Class of 2016 - Andrew White iii... the third | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White iii... the third

Status
Not open for further replies.
If #2 is the case, that leaves a bit of a sour taste, IMO. He doesn't have a better deal on the table, but he's going to milk the SU situation in the hopes of more guarantees, and right up until the start of practice? Not exactly a team-building move. Everybody has the right to pursue the best deal they can, but there comes a point in every negotiation where pushing further has a cost in lost trust and good will. I agree with everyone who's said we need this guy for an NC run, and I remain optimistic that'll ultimately join the team, but I don't like how the AW camp has handled this
I couldn't agree more man...

dyedorange said:
If #2 is the case, that leaves a bit of a sour taste, IMO. He doesn't have a better deal on the table, but he's going to milk the SU situation in the hopes of more guarantees, and right up until the start of practice? Not exactly a team-building move. Everybody has the right to pursue the best deal they can, but there comes a point in every negotiation where pushing further has a cost in lost trust and good will. I agree with everyone who's said we need this guy for an NC run, and I remain optimistic that'll ultimately join the team, but I don't like how the AW camp has handled this
I've never understood guarantees in the context of sports. Guaranteed starter? Because after that what can you guarantee and what result if the guarantee isn't met?

1) not easy to discuss guaranteed roles with JB in Rio
2) when olympics are finished or sooner if AW3 wants to accept current terms. I have heard there is no reason for JB to recruit him (make any more promises than he has) because no major team can promise more. Sure VCU could but I've heard he's ruled them out as well as Miami. Comes from the same source that told me he wasn't going to Michigan State

Not shooting the messenger in any way, shape, or form.

I guess I have difficulty believing that JB wouldn't be more on top of this. I get that right now he's focused on USA Basketball, but he's only got two years left before his announced retirement date. Two more seasons, two more teams, and then that's it. Nothing is a guarantee, but adding White would go a long way toward strengthening the 2017 team and enhancing the team's prospects toward making another run--which is ultimately the goal. Why wouldn't he and the staff be doing everything to secure this kid? With the sand trickling out on the hourglass of a HOF career, you'd think that Boeheim would be pulling out all the stops to have an opportunity to get back to the final four.

Again, not doubting you--I just find it hard to believe that JB would disappear and leave such an important issue unresolved / dangling in the breeze.

I guess I have difficulty believing that JB wouldn't be more on top of this. I get that right now he's focused on USA Basketball, but he's only got two years left before his announced retirement date. Two more seasons, two more teams, and then that's it. Nothing is a guarantee, but adding White would go a long way toward strengthening the 2017 team and enhancing the team's prospects toward making another run--which is ultimately the goal. Why wouldn't he and the staff be doing everything to secure this kid?

Again, not doubting you--I just find it hard to believe that JB would disappear and leave such an important issue unresolved / dangling in the breeze.
but (assuming o13's scenario is legit) what more could JB/staff do right now? They (apparently) laid it out for AW/family and explained what his role would be. I mean (again assuming this is the scenario), do you really think JB is going to acquiesce to their demands and say what they want to hear?

RF2044 said:
Not shooting the messenger in any way, shape, or form. I guess I have difficulty believing that JB wouldn't be more on top of this. I get that right now he's focused on USA Basketball, but he's only got two years left before his announced retirement date. Two more seasons, two more teams, and then that's it. Nothing is a guarantee, but adding White would go a long way toward strengthening the 2017 team and enhancing the team's prospects toward making another run--which is ultimately the goal. Why wouldn't he and the staff be doing everything to secure this kid? With the sand trickling out on the hourglass of a HOF career, you'd think that Boeheim would be pulling out all the stops to have an opportunity to get back to the final four. Again, not doubting you--I just find it hard to believe that JB would disappear and leave such an important issue unresolved / dangling in the breeze.
How do you know he hasn't? He can't force a commit.

RF2044 said:
Not shooting the messenger in any way, shape, or form. I guess I have difficulty believing that JB wouldn't be more on top of this. I get that right now he's focused on USA Basketball, but he's only got two years left before his announced retirement date. Two more seasons, two more teams, and then that's it. Nothing is a guarantee, but adding White would go a long way toward strengthening the 2017 team and enhancing the team's prospects toward making another run--which is ultimately the goal. Why wouldn't he and the staff be doing everything to secure this kid? With the sand trickling out on the hourglass of a HOF career, you'd think that Boeheim would be pulling out all the stops to have an opportunity to get back to the final four. Again, not doubting you--I just find it hard to believe that JB would disappear and leave such an important issue unresolved / dangling in the breeze.

but (assuming o13's scenario is legit) what more could JB/staff do right now? They (apparently) laid it out for AW/family and explained what his role would be. I mean (again assuming this is the scenario), do you really think JB is going to acquiesce to their demands and say what they want to hear?

I really don't understand what else they can do, we just went to a final four, had two players drafted, the kid is going to get a lot of minutes on this team, what else is he looking for?

I didn't claim that he hasn't--I was responding to post #1050 above, which said that they can't discuss AW3's role due to JB being in Rio.

I've got a calling card with some minutes left on it that I could part with if that's the problem.

I'm also not trying to shoot the messenger but something doesn't add up. Seems to be some misinformation out there.

This has been my concern all along. I don't pretend to know him or his motivations, but it seemed from the start that he wanted two things: 1) Play for a top-notch school. 2) Be 'the man' on the team.

2 is fine if he wants to earn it. It's not fine if he wants it handed to him right off the bat. Like I said before, he's good. He's not THAT good.

I didn't claim that he hasn't--I was responding to post #1050 above, which said that they can't discuss AW3's role due to JB being in Rio.
Don't you think the staff and the Whites had significant discussions on that prior to Olympics? Again, if JB laid it out for them, what can he do now other than keep repeating it?

I guess I have difficulty believing that JB wouldn't be more on top of this. I get that right now he's focused on USA Basketball, but he's only got two years left before his announced retirement date. Two more seasons, two more teams, and then that's it. Nothing is a guarantee, but adding White would go a long way toward strengthening the 2017 team and enhancing the team's prospects toward making another run--which is ultimately the goal. Why wouldn't he and the staff be doing everything to secure this kid? With the sand trickling out on the hourglass of a HOF career, you'd think that Boeheim would be pulling out all the stops to have an opportunity to get back to the final four.

Maybe this is JB's way of responding. Have you ever been involved in a negotiation where you are asked for something multiple times and you've answered multiple times that you aren't going to meet the request, sometimes the best response is to not respond or not rush to respond.

This has been my concern all along. I don't pretend to know him or his motivations, but it seemed from the start that he wanted two things: 1) Play for a top-notch school. 2) Be 'the man' on the team.

2 is fine if he wants to earn it. It's not fine if he wants it handed to him right off the bat. Like I said before, he's good. He's not THAT good.
#2 seems to be extrapolated from board speculation, that is now starting to be tossed out there as fact. He could have been "the man" at Nebraska. If that were his goal, he wouldn't have left. Right?

Don't you think the staff and the Whites had significant discussions on that prior to Olympics? Again, if JB laid it out for them, what can he do now other than keep repeating it?

Sure. In which case, I would have expected a commitment already if said commitment is in fact imminent as has been shared. It doesn't make sense for things to be dragging out this long.

He's also visited two other big programs, and reportedly eliminated them. I don't think there are too many other options out there for him at this point. School starts in ~2 weeks. Tick, tick, tick.

Also, I'm hearing rumblings that JB's offer is not indefinite.

Sure. In which case, I would have expected a commitment already if said commitment is in fact imminent as has been shared. It doesn't make sense for things to be dragging out this long.

He's also visited two other big programs, and reportedly eliminated them. I don't think there are too many other options out there for him at this point. School starts in ~2 weeks. Tick, tick, tick.
Just speculation on my part, but I think the elder Mr. White is clearly driving the bus here and is trying to play hardball

#2 seems to be extrapolated from board speculation, that is now starting to be tossed out there as fact. He could have been "the man" at Nebraska. If that were his goal, he wouldn't have left. Right?

My guess (I'd like to stress that it's a guess/assumption) is that he wants both, not one or the other. Nebraska gave him the minutes but lacks the prestige. Syracuse has the prestige but might not have the minutes/role.

RF2044 said:
got it

to sum up, they do have phones in Rio.

and that boat JB is on, may have space ship to get him back to CNY in an hour if need be to get this done.

while JB may think its below him to call from Rio, its not below Hop.

the Rio excuse is wearing thin...

Just speculation on my part, but I think the elder Mr. White is clearly driving the bus here and is trying to play hardball
He can't do it too much longer or he's going to be flying a plane full of rubber dog sheet out of Hong Kong.

JB is forcing their hand.

My guess (I'd like to stress that it's a guess/assumption) is that he wants both, not one or the other. Nebraska gave him the minutes but lacks the prestige. Syracuse has the prestige but might not have the minutes/role.
I hope the delay isn't because of a push for minutes at the #2 to showcase NBA SG potential. That would be silly: 1) he's hardly an ideal fit for SG in college (at least at SU) and if he has trouble staying in front of very quick ACC guards that may sour scouts on his M2M abilities; and 2) pro scouts will evaluate his NBA skillset regardless of what position he plays in college. He'd be better off playing his natural (college) SF position WELL and leading the team to a deep tourney run, with some spot minutes at SG when matchups are favorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom