And there you go... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

I don't know why Coach Boeheim made him the starting PG this year after last season's results, I thought Washington or Girard should've started and go from there.

I think Carey would do best in a 3-guard system where he didn't have to be the primary ballhandler or a great shooter.

What exactly would be his role if he weren't handling the ball?

I don't know why Coach Boeheim made him the starting PG this year after last season's results, I thought Washington or Girard should've started and go from there.

I think Carey would do best in a 3-guard system where he didn't have to be the primary ballhandler or a great shooter.
Omg, Washington isn’t an ACC level starter. Anybody with a brain can see that.

You want a 2 guard who shoots less than 20% from 3?

I'm not sure what I'm missing but I completely underestimated the Jalen Carey love on this board. I must be watching completely different bball but He's not a high D1 basketball player.

Carey could use his penetration from the two spot while Girard pulls the defense out with his jumper and uses his passing ability to get the ball to Carey. I'm not saying that is our best combo . I'm just saying that that combo could work. Carey's just not a point guard.

JC's been practicing several months now for the coaching staff every day. he was named starter cuz he sucks ?
what a great judge of talent sits on our bench ! all guards no less !

Well, they're certainly not the judge of talent you are......

We all saw how that worked out for Kaleb Joseph who was thrown into the fire because Jim failed in having a proper transition.
A. That presumes Kaleb could have been a player under different circumstances.
B. Kaleb was the transition.

Let's look at the other side: after a season and two summers in the program, would you pull the plug now, after one start against what we're claiming is the best defense of the modern era and five minutes against Colgate?

Other than taking a dumb 20-footer, I'm not seeing what Carey did to justify the quick hook and no return. Girard wound up putting together a nice game (with his share of ugly shots), but no Syracuse player -- especially the guards -- was anything better than bad for the first quarter of the game.

What I do see is a string of five or six seasons where Boeheim's brought in a highly-ranked and hand-picked guard recruit to play point, evidently a high-ceiling type of kid, and the player's confidence has been rattled early on and apparently has been aggravated further by benching and weird public remarks. Joseph, Howard, Carey...these faces change while one constant remains.
I agree to a point, but the offense ran much smoother when Girard entered the game.

Carey could use his penetration from the two spot while Girard pulls the defense out with his jumper and uses his passing ability to get the ball to Carey. I'm not saying that is our best combo . I'm just saying that that combo could work. Carey's just not a point guard.

could he though? We have almost zero evidence to believe he could.Not sure i want a guy that shoots 50% at the rim that struggles to pass driving very often.

I’m sad that this is the way things turned out but the simple fact is that Carey has been a terrible player in his time here.Seeme like a good dude and I feel bad for him but that’s just the fact of it.

Got hooked after five minutes in which everyone played poorly. This board has wanted him out since he took the court. Y'all are getting what you wanted.

He’s not the best PG on the team. Of course most want him out as the starting PG. No one is saying he’s a bad guy and I hope he continues to improve but fans want the best lineup to win the most possible games.

What does Carey do better than Girard? Defense? Even so we don't really seem to lose much when he's been up top the 2 games.

Girard is the better shooter. He pushes the ball better(even though some want to claim Carey can push it). He sets guys up in their sweet spots to score better. He uses the PnR better. He passes better.

I believe last night I saw our first fast break alley-oop since Triche graduated/MCW went to the NBA.

I think some people want to see Carey do well, but the skill is not there. If he leaves this opens up time for Goodine as well who I really really like as a prospect.

JB is not kidding around. He feels the heat about the offense and is sick of being on the bubble.

My opinion is if we stuck with Carey for 30mpg is we were going to be white knuckling to 19 wins again and we still may with Girard/Goodine, but hopefully it's by a score of 70-75 instead of 55-60.

Also athleticism is overrated in basketball IMO. Some of our best guards have not been great athletes(scoop/Rautins/pearl etc) and I happen to think Girard is more athletic than people give him credit for.

Well there’s IJs scholarship.

i’ll be happy if we can keep him as 2G depth, he has a nice midrange J and is a better defender than any of our other guards. No reason to play Buddy 35 a game vs ACC opponents.

Couple of observations

JG3 - has shown to do many things better. Energy, passes, pace, and shooting. One thing I noticed in the 2nd half is JG3 would do a little look/fake around the 3 point line and it drew attention. It opened up the court, and it is very difficult to imagine Carey ever drawing such attention. Even though JG3 was 1/4 from outside, they treated him like a legit threat and that matters

Guard depth - it still feels like lots of minutes are up for grabs. While JG3 is the front runner now, he will have bad games, matchups, foul trouble, etc. We've only played two games. If Carey throws in the towel, either due to attitude or coach signaling, it would be great to give Bryce some minutes. Buddy has added some more elements to his game, but he should sit 5-10 minutes especially if he is cold from outside. In 2-3 years, it feels like JG/Bryce could be the main guards and we could have a very good team.

No. Keep the cute quips for someone else. This board has had it in for him ever since he got here.
I like his potential a ton. The problem is he is a 2 that isn’t a great shooter from outside and he is too clumsy with ball. Super athlete. I hope he turns it around. Jim has to take a bit of flack here for the fifth time trying to turn a 2 into a 1 and its way different game.

I hope that Carey sticks but odds are hes gone.
Goodine and Washington are both solid. Goodine checks all of the boxes. I actually think that he has as much upside as any player on the team.

Unfortunately, a lot of these kids have no idea as to how to deal with any type of adversity. From the minute they show some promise on the court , they have been told by their handlers, aau coaches, etc, that they are destined for nba stardom and when reality hits the fall is fast and hard. Carey needs to look only at himself, focus on working on his game and ultimately attempt to reearn a place in the rotation. If that is not the case, then yes, it is best for all that he look to play elsewhere.
I feel this post is incredibly unfair. From all reports Carey handled adversity last season quite gracefully and has worked hard to improve.

We're not seeing the results on the court we hoped for. That's no reason to make assumptions about any personal failings on Carey's part.

Wish he got half the leash Buddy got last year
You should re-check the game logs from last season... I think your memory is way off with that comment.

After starting the first two games last year (and not playing well at all), Buddy was benched. Jalen was 100% ahead of Buddy in the rotation starting from the UConn game (Nov 15th) up until the Georgia Tech game (Jan 12th). Buddy was a DNP in both the Ohio St game and the Buffalo game, and essentially got garbage time minutes (5 minutes or less) against Cornell, Georgetown, ODU, Notre Dame and Clemson.

It was the Georgia Tech game where Buddy hit three 3s to sort of keep us in the game (a game in which Jalen played 25 scoreless minutes!), and from that point on Buddy got the PT. And by the way, Buddy shot 41.3% (36-for-87) from 3-pt range the rest of the way after that Georgia Tech game, So it's not like he was stinking up the court, and JB stubbornly kept him out there with a 'long leash', as you're implying...

Jalen has gotten more than a fair chance to prove himself, and let's face it - the results simply have not been good.

Girard officially named starting PG by JB.

Feel bad for Carey...good kid.
I'm glad JB made this announcement and I feel bad for Carey too. I bet it's a blessing and a curse to be really fast as a youngster. He was probably so much faster than everyone else that everything was too easy and he didn't need to develop other parts of his game. Easy to get bad habits. I don't care how fast you are, guards need to be able to shoot and run a team in the half court.

Got hooked after five minutes in which everyone played poorly. This board has wanted him out since he took the court. Y'all are getting what you wanted.

Well, maybe everyone was playing poorly on offense because of poor PG play? Chicken...Egg...

We all know there’s not minutes available in the 2 spot. Its likely an unfortunate fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom