And there you go... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

Should I pull up the threads and posts saying that he sucks? There's plenty of evidence. Many here said he shouldn't even start this year.
Dude he does suck RIGHT NOW. He’s unplayable at times. Do we want our own players to suck? Of course not. But he just hasn’t played good enough and it’s that simple. I would love to seen Jalen come out next game off the bench and COOK, then turning it into a successful season because I loved the kid coming out of high school I mean sheeesh look at my picture it’s literally him.

Did anyone keep this same energy for Boeheim as they are with Carey when he buried Christmas his first two years?

he didn’t bury Rak.

And didn’t you go after Marek saying he was garbage? Or Moyer who you said sucked? You seem to pick and chose which players can be criticized.

I think the problem that some fans have with the Carey’s poor play and lack of development is that we’ve been spoiled as fans with our quality guards over the span of 44 years. Really only Kaleb was a bust. Other than him we’ve been super spoiled by the quality of our guards so we tend to expect every guard recruit to be a star.

So Kaleb was a bust. Frank was a semi-miss but he was always a flyer. We had high hopes for Jalen, just didn’t seem to work out. Anyone could see there were potential flaws in his game when he couldn’t beat out Frank.

Pearl
Sherm
Autry
Sims
Hart
Griffen
GMac
Flynn
MCW
Ennis

I’m probably missing a couple, but that’s a long line of great guards. Heck, even Mike Edwards and Rock Lloyd could hang.

first game was a draw. girad3 played 22 minutes carey 18. both guys 1-6. JC more boards JD3 more to's. now after 5 minutes against colgate one is finished ? c'mon. this reeks of classic JB doghouse.

was there anything that excited you about the game? As usual all you’ve done is complain.

JC's been practicing several months now for the coaching staff every day. he was named starter cuz he sucks ?
what a great judge of talent sits on our bench ! all guards no less !

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I’m perplexed on how someone could look at Jalen’s play and claim he deserves to play over the other guards.

He had ample opportunity to be the starting point guard for this team. At some point you have to make a move in another direction if the player isn’t developing.

I was perplexed on how someone could look at Jalen's play last year and annoint him the starting PG this year. I said as much in the preseason. He looks exactly the same as last year and that won't cut it. Good post.

Something had to have happened at half. I don’t ever recall a JB announcing that a player is being benched going forward in a post game interview—I mean ever.

Very very peculiar.

Feel the same way -- I wonder if something occurred at halftime.

No other explanation for him not plyaing.

Feel the same way -- I wonder if something occurred at halftime.

No other explanation for him not plyaing.
I agree. And we have been here since day 1 with JB.

Jalen was not good in either of the first two games. Girard was better. But unlike seemingly many, I’m far from ready to give up on him. He is playing tight and looking over his shoulder. His greatest asset is his speed and Cuse hasn’t really had many fast break chances in the first two games.
I would have liked to have seen JB put him back in the game so something good could have happened that he could build on, like what happened with Quincy. Instead he is likely sitting in South Campus wondering how he already lost his starting job. His confidence has to be low, his shot looks awful from the field and the line. His handle is shaky.
But I don’t think Jalen is Kaleb II. I’m not sure his shot will allow him to be the player we hoped he would be but I do think when he calms down he will score in transition and play disruptive d. I also think he will break guys down and hit some mid range jumpers.
Whenever a guy plays poorly some on this board can’t wait to beg for a transfer. Don’t be that guy. Carey will help and likely sooner than most think.

You would continue to start Carey if you were the coach?

Let's look at the other side: after a season and two summers in the program, would you pull the plug now, after one start against what we're claiming is the best defense of the modern era and five minutes against Colgate?

Other than taking a dumb 20-footer, I'm not seeing what Carey did to justify the quick hook and no return. Girard wound up putting together a nice game (with his share of ugly shots), but no Syracuse player -- especially the guards -- was anything better than bad for the first quarter of the game.

What I do see is a string of five or six seasons where Boeheim's brought in a highly-ranked and hand-picked guard recruit to play point, evidently a high-ceiling type of kid, and the player's confidence has been rattled early on and apparently has been aggravated further by benching and weird public remarks. Joseph, Howard, Carey...these faces change while one constant remains.

Let's look at the other side: after a season and two summers in the program, would you pull the plug now, after one start against what we're claiming is the best defense of the modern era and five minutes against Colgate?

Other than taking a dumb 20-footer, I'm not seeing what Carey did to justify the quick hook and no return. Girard wound up putting together a nice game (with his share of ugly shots), but no Syracuse player -- especially the guards -- was anything better than bad for the first quarter of the game.

What I do see is a string of five or six seasons where Boeheim's brought in a highly-ranked and hand-picked guard recruit to play point, evidently a high-ceiling type of kid, and the player's confidence has been rattled early on and apparently has been aggravated further by benching and weird public remarks. Joseph, Howard, Carey...these faces change while one constant remains.
I think something happened at the half. But...I saw it differently than you did. I thought Carey was dreadful. I thought if he stayed in the game, losing was on the table. The team just looked better with him on the bench. Do we blame JB for Josephs non play at the school he transferred to? Was that JB's fault or was Joseph just not very good. We got to a sweet 16 with Howard and then he got hurt in his sr year. It's still very early for Carey. I hope he finds it. But right now, he isn't very good. And worse yet, the team isn't very good when he is leading it. I believe if Carey stays in and plays the whole game, it is at best a nail biter. The better player right now was in the game in the second half. He also had 4 games in Italy to impress.

Him not sitting next to Boeheim after getting pulled is telling. I don’t think he likes Coach. I don’t think he wants to listen to what he has to say. It’s not all on Carey because Boeheim looks like an SOB to play for sometimes. None of us are behind the scenes though. We don’t know how many 1on1 conversations these 2 have had with each other. We have no idea the relationship between player/coach but my guess is Carey is disrespectful of coach and his team. Boeheim said Joe was starting in a way that seemed like Carey did something either after getting pulled or during half.

The poor kid has no backing from the Syracuse fan base. He get pulled and the entire team goes nuts for Girard. Girard has done nothing that is far superior Carey. Kid missed a mid range open jumper and immediately pulled and never whiffed the court the rest of the year. SU is starved for athletic guards who can get out and run and putting Carey in purgatory to me means Boeheim is done with him and he may as well leave now. No real fair shake for a kid with so much talent.

he was handed the starting gig in italy and given every opportunity to keep it. but in every game since then, he has been outplayed by one of or both freshmen.

he had a fair shot and couldn't secure it. such is life.

6 minutes isn't a quick hook when the team doesn't score a FG with Carey running the offense. All of the sudden, they take him out, put in JGIII, and we magically have an offense.

But Carey isn't the problem... ok. I hope he can still turn it around but it's not looking great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom