And there you go... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

Let's look at the other side: after a season and two summers in the program, would you pull the plug now, after one start against what we're claiming is the best defense of the modern era and five minutes against Colgate?

Other than taking a dumb 20-footer, I'm not seeing what Carey did to justify the quick hook and no return. Girard wound up putting together a nice game (with his share of ugly shots), but no Syracuse player -- especially the guards -- was anything better than bad for the first quarter of the game.

What I do see is a string of five or six seasons where Boeheim's brought in a highly-ranked and hand-picked guard recruit to play point, evidently a high-ceiling type of kid, and the player's confidence has been rattled early on and apparently has been aggravated further by benching and weird public remarks. Joseph, Howard, Carey...these faces change while one constant remains.

There is no disputing the disappointment of the recruiting for the PG position. Having said that I'd disagree on the take for his first 5 mins. Didn't think his shots were bad but the energy with Girard on the floor was dramatically different it's just tough to watch JC play the point. Wish he could have gotten a bit of run off ball but it doesn't seem as if that's going to happen.

His energy and feisty attitude defensively was impressive. It will make him a fan favorite and a JB fav -- no doubt.
i wonder if the normal fans know we call him jgiii? it would be awesome to hear thunderous chants of 25000 cheering for him like the "mvp!" chant

j!
g!
3!

j!
g!
3!

Wish he got half the leash Buddy got last year

People love to say that, but Buddy only got the longer leash after he earned it. He played 52 mins combined in the first two games against creampuffs and was awful. The next seven games he played 55 mins combined. After that is when he started to come on and earned himself more minutes. 12 points in 17 minutes against Bonaventure. 13 points in 19 minutes against Pitt. 12 points in 15 minutes against Miami. 13 points in 21 minutes against BC followed up by 16 points in 23 mins the next BC game.

Conversely, Carey played 187 minutes in his first 9 games, and after a strong showing in MSG, regressed drastically, but not for a lack of opportunity. 0 points in 18 minutes against Colgate. 4 points in 15 minutes against OSU. 4 points in 17 minutes against Northeastern. 3 points in 23 minutes against Georgetown. 4 points in 19 minutes against Bonaventure. 0 points in 12 minutes against Georgia Tech, which was the last time he saw anything over 10 minutes.

The "Buddy didn't earn more playing time over Jalen" crowd doesn't have much of a leg to stand on when actually analyzing the stats. Jalen had lots of opportunities and didn't capitalize. Buddy took advantage of the opportunity that he was given (eventually at Jalen's expense) and made the most of it. I mean people act like he should be playing at Le Moyne, and yet he averaged 8 ppg in ACC play on 56% from the field and 41% from three. He was our most consistent deep threat, by far.

Welp...Jalen just deleted every photo of him in Syracuse gear from his Instagram :(

Sounds about right.

I think we're in good shape - if we can continue to do poorly with fairly well regarded recruits, and very well with plucky under-recruited types, we're definitely going to turn this ship around quick!

People think Howard Washington looks okay? Huh.

Wish he got half the leash Buddy got last year
jalen played 225 minutes in the out of conference portion of the schedule vs 147 for buddy
then 16 in the first two conference games vs 9 for buddy
and then in the third game, jalen turned the ball over 4 times and went 0 for 2 while buddy hit three triples with a pair of rebounds, an assist and no turnovers.
and that is where their paths diverged

People love to say that, but Buddy only got the longer leash after he earned it. He played 52 mins combined in the first two games against creampuffs and was awful. The next seven games he played 55 mins combined. After that is when he started to come on and earned himself more minutes. 12 points in 17 minutes against Bonaventure. 13 points in 19 minutes against Pitt. 12 points in 15 minutes against Miami. 13 points in 21 minutes against BC followed up by 16 points in 23 mins the next BC game.

Conversely, Carey played 187 minutes in his first 9 games, and after a strong showing in MSG, regressed drastically, but not for a lack of opportunity. 0 points in 18 minutes against Colgate. 4 points in 15 minutes against OSU. 4 points in 17 minutes against Northeastern. 3 points in 23 minutes against Georgetown. 4 points in 19 minutes against Bonaventure. 0 points in 12 minutes against Georgia Tech, which was the last time he saw anything over 10 minutes.

The "Buddy didn't earn more playing time over Jalen" crowd doesn't have much of a leg to stand on when actually analyzing the stats. Jalen had lots of opportunities and didn't capitalize. Buddy took advantage of the opportunity that he was given (eventually at Jalen's expense) and made the most of it. I mean people act like he should be playing at Le Moyne, and yet he averaged 8 ppg in ACC play on 56% from the field and 41% from three. He was our most consistent deep threat, by far.

Eh, Buddy had a different kind of leash than anyone else ever had. Again, I was all about it, and think it was maybe one of the few instances where we did seem to handle a young player that had early season struggles well, but the leash was undoubtedly different imo.

Not sure how he can come back from this. What we’ve seen since the couple promising first couple games last year hasn’t been bad play it’s been awful. Lots of guys who are great athletes aren’t great at basketball. He was given a chance to come back improved.

Nothing against him off the court.

Goodine and Washington need the minutes. Buddy and Girard aren’t finished products and I want to be able to give them a rest especially nights they are off.

9EF4A434-E131-40D0-8538-4F54B5B2930C.png

He already took down all his Cuse photos

i don’t have Instagram but my son said his profile picture still has him with his SU uniform on.

Eh, Buddy had a different kind of leash than anyone else ever had. Again, I was all about it, and think it was maybe one of the few instances where we did seem to handle a young player that had early season struggles well, but the leash was undoubtedly different imo.

Buddy was a DNP somewhere in there one game.

Even at the peak of Buddy’s struggles when all of us questioned his spot on the team it was still obvious to all that we desperately needed outside shooting with Battle and Brissett bricking everything. His biggest strength being our biggest need got him chances where others may not have and JB just shortens the rotation. Even when he was missing no one questioned Buddy’s shooting form. ACC play started and they started to drop and he also turned into a good player all around despite the competition ramping up.

The last thing we need is a guy who is going to pout and make it all about him. I support our guys and want them all here. I think Carey has a high ceiling if he could get out of his own head. Unfortunately this looks like it has turned into a situation where he is not going to fight through adversity. If he is going to become a poor teammate and play the “poor me” card, I would rather him leave now. Bad attitudes can really affect a team’s chemistry and this young team doesn’t need it.

I believe he mostly played the 2 in high school?

Even in his 26 point game last year, he was getting eaten alive when he played point early on. He got it going playing off the ball, didn’t he?
No he settled down and played mostly PG the rest of the way.
That first game against UConn. He scored Like 30, got stripped about 6 times. Weird debut.
3-4 of those strips were in the first few minutes when he was clearly rattled. Once he settles down, he played fairly well. He just looks very nervous out there. He needs to relax and let the game come to him as a PG.

The last thing we need is a guy who is going to pout and make it all about him. I support our guys and want them all here. I think Carey has a high ceiling if he could get out of his own head. Unfortunately this looks like it has turned into a situation where he is not going to fight through adversity. If he is going to become a poor teammate and play the “poor me” card, I would rather him leave now. Bad attitudes can really affect a team’s chemistry and this young team doesn’t need it.

He can leave now and have 3 to play at his next school think Quade at UW. Best for everyone.

I want Goodine and Washington to get as many minutes as possible these cupcake games because I will not be shocked to see JB leave Girard and Buddy out there for 40 minutes certain nights in ACC play.

i don't care that its not true nor if it even makes any sense, but if jalen is gone the spin i'm going with is jb got word at the half from the jackson family and decided to make that extra scholarship available tonite

he is the most physically talented guard we have, and probably the most talented individual player we have. having said that, he just doesn't seem to have what it takes to compete at a high level, just another whiff by this staff. to play basketball at a high major level requires talent of course but more than that, especially for an undersized guy like carey, it requires a discipline and tenacity to get better. and it is just apparent that this guy doesnt have it, he is getting clowned by colgate and a 300 virginia recruit for crissakes. i dont think that girard is better or has a higher ceiling, but at least he is trying.

I don't know why Coach Boeheim made him the starting PG this year after last season's results, I thought Washington or Girard should've started and go from there.

I think Carey would do best in a 3-guard system where he didn't have to be the primary ballhandler or a great shooter.

Unfortunately, a lot of these kids have no idea as to how to deal with any type of adversity. From the minute they show some promise on the court , they have been told by their handlers, aau coaches, etc, that they are destined for nba stardom and when reality hits the fall is fast and hard. Carey needs to look only at himself, focus on working on his game and ultimately attempt to reearn a place in the rotation. If that is not the case, then yes, it is best for all that he look to play elsewhere.

I don't know why Coach Boeheim made him the starting PG this year after last season's results, I thought Washington or Girard should've started and go from there.

I think Carey would do best in a 3-guard system where he didn't have to be the primary ballhandler or a great shooter.

I’m good on a guard who can’t shoot or handle the ball. Even if it were high school or hell pickup I’d say the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom