn't do much better.

I think he's an outstanding defender. He is fast down the court, but he is too out of control. He lacks the feel for the game of a true point guard. He doesn't really generate any offense in the half court. He dribbles into traffic too much and has trouble finishing at the rim.

There's a lot of evidence that he just doesn't get it.

The problem with JB is a kid will go from starting to never playing again. It makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense if you know JB’s coaching style. He plays the guys that gives him the best chance to win. But he also gives guys chances to be one of those guys that he’ll play. It’s up to the players to maximize every opportunity they’re given.

The problem with JB is a kid will go from starting to never playing again. It makes no sense.

Eh, JB plays players he thinks will help him get a win today. I know some don't like it and I agree there is some validity to the argument against that policy, but it's hard to argue with the man's record -- including the sweet 16 berth two years ago with a team that many felt should pack it in and play young players b/c the season was lost. I'm not saying he's right all the time but I think he feels he's seen enough and we need to move forward with guys who help us win. Not sure I can totally disagree with that.
Where I think JB is open to criticism is the idea to bring JC in to play point initially but that's a different discussion.

He was benched for not running the offense. In 5 mins he took 3 shots. 0-2 from the field, 1-2 from the line. I believe we were down 9-1. After 2 summers and a season he can either run the offense or he can't.

Yeah, people are acting like JB made a decision after 5 mins tonight. To be fair, JC struggled last season for long stretches, was OK but not lights out against poor competition in Italy, didn't play terribly well on that US team and then had so-so exhibition games. It's not like he simply had 5 bad minutes tonight.

Absolutely not true...I think everyone would be thrilled if he was playing well and we could keep JG3 off the ball.

everyone is frustrated that he hasn’t gotten better. I’m not even convinced it’sCarey’s fault.

Some kids can’t play with a short leash...and JB can crush a young players confidence.
Wish he got half the leash Buddy got last year

No doubt in my mind something happened at halftime. Unless there’s an injury, I can’t ever recall a starter not starting the second half no matter how badly he played.

Transfer portal news can’t be too far away, either.

Carey has been given every opportunity, in my opinion. He was average at best in Italy against bad competition, not very good in the summer tour before that and has been poor to start the season.

Some players need more time to mature but unfortunately for Syracuse, they need players ready to play right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom